TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:22 pm 

Hi all,

Just wanted to say HEY and let you know I picked up my first GT. I've had 3 cyl Metros for years and love them. But I always wanted a Swift. My commute isn't very far now so I figure I can sacrifice a few MPG for a little fun. ; )

The one I picked up didn’t run and needs some TLC but came with some cool performance goodies. I installed a new water pump and new timing belt / tensioner. And it needed a relay to make the starter work every time. But now it’s running great.

It’s a fun little car. Almost like a turbo car… not much below 4,000, then it comes on the cam and takes off. Very cool. My performance cars are a 220 whp Zetec swapped Lotus Europa and an LS3 swapped FD RX7. But the GT will be a little more stealthy and hopefully not attract as much attention.

I searched but couldn’t see an answer… To pass California smog I figure I’ll need to use the stock cams, computer, intake, throttle body and MAF. Header should be OK.

• Will a Cultus intake be able to pass the visual and emissions? I try to avoid touching fasteners on aluminum heads as much as possible.

• Would an ECU with the Sandro chip be able to pass emissions, all else being stock?

Thanks for your time.
-Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:36 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'm fairly confident that the cultus header won't throw up any red flags on an inspection but the chip will fail a california smog inspection.

i'd suggest using a socket on the ecu board so you can run the factory eprom for testing. then after you have the car certified, swap in the performance chip. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:45 pm 

I used a ribbon cable and a remote mount zif socket to make swapping chips easier.

moates.net has all the parts needed to convert the ecm to a remote socket.

mounted mine under the edge of the dash, you can only see it if you look for it 8)

I don't have smog testing here, but it makes for trying different tunes WAY EASIER

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:11 pm 

Cool. Thanks for the tips.
As I suspected... the chip is probably much richer at the 15 mph and 25 mph standard test speeds than the stock.

The car came with the stock chip ECU also that I can swap in for now... I remember pulling an ECU from an XFi one time and it was tough to reach. Every 2 years won't be too bad though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:40 pm 

Overall depends on the smog technician doing the smog. Technically speaking your 91 GTI would need to have all smog equipment-funcitoning,visually there and pass emissions test for the same year make and model of specified vehicle.

The header would not pass visual unless CARB approved.
A Cultus intake manifold technically could not pass unless it has all provisions for smog,yet it would be at the discretion of a smog referee.

Of course you will need a proper ECU in good working order.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:07 am 
Suzuki Elder

there are tin covers over both the oem cast exhaust manifold and the cultus tube header. a visual inspection wouldn't show much deviation between the two.

cultus header.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:55 pm 

That bay looks great!

I have the stock heat shield. I think I'll fab that over the header. I'll let you know what works.

I have an F 3 ecu I can use. I don't enjoy swapping that many components every 2 years. Cams, intake, airbox, ecu, headers. Oh well. I was born here. It's home sweet home. Might just leave it stock. Probably shouldn't have driven it with mods... Might be hard to give up the extra power. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:42 pm 

Here’s a partial list of what I’m having to do to get this 91 GT road worthy and California Smog legal. 25 years takes it’s toll… even on a car that theoretically is in good shape. It’s a good thing I like working on cars and love a challenge. Smog check this weekend. I'll put up the numbers if it passes the visual.

Replace Timing belt, tensioner, waterpump (done)

Replace cams with stock (done)

Replace computer with stock (done)

Adjust idle to stock (done)

Adjust TPS to stock setting (done)

Set timing to stock (done)

Replace air filter and intake to stock (done)

Replace dirty stock air filter cartridge (done)

Replace underdrive pulley with stock (done)

Replace cap and rotor (done)

Replace Fuel filler neck (original was “leaned on” at the pump, sealing surface was oblong and couldn’t hold pressure, automatic emissions fail) (done)

Replace window regulator (weld bridge onto stationary guide so it won’t bend) (done)

Replace cracked windshield

Install starter relay (done)

Replace pass side mirror (done)

Repair inoperative power mirror circuit

Replace rusty front rotors and worn pads (done)

Replace rear pads

Replace right side drive shaft (horrible grease mess from split boot) (done)

Replace misprint Emissions sticker under hood with correct Federal sticker (Original sticker was for a federal car but listed EGR as present, even though it wasn’t on the vacuum diagram on the sticker and there are no ports for an EGR. I saw 2 failed smog attempt receipts from years past where smog shops saw EGR on the sticker and wouldn’t pass the visual. Even a trip to the BAR was required in one case) New Fed sticker has the same vacuum diagram but no listing of EGR. (done)

Align driver door so it will close correctly (done)

Possibly replace cat with a California approved version

Fabricate mounts to cover header with stock heat shield (done)

Possibly replace header with stock manifold

Change engine oil / filter (done)

Replace gear oil (done)

Replace transmission 1st and 2nd synchros, possibly hard parts. (rebuild needed)

Add mid muffler / resonator to stop the deafening freeway drone of the installed ebay fart can

Replace WP belt (done)

Install AC belt (done)

Have AC charge serviced

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:51 am 

I posted the fail numbers in problems and fixes.
Thanks!