TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where do these wires go?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:10 am 

Hi,
I've recently put a gti engine in my car with the original loom and today I cranked it over and tried to get a spark but no luck. I think the problem is with two terminals that I don't know where they go. One looks like an earth to me but I'm not sure as I don't have any good wiring diagrams.Image
If someone could tell me where these wires go, or tell me where I can get a proper wiring diagram that would be great.
Thanks very much
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:00 am 
Suzuki Elder

now when you say "original loom" does that mean you used the gti wiring harness?

the odd looking terminal with 3 wires is a critical ground that attaches to the rear/ bottom of the intake manifold with an m6 bolt. if that ground is not connected you will have zero injector operation.

i believe that the brown connector is for the solenoid valve on the rear left side of the intake manifold that controls the charcoal canister fuel vapor venting. if you are using parts from a california emissions car the brown connector may be the one for the egr valve. on the wiring diagram a blue/ yellow wire is listed as a power steering control valve but personally, i have never seen power steering on a gt.

pics of the engine and intake manifold would help identify what you have. without the pics it's a crap shoot. ;)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:34 am 

I'm using the original gti wiring harness for the engine. When I connect the 3 wire terminal to ground one of the relays makes a buzzing noise, I wasn't sure weather this was a good or a bad thing but if it's definitely an earth then it must be a good thing? Could it be connected with having no spark?
My engine has no egr valve and the solenoid on the manifold already has a plug so the brown connector probably isn't important.
Thanks for the message, it was really helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:37 am 

Here's the engine, it's in a 1990 suzuki samuraiImage
I know it's not w mk1 because it doesn't have vacuum advance, but I'm not sure weather it's a 2 or a 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:20 pm 

Have you ever run one of those with the GT twin cam before ? They don't have much torque till they hit 4000 rpms. I've got a Gt engine sitting in Arizona that the guy pulled out for that reason.

Ken......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:27 pm 

ive never run one before ken but it wont be getting much use off road. as long as its a beast on the highways ill be happy.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:01 pm 
Suzuki Elder

yeah, one of the grounds on that funky terminal makes the f/i relay pull in to power the injector and ignition circuits. there's a 15 amp fuse in the relay rack for the ignition circuit, too.

unless the chassis wiring is there to support the twincam's ignition circuit you may have some creative wiring to there to get a spark.

i know that when i transplant a twincam into a non-gt suzuki chassis i have to add a wire to get the ignition pulse/ tach signal back to the ecu. the gt ignitor has 3 wires, switched power, coil ground, and ignition trigger. the coil ground then passes through the noise filter to ground and the brown wire from the noise filter sends a signal to the tach and also to a pin on the ecu to prove the ignition event.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:53 pm 

Thanks, that's good to know. I will have a play next weekend and let you know how I get on.

should the fi relay buzz? as if its chattering on and off, or should it just engage and be silent?

Cheers