TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 93 gt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 am 

car needs complete rebuild . I got rebuild kit minus headbolt . got door handles inside and out new front strut and bellows new drilled and sloted rotors new .I just don't have money to finish and don't want it to be scraped.asking $1500 obo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by dknight1973 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 93 gt
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 am 

this morning i would almost buy it just for the outside driver handle....but i guess im off to the wrecking yard.
good luck with the sale!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:29 pm 

What part of tenn you in?How is the underside? Any rust?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:21 pm 

locjaw wrote:
this morning i would almost buy it just for the outside driver handle....but i guess im off to the wrecking yard.
good luck with the sale!

They are $8 plus shipping on ebay unless you get an original GTi/GT handle (color matched from the factory) :huh:

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:27 pm 

$1000 well worth that n parts and with the
new parts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 pm 

No takers? I would buy this but my wife would sure kill me this time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:19 pm 

My marriage is lucky that this is on the wrong side of the nation......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:28 pm 

:lol:
airwerks wrote:
My marriage is lucky that this is on the wrong side of the nation......
:lol:

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:43 pm 

Still for sale?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:08 pm 

Yes

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:42 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Still no takers.?
I would surely buy this car but afraid my life partner would put me in a box and bury in the yard
Hope the OP doesn't scrape this car
.....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:27 pm 

You have a pm

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 pm 

Question: Why is this car still for sale? Is it lack of a way to transport it, bad location, price, condition?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to go see this car on Sunday very likely to pick it up. I'd like to start working on another car in particular one I can rebuild the engine on so I can learn all about that process. I know at some point my car is going to need some of this work and I'd like to learn on a car that I don't depend on everyday so I've been keeping my eye peeled for awhile for one close to me.

I guess I want to know if I'm missing something as far as why this car is still available. If I posted this in the wrong category feel free to move it, I just want to know if there is something I need to be aware of before I go see this.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust
Turbine Tech Underbody Brace
Honda CRX Front Brake Calipers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 pm 

Check for door sag. If the doors hit on the bottom before they close, it may be a sign of body rust.

Last, check the 'front horns' (if you know what I mean) for rust.

If there is none, then you have a car which will be a great candidate for your efforts.

What's the problem?

Ha!

Americans are lazy. They can buy cars on the cheap already running so why buy something which needs a complete rebuild, blah blah blah.

Personally, we have 3 GT's and they are fun to drive, easy to work on, and worth the effort.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:18 am 

Quote:
Question: Why is this car still for sale? Is it lack of a way to transport it, bad location, price, condition?

WELLLL....I contacted the seller near 2 weeks ago and never got a reply.. I was traveling through TN and would have liked to see if it was something I might be interested in..

How is anyone going to see it if they dont even know where it is, and the seller doesnt reply?

Such is the case with many things offered here....Folks put things up for sale, then dont respond to interested parties.

Why do we do it?
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:47 am 
Island Inbreeder

mkc1962 wrote:
Quote:

WELLLL....I contacted the seller near 2 weeks ago and never got a reply.. I was traveling through TN and would have liked to see if it was something I might be interested in..

How is anyone going to see it if they dont even know where it is, and the seller doesnt reply?

Such is the case with many things offered here....Folks put things up for sale, then dont respond to interested parties.

Dude don't beat your self up I feel ya
A member offered up my old Turbo sprint (Local) tried like hell nothing.? nada
I'm guessing the guy can't work his computer can't make or receive phone calls or something.? Danm wish I could get my old car back But Moving on
Even my old red one come up on the craigslist Local Again.... Nada the Suzuki god are just not willing of late
Hell its been 5 month since I bought a car * ....8 month since my last Suzuki purchase usually 6 deep by June

Still driving the GTI/Auto Even Barked the tires the other day...
I don't know why sometime it happens mostly Because I could
..........................................................jv&s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:43 am 

Rear hatch: check to see it stays open on its own. If not, will need new struts.

Dash will need new mat to hide cracks.

Can't tell inside the engine compartment as no pictures.

No window crank handles. Each door will have to be taken apart, cleaned, lubed and reassembled properly.

Even though this is a project car, the $1500 price is decent. In California, that would be a firm price.

Check to see if the remote gas tank latch works as well as the remote rear hatch release.

Seat bolsters often are cracked or needing new stitching.

Check windshield for cracks. This may indicate body flex (not good).

Rear brakes: does the e-brake work and release correctly?

Engine compartment: since you've taken a Metro and basically made it into a GT, you're on your own. The closer you put it back to stock and drive it like the manufacturer intended, the longer it will last without breaking. Figure a complete engine AND transmission rebuild until proven otherwise.
You install aftermarket performance bolt on horsepower pieces and the reliability will drop because you won't be able to keep your foot out of it.
Take a minute to pull the dipstick and look at the color of the oil, even if you don't try and fire it up.
Check for missing intake and or coolant parts.
Figure this has been somebody's hot rod and what you do with it will determine whether it heads to the junk heap or not. Sun tan naked sticker on the rear bumper may indicate it was owned by a previous Teamswift owner?

These are fun cars to drive so don't expect to find it in pristine condition mechanically.
The interior is neglected, but not a total loss.

Too bad the seller dropped the ball earlier.

I've purchased parts, paid the price and been told I'd receive the rest of the parts later, only to be told that 'they couldn't be found' down the road.
Sellers should mean what they say, and say what they mean, especially when dealing with buyers who are taller, stronger and have a better memory.
:twisted:

The OP has but 12 posts on this site and he seems sincere, even if he is young.
Someone better take advantage of this offer before he changes his mind.
He's posted that he didn't realize how expensive the project was becoming.
So he's well along the learning curve.
Done properly, this IS an expensive project.
If you're going to buy from him, take 5 minutes to read his 12 posts.

The radio still has the faceplate.
That's a first.

More pictures, more advice.
No more help with phantom cars from this neck of the woods. (You listening, Jonathan?)
:twisted:

Bottom line:
$1500 for car, plus XXX to get it home.
$2500 for sound deadener, engine, trans, wheel bearings, brakes, suspension, rust prevention, tires, interior, body and paint sound system, etc. and you've got a basically new car that will be a total blast to drive and will last for 15 years before the next engine rebuild. (If we don't smoke the tires!)
If you have no other projects and $2500 available, 6 months max to get it back to stock trim.

A Metro to me wouldn't be worth the effort.
A GT certainly would be worth the effort and much easier than your last conversion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:16 am 

Very good advice! Thanks for all the comments most of the common issues like frame horns and things I'm aware of so I guess I'll see what it looks like when I get there. I'm hopeful that it isn't to far gone. I am not expecting pristine, if the body is sound and looks like everything is there I'll be pleased.

I'm not quite sure what you were referring to Pacapo with regards to the Metro comment. I actually bought this car http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=422218#p422218 back in 2013 which I've done a lot of work to since then, but I never converted a Metro. I was thinking about that at one point before I bought the GTI, but went to test drive the GTI and never looked back, sold the Geo the next week.

pacapo wrote:
Engine compartment: since you've taken a Metro and basically made it into a GT, you're on your own. The closer you put it back to stock and drive it like the manufacturer intended, the longer it will last without breaking. Figure a complete engine AND transmission rebuild until proven otherwise.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 pm 

Quote:
Dude don't beat your self up I feel ya

Oh I aint getting upset about it....just stating a fact as to why its maybe still around...I really do not need the darn thing, but as I was going to be in the region why not atlesat stop and see.

I just dont understand it in this day and age...If you want to sell something, and you take the time to post it, why is it you dont check your contacs and ad on occasion? obvioulsy you dont really want it gone.

I placed a small boat for sale on Craigslist few weeks back. 24hrs around the clock I was available either by text,phone or email. I checked each several times daily as I wanted this thing gone. Of course got about 5 calls with this "I am on the way crap", then they never show. But as a seller when I want something gone I do my part. (eventually it sold in 3 days) As a buyer if I commit, I show, or I give contact as to why I cant make it. I guess its this younger generation and their lack of respect for anything that is not pertaining to them.
These Millenials as they call them, all seem to think that their lifes is just Oh so much busier than anyone else's. I have to tell my 30 year old daughter all the time, your life is no more busy or important than anyone elses, show respect or dont expect to recieve it. Sorry folks, I tried to do my part raising her, but sometimes I think this new geneartion really just do not get it.

I think Phil in his comment about youth probably hit the nail on the head!...Great to see the mysterious Dr Phil is still about.!! I guess he's wide open on that house remodel.

Why do we do it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:10 pm 

Snagged it for $700. It is better in some ways and worse in some ways than I had hoped. Overall it wasn't bad and a bargain for the price I paid. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions soon about engine rebuilding. :D

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:20 pm 

sold for 700 ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 am 

I remember now.
You're the Miata man in the Navy yard.
Lots of modifications...

Looks like you might get a second chance at that project car, Mike:

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5815038/1/?x=90

Quote:
I've got five and a half, and a two car garage. Only the Tacoma sits outside - figure that one out...