TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:37 am 

Doonster wrote:
its from a mate and i will supply the system. i can get a 2nd hand om system from the wreckers for 110 or an aftermarket one almost new for 100. so all is good im not sure that i want to atm what i want is to plug up that manifold noisy line if i can if it serves no point at all. make the car much quieter i now have a tacho in it 120 bucks later i thought about it and said i can take it with me when im finished. will post pics later.

Those prices are for the entire system? You need the pump (and brackets), crank pulley and belts, condensor (extra radiator), the under-dash unit and the plumbing and valves to connect it all together. From what Fordem says you might also need the vacuum chamber and solenoid that goes onto the carburetor.
As far as I know that noisy pipe just allows gases from the exhaust manifold to flow back into the air cleaner to be burned again. My number one car doesn't have the pipe as I put headers on it and another has a big bolt jammed into the rubber pipe to block it. The others don't have the pipe at all. It might be required if you ever had to pass an emissions test though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:41 am 

Doonster wrote:
ok so ive almost finished the car now get rid of the rust added the Tacho and now all is running well all i want to do is get another manifold without that hot breather on it and all should be good.

You did a great job of the paint.
Is it a rattle can job?
I bought headers from Repco for $300 when I built the engine in '07 so you might be able to find some cheap ones ringing around the wreckers. Or you should be able to unscrew the pipe and put a bolt in to block it or just cut the pipe off, crush it together and weld it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-BARINA-SUZUKI-SWIFT-CINO-EXTRACTORS-HEADERS-NEW_W0QQitemZ270446361434QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef7dbfb5a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:40 pm 

yea that's a rattle can job ive had heaps of practice doing this i sprayed 5 of my banger racer cars like this so im used to it.

as for the AC im going to forget about it for now and just play with this car for a while till im happy.

i'm going to try and find a bolt big enough for the manifold today and in the future when funds are much better i will rebuild the engine or buy another car that i can use as a build up little race car so ill be hunting around for a bit till then.

i'm getting a little attached to the car now lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 pm 

Doonster wrote:
And the sticker that someone wanted to reference from

Thanks for that!
There was a fellow in St. Thomas who was asking:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44702

I realize it was a bit of a pain to snap that photo, but I'm sure it'll mean a lot to him!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:59 pm 

gave the old girl a wash and a quick clean today

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:07 am 

Doonster wrote:
yea that's a rattle can job ive had heaps of practice doing this i sprayed 5 of my banger racer cars like this so im used to it.

as for the AC im going to forget about it for now and just play with this car for a while till im happy.

i'm going to try and find a bolt big enough for the manifold today and in the future when funds are much better i will rebuild the engine or buy another car that i can use as a build up little race car so ill be hunting around for a bit till then.

i'm getting a little attached to the car now lol.

I've gone through heaps of rattle cans doing my race bikes but they never had to look good :-)
I've never been into cars although I have owned a driven a variety over the years. I put a 253 V8 in my HiLux in '91 which was pretty cool. I also had two 302 V8 falcons plus an XF van and an EA wagon among others but I've never actually enjoyed a car as much as these little beasts :-)
I've asked them to do some amazing things and they never let me down.
We've travelled around the country sleeping two of us in the back and towed my racebikes to various circuits including Philip Island and Canberra.
They cost nothing to run and they just keep on going - that's why we now have four of them :-)

As for racing them, I have my eye on one of ours that I want to seriously lighten and perhaps use it for track work as I've never been around any circuit in a car at speed - unless you count ambulances :-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:30 am 

hey all long time no chat well since i lost my license :( not much has happened to the old girl, my mum drives her now. i fixed up the noise and when i get a day off from work ill show you what i did. some other things have gone wrong in the time being tho.

new list of things to do.
New suspension (she bounces down the road and im sure the dash will fall out sooner or later if this keeps up its enough to make the cd player jump!)
remove and replace window tint
buy new tires (Already done got a set on Ebay for 5 bucks with rims)
replace track rod end as it has play in it.
replace back box as its rattling (baffles are gone i tink)
replace washer jets (done one weekend)
Remove bulb from annoying tachometer(since i cant dim it at all!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:30 am 

Ok so the engine was cleaned today yay! and i found that my Ht leads are leaking (ouch is all i can say) so i need a new set of them.

i hardwired my Gps receiver into the car along with the Phone charger. and put in my gps external Ariel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 am 

It looks like
you have nice taste in cars
women,
and man's best friend

Always let the engine warm up before you start to rev it up,

and

when you get your license back,

...don't get more tickets. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:23 pm 

wait till you see my pc! lol
and i lost my license because i blew 0.6 the morning after a session. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm 

ok so the list to do so far is.
New suspension
remove and replace window tint (did passenger side door today)
buy new tires (Already done got a set on Ebay for 5 bucks with rims)
replace track rod end as it has play in it.(ordered the part at autobahn)
replace back box as its rattling (baffles are gone i tink) (ordered a new set of headers and still have not figured out what to do with the back-box)
replace washer jets (done one weekend)
Remove bulb from annoying tachometer(since i cant dim it at all!) cant be done :(
Replace rear Door cards and buy some new clips for the window winders
Respray and redo rust protection on roof looks like i failed :(
Key
needs to be done
Done
In progress

thats it for now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:41 pm 

Doonster wrote:
wait till you see my pc! lol
and i lost my license because i blew 0.6 the morning after a session. :(

Your set sure has my old set beat:
and what about my old monitor?
I think it's an old tube set, with a good luck pig on top. Ha!
Yours would be much better for entertainment and gaming.

0.6 isn't that bad.
:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Watch out for the juice next time; maybe let the women :shock: :shock: :shock: do the driving :?: :?:

Take your list one thing at a time. I'm sure your car will come out fine.

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:14 pm 

LOL as the dinosaur i used to have one of them too but since i do a lot of photoshop so i need to keep with the times.

and meh one thing at a time id be finished in two hours per job lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:47 am 

Ok so in the last couple of days not a lot happened i was at work but i did manage to finally make my panel air filter its made out of the base from the crap small one then a stromberg carb one modified to fit on it then all pipes plumed in and bobs your uncle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:20 am 

things done today

2inch back box was going to do manifold but repco dint have and gas kits
and replaced these rooted out door cards still thinking on a material to cover them in tho
and i found some silver paint hehe
thats it for today as that took long enough ill get to the rest Tomorrow when i get a spare few hours again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:37 am 

More done today

not bad for 50 Buck total hey?

I will when i get some more time respray the top parts but its just finding time......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 pm 

Done a nice job of those door trims Doonster!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 am 

thanks mate it took a bit of time whenever i could but hey its done now + more done today lol

Gave the old girl a wash and polish(i think i need to work out more cry's my arms in pain)
removed the window tint from the rear window.

For anyone who wants to know how to do this

Use some duck tape to cover the whole window and leave it in the sun for at leased an hour. the black tape works two as long as its the threaded one.

after and hour pull the tape and most of the tint off. then use some "turps" and a window scraper to remove the rest. after process is finished clean off with window cleaner .

all done works for me he he

photos up tomorrow of more progress

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:23 am 

Doonster wrote:
thanks mate it took a bit of time whenever i could but hey its done now + more done today lol

Gave the old girl a wash and polish(i think i need to work out more cry's my arms in pain)
removed the window tint from the rear window.

For anyone who wants to know how to do this

Use some duck tape to cover the whole window and leave it in the sun for at leased an hour. the black tape works two as long as its the threaded one.

after and hour pull the tape and most of the tint off. then use some "turps" and a window scraper to remove the rest. after process is finished clean off with window cleaner .

all done works for me he he

photos up tomorrow of more progress

Very good tip. I'm looking at pulling the tint out of one of mine very soon and was wondering how I was going to do it :-)
Pulled the motor out of another one of mine last week to replace the clutch and did a bunch of maintenance items while they were easy to get to. I also replaced most of the bolts with stainless socketheads. Dropped it back in this arvo but I still have to connect everything up tomorrow and put some new drive shafts in.
http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx12 ... ?start=all

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:27 pm 

Nice work on that mate i dont have the time to do it all to mine or it would have being pulled out and rebuilt so that it can last another 500,000 lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 pm 

His idea of putting the mileage and the date on the oil filter
is pretty clever.
:thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm 

I thought everybody did that :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 am 

i use the sticker on the window for mine as its a pain white out comes off mine as im always working on mine.
plus my calendar always reminds me i do mine every 10K
OK pics

Pacemaker Header fitted today :twisted:
cleaned and polished 8) 8)
short shifter fitted today :-P :-P :-P :-P
Left front door finished and cleaned off all bubbled window tint and other stuff :givebeer:
rear window tint free :shock:
before

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:15 am 

and my nights glow with light with a new vacuum gauge installed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm 

new wheel

also some one backed into my car at the shopping center today :(

and this is how my gauges dance