TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need chip
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:10 am 

Hey guys, want to give some more power to my swift. Currently i have some minor mods like

48.8mm pipe, 4-1 headers, and an intake

From what i have seen the best chip to use on a dialy car its the toms. Anyone suggest another one?

I don't want to have the check engine light on.
I also have a small problem with idle, sometimes it idles high, other times low, can a chip help me even a tiny bit to overcome that?

What true hp gains will the chip give? Are they noticeable?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Need chip
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:21 am 

Sandros chip.

His GT (swifty92) ran a high 14 with that chip and bolt ons.

I also use it and it's the best.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:58 am 

But i heard that the idle is way too rich? That wouldnt help the problem i currently have with idle :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:44 am 
Suzuki Elder

you need to sort out all your idle issues before you start modifying your car. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:55 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
you need to sort out all your idle issues before you start modifying your car. :wink:

+1.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:56 am 

sesfez wrote:
But i heard that the idle is way too rich? That wouldnt help the problem i currently have with idle :?

I have a wideband. Idle is fine.

2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:10 pm 

I sell custom chips, check my signature.

Though I sell chips, I recommend that anyone that is serious about making power tune their ECU with an emulator http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-new-breed-p-169.html. That way you have full control over your fuel and timing maps, but you also need to install a wideband AFR and learn some software.

Chips are still a good option for those that need improved engine management and don't want to spend more than $100, though, and I'd argue that there's a lot of bang for your buck. The gains are not large--in fact you might need quite a few dyno runs to verify that you've gained anything, as they will likely be in the 2-5 hp range--but they are real. HP does not materialize out of thin air, however. Chips develop more power because they raise the rev limiter (reason enough to chip IMO) and use a more aggressive timing map. That more aggressive timing map means you need to run premium gas, but that's where the extra energy comes from.

The downside of a chip is that no chip is ever quite perfect for any car it wasn't dyno tuned for. Sandro's chip does work well, and usually better than Toms, even with milder mods, but it works best in a Cultus-clone engine with 210/340 cams because that's what he had in his car when he had it tuned. A great deal of work and thought went into making the Toms chip and it was designed, in theory to work well in many setups, but no one I know has gotten good dyno results with it (poorer than stock, actually). I have a library of tunes including both Toms, Sandros and the one I use on my own car that is probably a decent match for your mods (I run a Cultus intake and extractor with standard pistons). I think my chips are the "best" because I combine the maps you choose with the OEM code for your specific ECU, so I can gaurantee you will not have a CEL and your OBD I codes will function normally. Further I am the only vendor that will leave closed loop operation intact so that your ECU can make adjustments to keep you AFR correct at cruise and idle if you choose to do so (which I recommend).

Fix your idle issues first, then send me a PM :D

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:05 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:

The problem might be in the distributor, lets see

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 pm 

Teeth wrote:
I sell custom chips, check my signature.

Though I sell chips, I recommend that anyone that is serious about making power tune their ECU with an emulator http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-new-breed-p-169.html. That way you have full control over your fuel and timing maps, but you also need to install a wideband AFR and learn some software.

Chips are still a good option for those that need improved engine management and don't want to spend more than $100, though, and I'd argue that there's a lot of bang for your buck. The gains are not large--in fact you might need quite a few dyno runs to verify that you've gained anything, as they will likely be in the 2-5 hp range--but they are real. HP does not materialize out of thin air, however. Chips develop more power because they raise the rev limiter (reason enough to chip IMO) and use a more aggressive timing map. That more aggressive timing map means you need to run premium gas, but that's where the extra energy comes from.

The downside of a chip is that no chip is ever quite perfect for any car it wasn't dyno tuned for. Sandro's chip does work well, and usually better than Toms, even with milder mods, but it works best in a Cultus-clone engine with 210/340 cams because that's what he had in his car when he had it tuned. A great deal of work and thought went into making the Toms chip and it was designed, in theory to work well in many setups, but no one I know has gotten good dyno results with it (poorer than stock, actually). I have a library of tunes including both Toms, Sandros and the one I use on my own car that is probably a decent match for your mods (I run a Cultus intake and extractor with standard pistons). I think my chips are the "best" because I combine the maps you choose with the OEM code for your specific ECU, so I can gaurantee you will not have a CEL and your OBD I codes will function normally. Further I am the only vendor that will leave closed loop operation intact so that your ECU can make adjustments to keep you AFR correct at cruise and idle if you choose to do so (which I recommend).

Fix your idle issues first, then send me a PM :D

Thanks for that large explanation! You got a pm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:01 pm 

i used sandros chip in my car with 210/340 cams.. once i went back to stock cams this chip was way too rich..
atm i have some "GrA chip" from guy from australia (redlinegti forum) and it work best with stock cams and compression.. i can use 95ron gas and comsumption is about same as stock chip.. i don't think i gained much HP.. but power curve is for sure much better.. car gets power at lower rpm and it goes a little over stock revs before it lose power (it's useless to go over 7k rpm on stock cams anyway, except maybe a little if you need to push from corner to corner.. or maybe in 1st gear to get better revs once you shift in 2nd)

so it's up to you.. do you want max power on paper or do you want car that will have best power range while driving around?
unfortunately i dont have any dyno graphs or anything to prove my words..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:21 am 

Having more power a low and mid range would be awesome actually