TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Working on the engine...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:05 pm 

Does anybody else find the little suzuki engine frustrating to work on? I've done a few things recently i.e waterpump, cv covers and noticed some really annoying things.

- stupid position of gearbox fill, impossible to get too without a long funnel/pipe and needed to take the wheel off just to fill it up.

- Underdrive pulley needs to be removed to take the lower camgear cover off, what's up with that?

- alternator bolt in a ridiculously hard to reach place. I needed around 4 extension bars to get it from the otherside of the engine.

It might just be someones been putting things back wrong but has anybody else had trouble?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:36 pm 

So its much easier to work when engine is out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:46 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Obviously you have never worked on a Honda then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:15 pm 

Wow, i'm surprised to hear that....i find these little cars very nice to work on. ...ok, maybe not the AC compressor location :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:35 pm 

I worked on Yugo(i know LOL),its easy because there is plenty of space,but on my moms Daewoo Matiz(very similar to suzuki alto) you cant put your hand betwen bumper and engine :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:34 pm 

In my case, the filler position for the gearbox is about underneath the battery box (my battery box being widened somewhat to accomodate a nice 11 plate maintenance free battery). We used a sludge pump to fill it up with the oil :P

Sludge pump being basically a plunger with a pipe :P Worked like a charm.

And yes, the underdrive pulley does have to come off to remove the lower cam belt cover, but the only real annoyance I have with this is getting to the 5 allen key bolts holding the d^mn thing on :lol:

Alternator isn't all that bad, I can get to it quite easy from the driver's side with a ring and open end spanner. The other bolt is a bit of a pain but nothing a small ratchet can't handle :P

Rock stock 1988 AA33S SA413 HEJ574 Holden Barina GTI rebuild complete! http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39669 - Deceased and stripped for parts
1987 AA33S SA413 HEJ574 Holden Barina GTI MK1 - gone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:45 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Welsh_Swift wrote:
Does anybody else find the little suzuki engine frustrating to work on? I've done a few things recently i.e waterpump, cv covers and noticed some really annoying things.

- stupid position of gearbox fill, impossible to get too without a long funnel/pipe and needed to take the wheel off just to fill it up.

- Underdrive pulley needs to be removed to take the lower camgear cover off, what's up with that?

- alternator bolt in a ridiculously hard to reach place. I needed around 4 extension bars to get it from the otherside of the engine.

It might just be someones been putting things back wrong but has anybody else had trouble?

You gotta be kidding me... :ez_roll:
Ever work on Turbo Dodge? It has a reverse flow head, this piles the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbocharger, and starter all on the back of the engine within a fraction of an inch of the firewall. All that has to come out just to pull the head. Oh, and the bolts are mixture of metric and imperial -- from the factory! Ever fix a blown headgasket on a Supra? Ever work on a DSM? You've got nothing to complain about. Suzukis are eeeeaaaassy to work on.

The side fill for the gear oil is quite common on other vehicles (by design it's impossible to overfill), but there is an alternative location which is described in a Stickie in the transmission section.

The easiest way to deal with the alternator is to just crawl under the car to get the bolts on the bottom. I don't what you're using extensions for...

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:02 am 
Teamswift Racer

I think Welsh swift is refering to the top alternator bolts, on RHD cars it's a bit crowded around the alternator because of the MC and booster, I found using a really long extension bar underneath/behind the inlet manifold a really easy way to get to the alternator bolts.
Seriously though these are some of the easiest cars to work on, try working on a twincam civic or crx, horrible things, the swift has acres of room in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:21 am 

Suzukis are easy! :D

Try an '83 GMC diesel pickup. I wish my arms were 3X longer and I had more elbows and really small hands. :lol:

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:08 pm 

I haven't worked on many other cars, the swift is my first (I'm a biker :P ) I just thought some things could have been put in more convenient places!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:44 am 
Mad Scientist

Welsh_Swift wrote:

You don't need to take the wheel off. Just pop the hood and stick a pipe in the hole - that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:08 am 

Welsh_Swift wrote:
I haven't worked on many other cars, the swift is my first (I'm a biker :P ) I just thought some things could have been put in more convenient places!

Aaahh, now i understand your problem..you let them put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car! :lol: