TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:46 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:17 pm 

I purchased 2 rear hubs with wheel bearings installed and 2 front wheel bearings. Here they are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350846591292?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230670131091?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Am I going to need anything else before I rip into this? I have read the how-to's so I have an idea and I have done this before...but I don't want to be screwed by any additional seals that I don't have on hand.

Thanks in advance!
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 pm 
Make love, not moderators

There are a couple of oil seals on the front hubs you should get since you'll have it apart anyway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 pm 

The two dust seals and the output shaft axle seals in the transmission on the front. On the fronts I would at the minimum clean the hubs down thoroughly before installing the bearings. A wire wheel, air tools, dust mask, synthetic bearing grease.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 pm 

Good stuff. Thanks for the tips. Are those seals something a parts store would stock?

I tore into all 4 corners looking for where I was going to have issues. I have several, most hopefully solved by better toolage and better info. I might reach a point where I have to clean up all my greasy appendages and ask you guys some more questions.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:39 pm 

So I am a little confused. I took the rubber oil seal off the hub and now can see the bearing. Do I just use a BFH to pound the bearing out? I wish I had taken a picture now...I will when I get home.

There are the spines down the middle of the bearing, how do I get those out and can I reuse them?

Any help would be appreciated sorry this is so vague.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:04 pm 

So it is pretty easy to get the hubs apart..

The part with the splines. Get a socket that fits inside the bearing but not into the splines, and yes, use a BFH to drive it out. One of the races will stay on that part of the hub when it comes out and you will have to use a bearing puller to remove it or cut through it and slide it off. The rest of the bearing will still be in the spindle, so find a bigger socket that is smaller than the outside of the bearing and repeat the same process for driving it out. It doesn't take too many wacks.

Reassembly you have to be way more careful as to not damage the new bearing. But start with installing the entire bearing in the spindle but using the same socket to drive it in. Use light taps no murderous revenge killing here.. You want to avoid hammering on the smaller part of the bearing so you don't ruin your new bearing. After you get it seated, carefully start the hub, I use a large threaded rod and 2 nuts with some washers to squeeze the whole assembly together.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 am 

I got all the stuff apart. Thanks a ton for all the pointers! I came to an interesting dilemma though. The apparently OEM wheel bearing I purchased is smaller than the one I took out. There was also a snap ring that wasn't mentioned. Was there one on the hubs y'all dissembled? Can anyone verify dimensions for me?

I thought that wheels bearings suck and it's not an easy job to do, nor is it a cheap one to outsource so I made a video tutorial on how to extract the front bearings.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:30 pm 

Another question.

I am on assembly phase right now but both outer tie rod ends are giving me a headache.

The drivers side won't press into the spindle. Are there any tricks here? I even smoothed all the surfaces and got a good purchase on it with a metal C-Clamp.

I am replacing the passenger side end and it will absolutely not come off of the inner tie rod so I need to take the inner rod off and just replace it all. Man, this has been too much suspension work in the last week.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:12 pm 

If the bearings you got are smaller than the ones you took out, you probably got bearings for a NON GT. I forgot all about the snap ring, it has been a very long time since I did my front bearings...

The tie rod should seat easily into the spindle. Is the original tie rod end your trying to put back on? If it is a new one, maybe the taper angle doesn't match what it should be. I have never had that problem. As for seperating the inner and outer tie rods, yeah that can be a real pain if they have been together for a long time. I have never had to do it myself, but others that I know, have had to use heat to get them apart.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:31 pm 

I was being a dummy. I hearkened back to the days of working on first generation DSMs and how the tie rod went UP into the spindle, not down. I think sleep deprivation got to me because my brother got home, rotated the tie rod, and stuck it into the spindle. Bleh.

Everything is back together and WOW!! My road noise is 20% what it used to be and it feels like I am churning butter instead of crushing gravel.

Thanks a ton for the help :D