TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help swift gti mk3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:02 pm 

Hi.
My car is not burning fuel right, it smels a lot of fuel at idle, and i'm having worst fuel consumption. My car just has some minor mods, larger pipe, headers and an air filter, but i think that the plugs i'm using are not doing its job (ngk bpr6es), (i dont have pictures right now but they looked great but they had a white tone) should i go with bpr7es? g-power? Iridium?

Another thing, i want to upgrade my braking system, is there any other brake pump that is just plug and play? A bigger one?

Post subject: Re: Help swift gti mk3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:04 pm 

imo if your CR is stock (10:1, measured around 14bar/200psi - on stock cams) bpr6es are ok..
also if plug is brown then it's not running really rich.. what is your consumption?
if it smells fuel at idle, it could be only idle problem..

anyway, test MAF, re-set TPS, check all fuel lines and injectors for leaking, test distributor, coil and cables.. replace plugs if they're old..
basically test/check/replace anything that could be connected with air, fuel and spark delivery 8)

do you use stock ECU, without changed eprom? and which one? some have afr adjusting knob somewhere near fuses under dash..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:16 pm 

Thanks for the answer. What about using the G-power model of the same plugs?
How to test check my distributor or the coil?

I'm on stock ecu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

thr only use i have found for iridium plugs is to keep an engine running after the rings are so bad that ngk coppers oil foul. typically, i don't like them or run them in any suzuki g family engine.

also, i cannot think of one single good reason to change the spark plugs' heat range on your engine. your engine doesn't sound like it has any internal changes or boosted application that would drastically alter the engine's fire deck temperatures.

the suzuki swift gt came equipped with an extremely robust ignition system so there's no real reason to change anything on the stock ignition. my argument is that it may not be the "best" ignition system compared to the current state of the art but it is very reliable and effective.

i have run my engine way above the red line, to the place where the valve train floats, many times without an ignition glitch on the oem parts.

as a general rule of troubleshooting, i wouldn't make any changes to the spark plugs or anything else from the oem system until you get whatever problem you have been having with the car properly sorted out.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 pm 

Check you timing, when I got my first swift off a guy I noticed really bad mileage and other things similar to your explanation. I checked the timing and it was retarded by quite a bit. I think stock is 6 degrees? 10 degrees is a nice advance for performance and mileage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:00 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Lets not forget that the GTi runs pretty rich anyway. Most have an odor of fuel at idle anyway.

If it is really strong, perhaps your injectors are leaky and may need servicing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:43 am 

about spark plugs, we use bpr6es even on rally cars with almost stock compression (stock pistons and head shaved only 0.5mm, 1.2mm gasket) we tried some "racing" plugs but all we got was problems..

for checking things, follow instructions in this book:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36373