TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:56 pm 

Hey guys. I recently installed an open element air filter on my car, and when i had the inlet tube off for fitment and all that, i noticed how much oil was in it, and down around the MAF as well. I've been searching alot about catch cans and filters and pros and cons to them, and im definitly not going with vent to air filter for emission and law reasons as well as i would like to avoid another oily mess under my hood. I would like to run a catch can that still uses the factory PCV system as well. Now, what im wondering is which hose you run to and from the can. The mess being in the intake tube makes me think i should run that hose that runs to the intake tube into a catch can located down low somewhere, then back into that intake tube. is this correct? My reasoning for this hose is because if i were to splice into the hose that runs direct from the valve cover with the PCV in it, right into the intake manifold (like 1" long hose), i would still have the oily mess in the intake tube, and thats what i want to avoid. As far as my understanding of PCV valves, at WOT, it should be shut, and at idle it should be shut in the other direction...if i can recal from my schooling it has two seats in it. I'll check my textbook later to verify that. So i cant see the oil coming from that end of the PCV system. Anyways, about hte can itself. do you run it air tight with the tube running and and out or what? Thats what i would assume but i dont want to just do it and have something catastrophic happen...i'd really appreciate your guys input. THanks

"Life's a rally, cut corners"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:18 pm 

you can have a look at my setup for the oil catchcan. the tube that originally goes to the rubber intake is redirected to the inlet of the oil catchcan. the outlet of the oil catchcan can either be returned to the rubber intake tube or in my case it is directed below the engine bay.

place the oil catch in a location where you can easily remove for cleaning.

oh ...... and don't forget to plug the hole in the rubber intake to maintain vacuum.

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=9599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:39 pm 

Lovely engine bay, Lee !!!

Can you post a list of mods ??? Do you make all the mechanical work, or you have someone else to do it for you ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:48 pm 

leeye wrote:
you can have a look at my setup for the oil catchcan. the tube that originally goes to the rubber intake is redirected to the inlet of the oil catchcan. the outlet of the oil catchcan can either be returned to the rubber intake tube or in my case it is directed below the engine bay.

place the oil catch in a location where you can easily remove for cleaning.

oh ...... and don't forget to plug the hole in the rubber intake to maintain vacuum.

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=9599

very nice engine bay by the way. And thanks. that has answered almost all the questions i had. I am hoping to keep the emissions virtually the same though with the exception of eliminating the fact that my engine is drinking the oil being blown into the intake. So i'll be running the hose from where you have shown to a can, then back into the intake. So the only question left unanswer is do i need that can to be air tight? I would think so, but i've been wrong before. lol. Also, how did you get that elbow coming out of the valve cover to turn?

I have a new question as well. Where might i get an oil catch can? i mean, are there any companies that offer a mildly priced setup with an in and an out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:49 pm 

man that is a very nice engine bay, lots of gooooodies there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 pm 

Thanks. My engine bay had been worked on for many years and undergone several revsions. This is the latest look (version 5 i suppose, hahaha) and I like it pretty much. List of mods? Well I think I can gather what I've spent over the years. Most of the work is done by my mechanic/friend who also owns a racing workshop, hence most work is done very professionally. Over the years I gathered a lot of aftermarket parts (TurbineTech, Rospen, Suzitech etc) plus spares in case something went wrong. :D

That particular oil catch can is pretty rare, very well made and very compact, can't remember the name now (not cusco, not sard).

Will be looking to relocate the battery to the rear boot for better weight distribution. :)

Maybe fitting quad throttle bodies but the idea is still in my mind. Before the quad throttle bodies, the priority is to hook up the Autronic ECU (version 6 look???) and custom tune the settings to extract the most from the current engine setup.

Last edited by leeye on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:08 pm 

RotaryGrey,

It's good to keep the catch can air tight, otherwise the oil vapors will go all over your engine bay.

You may be able to turn the elbow the other way round without removing the valve cover (I may be wrong as I've tried it myself but was unable to change the angle, can anyone give some advise?).

You can get oil catch can everywhere. Maybe contact Jess @ Turbinetech and he can make one for you.

Last edited by leeye on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:15 pm 

Yes, you can even fabricate one.

The elbow can be twisted by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:00 pm 

doesnt the pcv valve shoot oil into the intake manifold also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:52 pm 

Yes, some people gets rid of it. Plus, it's a source of undesirable hot air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:06 pm 

SSGTi12345 wrote:
doesnt the pcv valve shoot oil into the intake manifold also?

yes and no. its designed not to, so you will get very small amounts if its working properly. I looked it up in my book and refreshed my memory. The valve has a very light spring in it. when load on the enigne is low, like at idle and the vaccum is high, the vaccum is enough to overcome the spring and draw in the blowby gases, but when you lay into it, such as at WOT, there is vertually no vaccum, or at least not enough to open the valve, so it is shut, more or less. At this point, the positive pressure in the crank case has to find some way out, so i figure thats when im getting all that oil in my intake tube. Cause if i treat the car nice, i bearly see any in there, but if i beat on it, and check it the next day, its definitly moist.

As for my question about the can being air tight, i now realize thats a dumb question. it has to be air tight because the hose plugs in after the MAF, so if it werent air tight, that would cause a problem with the way it runs. So now all thats left is where to get a good catch can from. The hunt begins. thanks to all for your input and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:14 pm 
The Smuggler

I have an oil catch can on my Turbo, it was installed because of all the blue smoke I got at hi RPM's.
The g10T was always building up oil in the top end, and the way the PCV system was designed on the T3 it basically gets sucked from the VC into the intake and a tube that runs to the air intake for the turbo.
Hence when the oil buildup happened the turbo would suck the oil through the system and voila no can see the car behind me.

The reason I am talking about my turbo car is the system on my GTi's is basically the same without a turbo.
Old engines get more blowby, therefore more oil out the pcv system.
One thing I also learned is don't vent to atmoshpere through a breather, its real messy on your engine compartment.
Also the pcv system is designed to take the crankcase air which is already metered and put it back into the intake system.

There is a pic in my gallery showing how I took the breather tube and run it through the Greddy catch can.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5844
Then took my PCV hose and set it up to pickup clean crankcase air after the can before the air goes back into the turbo intake.
I no longer have smoke unless I forget to empty the can after playin around on the highway. :wink:
Catch cans are a great way to keep your intake system cleaner, and your engine compartment too.
Also having a breather only is totally illegal in some provinces and states.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:01 am 

Knuckles wrote:
I have an oil catch can on my Turbo, it was installed because of all the blue smoke I got at hi RPM's.
The g10T was always building up oil in the top end, and the way the PCV system was designed on the T3 it basically gets sucked from the VC into the intake and a tube that runs to the air intake for the turbo.
Hence when the oil buildup happened the turbo would suck the oil through the system and voila no can see the car behind me.

The reason I am talking about my turbo car is the system on my GTi's is basically the same without a turbo.
Old engines get more blowby, therefore more oil out the pcv system.
One thing I also learned is don't vent to atmoshpere through a breather, its real messy on your engine compartment.
Also the pcv system is designed to take the crankcase air which is already metered and put it back into the intake system.

There is a pic in my gallery showing how I took the breather tube and run it through the Greddy catch can.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=5844
Then took my PCV hose and set it up to pickup clean crankcase air after the can before the air goes back into the turbo intake.
I no longer have smoke unless I forget to empty the can after playin around on the highway. :wink:
Catch cans are a great way to keep your intake system cleaner, and your engine compartment too.
Also having a breather only is totally illegal in some provinces and states.

i see. is this greddy catch can you have an expensive unit? Im not looking for something too expensive, but i want something thats been tried and tested you know? I also want somethign thats easy to empty as well. I looked around last night on the interenet and came up virtually empty handed. and dont suggest Ebay because i dont, and will not buy stuff off ebay for my own reasons....

thanks for the reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:47 am 

try the cusco one, this is a tried n tested unit. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... S%3AUS%3A1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:01 pm 

I have the same Greddy catch can as Knuckles has (click on my garage for pics of the istall) It is a great unit that is easy to empty (most empty pretty close to the same way). I got mine off ebay for not too much money. I would go with the Greddy or the Cusco one that leeye suggested, both widely used and reputable companies.

Currently driving a 1996 Geo Metro 1.0L
Mods coming...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:07 pm 
King of Pompous

I have used both a filter (open to air) and a catch can. The filter never sprayed oil under the hood. Every now and again I would wipe it just to keep it clean. Never had a problem with emissions. Same deal with the catch can. Mine has a simple wingnut on the bottom of it so that I can empty it every now and again. If it was coming out of my pocket the $5 filter would probably be my choice.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:09 pm 

You can make one your self it's not that hard

here is a pic of one i made

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:03 pm 
The Smuggler

Thats a nice lookin piece. :thumbsup:
I would trade my Greddy for that, I think I will make my next one.
The Greddy cost me about $85 cdn, and I had to put my own drain cock on the unit.

The thing about having a bretaher is you will get oil residue all over the engine, especially if you are running high rpms above 6000.
Engines new and old have some blow by and crankcase pressure, and with all the oil up in the top end the venting will happen with some oil residue.
Having a turbo also means more crankcase pressure and venting, Catch cans work and are way better than just a breather.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:06 pm 

speedfreak 2, that is a nice lookin can! Is that a metal water bottle that you used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:52 pm 

wow speedfreak, cool! 8) i bet the aluminum water bottle never saw that coming in it's joblist. the fittings are nicely done and the bottom drain is neat. plus you can get a range of custom colors to fit your engine bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:54 pm 

Knuckles wrote:
Thats a nice lookin piece. :thumbsup:
I would trade my Greddy for that, I think I will make my next one.
The Greddy cost me about $85 cdn, and I had to put my own drain cock on the unit.

The thing about having a bretaher is you will get oil residue all over the engine, especially if you are running high rpms above 6000.
Engines new and old have some blow by and crankcase pressure, and with all the oil up in the top end the venting will happen with some oil residue.
Having a turbo also means more crankcase pressure and venting, Catch cans work and are way better than just a breather.

so how did the greddy one empty before you put a drain cock on it? I cant really make my own at this point. Im gonna see what my dad can get as far as greddy is concered. Im hoping to get whatever i get by wednsday so i can do it up on my day off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:26 pm 

The greddy one comes with a tiny 1/8 plug that uses an alan key to remove, I added a drain cock the same as the one Knuckles used and it makes it way easier to empty.

Post subject: can
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:13 am 

i got mine form the crappy tire catalog. i think it was weapon r or something like that. It had a drain cock at the bottom and i think it was a 19mm. easy to empty and hook up. I think it was $60 and took a couple of days to get there. If you want go the driver fx website take the part number down and go to your local crappy and order it there and then there will be no shipping charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:31 pm 

ah ha, good advice. I will try and see what my dad can dig up first though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:32 pm 

turbo2475 wrote:
speedfreak 2, that is a nice lookin can! Is that a metal water bottle that you used?

You got that right
when my sister came home and see it on the table she was pissed

Total cost = $50.00 BDS witch comes to $25.00 USD