TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:54 pm 

@TheINCRide
I suppose its possible there is some cylinder wash but when i do a compression check i disable both fuel and spark so all four of my injectors would have to be leaking for that to be the case so I think its unlikely.

@Fainya
There should be plenty of ring gap, they were not all the same when i checked them so those with smaller gaps i widened out to match those with larger gaps. Once finished they were at the max end of the spec in the manual ( could that be where i went wrong? ), i'm not worried about not enough gap seeing as the compression is not as high as it was before and i have noticed the engine almost runs too cold thanks to my new radiator (something i might have to address with a different thermostat at some point). So i don't think i will ever have the rings get hot enough to close up their gap and break, if anything i am wondering if there is too much gap. I have been running non synthetic oil for the break in as suggested and both the valves and guides are new, I had Mike @ 3Tech build me a head with his 222/365 cams. And i cleaned my injectors and MAF the best i could without professional equipment. As for the pistons they are modified Honda pistons, cast aluminum NPR pistons and rings sourced by beachedbru and machined by mike http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59386

@ROV
You have 12:1 pistons? what Octane gas do you run, where is your timing set, and where did you get them / who makes them? I wouldn't know how to even begin accurately calculating my compression ratio so I take mike at his word that the first set i got were 12:1 and the ones i'm running now are 11:1 ( and humor me, what do you mean "twin dellorto with stock dizzy" )

So far everything is going ok, i'm making good power the only problem is lower than expected compression and a slight lugging / quiet knocking ( not the detonation kind, but the more mechanical kind ) at 1000rpm idle that speeds up with the engine but is drowned out buy 1500 - 2000, so i'm hoping it has to do with the crazy cams and not something else.

At this point i am seriously considering putting the stock cams back in just to see what compression it gets with them and how it sounds but if i'm going that far then the question is should i go further, should i pull the head yet again and measure the bores properly and throw some higher quality rings on it? I really don't know. I was also thinking of sending a set of cams to Mike to get a slightly less aggressive grind so i don't loose all the power i have gained yet i don't rattle my teeth out on the way to the shop every morning. I love these cams but they are pretty rough.

And lastly if anyone is still reading this I am also seriously considering building a turbo motor out of my original power train that's siting in the back of my shop, Thoughts anyone? Can someone link me a few good threads on turbo builds and what is required? Or pm if you have the expertise and patience to give me some pointers on where to start?

Thanks for all the input, please post your suggestions, opinions, and/or mad ramblings i appreciate it all.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi, A work in progress as always.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:33 pm 

fainya wrote:
If your injectors have more then 100,000 on them, replace them.
Close up the air gap in your distributor to 0.014"

Replacing stock injectors with new oem ones is impossible. There is none available. (I wish there was)

What do you mean by closing air gap in distributor?

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:34 pm 

Perhaps the gap between the rotor shaft and the pickup / cam sensor?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 am 

Well my rant posted above must have been too long or something, i was hoping for more response but Que Sera Sera i suppose. Anyway I'm starting to strongly believe the noise i'm hearing at idle that i mentioned in my post above is piston slap. I am becoming convinced my shiny new motor is overbored which is disheartening as that likely means pulling the motor and having it bored to fit .020 oversized and having a third set of custom pistons made.

I also have a the problem of not being able to be sure if my cylinders are out of spec until i pull the head and pistons to measure it but i don't want to pull anything apart until i have the parts because last time i did this i ended up with the car in pieces for a month or two while waiting for parts. A catch 22 so to speak.

One solution to this problem is to do a "quick" rebuild of my original stock motor (the one i would like to turbocharge eventually). Mainly just bearings, rings, and swap the new head over. then swap my stock motor for the current modified one till i can finally get the pistons to fit properly in the little bugger. All of which will end up costing me more then expected / planed for.

Also there is the possibility i run into the same problem with the old motor and find that the cylinders are out of spec and need bored, Its not the end of the world but i really don't want to have to try to find decent quality oversized pistons for it.

Really i have 2 questions, If i do have slight to moderate pistons slap how long can i drive it like that, and where would one find decent quality .020 oversized pistons if necessary?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:54 am 

Can you record the sound you're hearing and post it to youtube?

Stock pistons can be bought from napa.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:18 am 

At the moment even with the largest resonator i can fit under the car it is likely to loud to hear anything else on a recording however i am going to reinstall my stock cams at least temporarily which will drastically quiet down the idle so i can try recording it then. In the meantime I am looking into the minimum requirements for a basic turbo build for my original motor. I really have no idea where to start but hopefully i can get an idea with research and wading through old posts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:52 am 

Just a random thought:

You are running a "Toms II" chip no?

That tune has a great deal of ignition advance at low load and rpm, i.e. at or near idle, which is good for fuel economy but you could still pinging and this could have been your problem all along (I don't remember, did you go back to stock?). Anyway, all the tuner chips go crazy with advance at low load all the way up the rev range, I guess to improve throttle response and fuel economy, but the irony is that you can then get detonation under those conditions as a result (where it won't, presumably, do much damage, thankfully) but not get any knock when you go WOT. I have no idea why the tuners all did this as it has no effect on max power or torque.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:13 pm 

Your not the only one with this problem! I installed my custom made Honda Pistons at 12:1 comp and within a period of four 10 minute races detonation took out the ring lands on # 4 and 3 cylinders. I am running a 210/340 chip and now believe I need to run a standalone ecu in order to get any useable and reliable power from it. Oh and I was running 105 octane fuel.... Suprf1y has done an amazing job on these Pistons and we should all thank him for putting all this work into these for us but I believe once we get our little cars too modified we need to go standalone in order to prevent these sort of issues... just my 2cents.

1999 suzuki swift ice race car... Dohc engine conversion, 3tech 222/365 cams, bored tb, aasco lightweight flywheel, 4.56 final drive, Welded Diff, cultus intake, srd 4to1 header, spool forged rods, Megasquirt PNP, H&R sport springs and Koni yellow shocks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 pm 

Mile High Racing wrote:
Your not the only one with this problem! I installed my custom made Honda Pistons at 12:1 comp and within a period of four 10 minute races detonation took out the ring lands on # 4 and 3 cylinders. I am running a 210/340 chip and now believe I need to run a standalone ecu in order to get any useable and reliable power from it. Oh and I was running 105 octane fuel.... Suprf1y has done an amazing job on these Pistons and we should all thank him for putting all this work into these for us but I believe once we get our little cars too modified we need to go standalone in order to prevent these sort of issues... just my 2cents.

I truly believe that water / meth is a good solution.

I'm running 15-16psi boost on a stock gt engine. Engine is 20 years old. Before going turbo, it has been abused.
I had my doubts / fear of detonation prior to installing turbo. I looked up some info and water / meth seems like a really logical solution. After a lot of runs on the turboed gt engine with the water / meth system, I really don't want to install a set of brand new low compression pistons i have. If anything, I would love to install some high compression pistons and boost the thing, and spraying water / meth of course. I'm using a 51% water 49% methanol mix.

For a NA gti engine, I think a nozzle of 250cc/min is enough. I'm using a 500cc/min nozzle.

2003-EVO7 GT-A