TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 pm 

Can anyone confirm or deny? Also, can you tell me where to get one in the states? :D
(That was sarcasm, because I'm doubting I can get it)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 am 

You can get them in Europe with drums in the back on a regular Swift but if you want the discs then its Japan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:07 am 

DTM GTi wrote:
You can get them in Europe with drums in the back on a regular Swift but if you want the discs then its Japan

I may need to find a way to get them shipped to the states, because that would be amazing for a rally build.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:19 am 
Teamswift Racer

Infantree wrote:
I may need to find a way to get them shipped to the states, because that would be amazing for a rally build.

That depends on your rally rules, most countries I know of will stick you in the same class as Evo's and Wrx's because you are now 4wd, you can't ever be competitive with proper 4wd rally cars no matter how much money you throw at it.

I know of a local swift 4wd rally car that had the rear part of the gearbox blanked off and the rear running gear removed to make it fwd, it was a class winning fwd car.

It's actually a massive job to convert a 2wd swift into 4wd, the rear floor pan is completely different, the steering rack is mounted much higher so the firewall is also different as well, tons of different parts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 am 

Dattman wrote:
I know of a local swift 4wd rally car that had the rear part of the gearbox blanked off and the rear running gear removed to make it fwd, it was a class winning fwd car.

That's strange to me. I've been told that the stock gearbox is weak, (even though the G13 is a strong engine,) and wouldn't be a good build for rally..
Maybe I'm misinformed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:55 am 
Teamswift Racer

The small framed fwd box is weak, very weak, however the 4wd gearbox is much bigger and twice as strong, it can be converted to fwd.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:23 am 

Dattman wrote:
The small framed fwd box is weak, very weak, however the 4wd gearbox is much bigger and twice as strong, it can be converted to fwd.

Well, I know what I'm going to need to invest in!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:15 am 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

The G16B sedan AWD has the same gearbox, more likely available in Northern America.

The other option was that many of the G16B sedans also had a FWD box that is equivalent - the AWD box with the rear transfer blocked off.

Both these gearboxes are dual cable link for the gear change and have hydraulic clutches. So very different from the G13 boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:39 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Buy the bits you need off this guy and use a local J18 box, Shamaze has a thread I think on it.
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=54383