TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:01 pm 

Hi all, I've been given an old Motec M4 pro and I'm trying to figure out what I could use to set it up on a G13B with dizzy-less ignition. Motec seems to support various denso coils so I'm thinking there must be denso COP coils with builtin igniters out there that have been used in production cars that could be used on a G13B with the Motec. I know a lot of later Toyota's will be running denso coils.

Has anyone out there set-up a Motec using COP coils and what coils did you end up using? I'm looking for a wreckers yard solution rather than buying the extras from Motec.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:07 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Hi Sam

Welcome to Teamswift, I saw your thread on Redline and if you don't get an answer there then I doubt you'll get one here, this site is predomanantly North American based, there are a few of us racing swifts but none are using Motec from memory but there are a few using various different types of COP with ignitors.

Heres one from Chense, don't think hes around anymore, either BMW or Toyota I would think.
Attachment:
Chense.jpg
Chense.jpg [ 222.13 KIB | Viewed 844 times ]

This one might be from a Dutch rallycross car?
Attachment:
Coil on plug.jpg
Coil on plug.jpg [ 367.25 KIB | Viewed 844 times ]

I'm using a separate ignitor module on my microtech, I looked at 2nd hand units but it was only a few dollars more for brand new weapon X coils so it was a no brainer for me, this is a pic of Zuboo's setup, I've copied his little alloy adapters.

Attachments:
Weaponx.jpg
Weaponx.jpg [ 137.73 KIB | Viewed 844 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:09 am 

Thanks for the info Dattman. I've done a bit more digging and it looks like a Toyota/denso 90919-02239 might be the answer. Just need to find some accurate dimensions and see if will fit allowing for an adaptor plate to hold them in place.

As a matter of interest, what did you use for a CAS?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:00 am 
Teamswift Racer

Hey Sam

I'm using a toyota 4afe (ep91 starlet the same) 24+1+1 tooth dizzy with an adapter, just swapped over the dog tooth to suit the suzuki cam, I'm using one of the single tooth wheels for crank angle sense for sequential injection.
Attachment:
Dizzy01.jpg
Dizzy01.jpg [ 194.5 KIB | Viewed 827 times ]

Attachment:
Dizzy02.jpg
Dizzy02.jpg [ 178.85 KIB | Viewed 827 times ]

You can also use the Nissan CAS sensor like Lindsay/Ellpee, he'll probably deny the resolution issues with such tiny slots :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=56016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:01 am 

Thanks Dattman.

So you've obviously welded on a locating bracket to the CAS housing and changed the dog. Is that the extent of the mods required? You don't need to turn down the CAS body or shaft?

I was looking at going down the path of using a Suzuki J18 CAS but that needs to be turned down and I've been unable to locate one locally. A Starlet part will be much easier to find.

Have you used a G13BB sump, oil pump and sensor for the crank or did you do something else to mount the crank sensor?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:37 am 
Teamswift Racer

The Dizzy is complete with the suzuki dog on the end, I made an adapter that the dizzy bolts to and then the whole assembly bolts to the head.
The crank sense is derived from one of the two spare wheels on the dizzy, they are 180" apart so you just need to figure out which one to use and line it up with tdc and then advance slightly to get your 10" cam timing, you don't need anything else to get crank timing.

You're welcome to come and borrow my spare dizzy and adapter if you want to do a Pick a part mission.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:02 am 

Thanks Dattman. It would be really useful to take at your spare CAS. I'll send you a PM.