TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:06 pm 

I'm currently running an 89' Mk2 GTi, and am wondering what kind of suspension you would suggest. I'm planning on dumping a lot of money into this and making it a FWD Rally build. (considering I can't find an AWD tranny anywhere..)
The question I'M TRYING to ask is, what kind of coilovers do you suggest for an amateur build?
Give me links, give me ideas.
Fuck, show me some cool ass builds you have for your rides, or any you've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:27 am 
Teamswift Racer

Dude you want to rally a 25 y/o car? I can only think of about 5 people on this site over the last 10 years who rallied swifts, they have all moved onto newer cars.
There's no doubt about it, the g13b is one of the most powerfull small engines ever made but the gearbox and the suspension are major achilles on these cars, yes you can work around these issues if your pockets are deep enough.

Leda, Proflex and Bilstein are the shocks I've seen on Gravel swifts, all have been custom made, the swift has the shortest front struts of just about any Mac strut vehicle ever made, the rear has a clamp which is unique to the swift, nothing fits off the shelf :(
The reality is unless you're racing on short and smooth stages you need monotubes, getting the 'knee' in your compression damping where it changes from slow speed to high speed damping is the key, these cars have a short wheelbase and pretty narrow track so they pitch and roll a lot.

The koni double adjustables that I run would be ok for smooth rally sprints but even then the rears need to be custom made, the front you could use the 8611 race insert with a donor front strut from a vw golf or MR2 etc.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54584&hilit=+koni+race

This was gravel spec leda's for sale a while back viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53349&hilit=+koni+race#p399178

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:49 am 

we still have swift for tarmac/gravel rally and hillclimb (we only change/adjust suspension)
gearbox is major problem, yes.. probably large frame box is only real solution, but it's not fia homologated
about suspension, we use protlum race shocks and springs ( http://www.protlum.eu/web/en/1-About-us.html )
we're in EU and i have no idea about getting those in USA..
anyway those cost about 2200eur here (including tax and shipping around eu) they have external reserviors that are adjustable by 3-9bar (no slow/fast bump and rebound clicks, i know it's not that good, but good enough + cheaper and much easyer for non-pro folks to adjust them)
and they build them custom for you.. anything you want.. they also have alot of experience with swifts (tarmac/gravel rally, hillclimb, circuit, trackday,..)
oh and they have "pro race" clicks adjustable coiloves too, they cost a little over 3000eur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:28 am 

Last edited by DeTune on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:08 am 

Guys, he was asking about AMATEUR build rally car, and you are offering him buying a sequential gearbox - which is pointless (for amateur rally it's much too expensive, for professional rally is not FIA approved).
For me swift is great in it's standard form, to make a A-group or Open clas monster there are better cars. Swift is great as an N-group car though.
I use Swift GTI for amateur rallies, rallysprints and autocross. I have rollcage, bucket seats, etc., engine is standard (but rebuilt 2 years ago), gearbox is standard (only FD is changed to 4,56 FIA homologated - which is too long for me), Bilstein B6 dampers with H&R springs. Previous owner using this car won the whole season in his class (<1400) in regional rallies league (FIA license reuqired).
I also know a guy who is running a Gti with very common spec as mine, only the FD is shorter, about 5,0 + Gripper LSD and he wins the 1400 class everywhere he starts + usually he is like 4th-10th in general classification (for 60-80 drivers, top class are evos, stis etc.). He is starting in amateur rallies and hillclimbs.

Infantree,I think the main question is: what type of rallies are you going to attend? Is homologation required or not? What types of surfaces?
And the next question is how much money are you going to spend?
My tip: invest more money in your skills (training, starts, tyres) then in your car. Usually winners are guys with good cars and great skills, not with great cars and average skills.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:13 am 

few videos of my friend's swift..
engine just port and polish, head lowered for 0.5mm, some custom chip in ecu (not sure which one but i guess it's grA chip)
protlum race suspension
gearbox is from fia homologated dogbox to stock.. depends on race :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubd0BAB8COw (fia homologated dogbox, plated lsd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY5pOW3cpDY (synchromesh but same ratios as dogbox, torsen/helical lsd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7cQdfvluM (dogbox, plated lsd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEDKlRAp9ec (stock gearbox, plated lsd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrgsEn9-Zw (first time added 210/340 cams, sandros chip, synchromesh close ratio box with worn out lsd and old tyres :D ) broken valve 3:08

so swift is nice budget race car, good suspension is first thing you should buy, second shorter gearbox and lsd, engine is latest..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:43 am 

Infantree wrote:
I'm currently running an 89' Mk2 GTi, and am wondering what kind of suspension you would suggest. I'm planning on dumping a lot of money into this and making it a FWD Rally build. (considering I can't find an AWD tranny anywhere..)
The question I'M TRYING to ask is, what kind of coilovers do you suggest for an amateur build?
Give me links, give me ideas.
Fuck, show me some cool ass builds you have for your rides, or any you've seen.

I have one rally car for sale ready to race if you don't want to spend all the time building it. Car has 40 mm inverted Bilstein Coilovers all around. Long Travel. Here is the link. http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?7,108663

Christian