TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 1.0 rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:41 am 

I think I blew it.

I don't know exactly what's wrong, starts fine, runs fine, compression is good, temps are good, oil pressure is good, throttle response is good, everything seems fine. Thing is, when I go for a drive and reach highway speeds, there is smoke, and a lot of it. So much smoke that I can't see anything behind me. It stops smoking after a while and then I have to refill the oil, almost a liter. Sounds like some serious blow-by.

Time for a bottom end rebuild I guess. I kind of look forward to that, actually. I will have the crankshaft, pulley and flywheel balanced, new pistons and rings, crank bearings, seals, everything.

- 0,5mm oversized pistons
- mildly ported head, 1,7mm taken off
- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- 40mm throttle and intake manifold
- srd underdrive pulley
- AASCO 3kg flywheel with GTi clutch
- GTi catback
- deleted cat, now 2" ss pipe
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- 35mm lower Apex front and rear springs
- GTi sway bar
- Turbinetech underbody brace
- Ultra Racing upper strut bar

0-100kph: unknown seconds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:32 pm 

May not be blow by. You've checked your compression. You know it's good. I suspect oil farts. Due to your cams design, it pre-maturally wears the center cam cap.

See the groove in the cap. That lets oil out at an astounding rate. Enough to fill the valve cover. Then the oil get's drawn into the intake. Poof! Huge oil fart. This is first hand experience just a couple months ago.

Please note, this head previously housed a 365/222 cam. I swapped in a Crower cam, with full width center cam journal, after shrugging of the groove left by the 365/222. Figured it would be OK. I was wrong. The groove produce a dry bearing, as evident by the cap, destroying my new Crower cam as well. I now have a scrap head, scrap Crower cam, and a scrap 365/222.

Solution? Different head, with a different cam that has a full size cam journal again. I found a standard new old stock cam. Running about +11, on my adjustable timing gear. Performance is comparable to the 365/222. But much quieter and no bearing damage. I now use head gaskets, with enlarged vent holes, to provide better drainage just in case.

Since your car is running good, and not rattling, right? You may only have to install this modified gasket. Problem will go away. Large vent hole gaskets can be purchased. I prefer to punch out my own.

Your build is incredible! Only flaw, as with mine, was the 365/222 cam. It's not a long life set up. Sorry to mess up your thread with my pictures. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm 

Thanks for the info :D

I will keep driving it for now, avoiding the highways, while I'm looking into a full rebuild. I need a few things for that, one of them is money =) I'm planning to go "all the way", which means new parts where needed, high compression, balanced where possible, bigger throttle, higher rev limiter, maybe even a custom 2" stainless steel exhaust. Can't wait to get started :D

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:48 pm 
Island Inbreeder

SnowFish wrote:

Since your car is running good, and not rattling, right? You may only have to install this modified gasket. Problem will go away. Large vent hole gaskets can be purchased. I prefer to punch out my own.

those are not oil drain those are for assmbly they are open your drain back or on the down side shaped like bat wings
maybe your issue was the check ball oil valve in the block starving the cam
those centure cam bearings are very slim look at the saddle on the block which has the oil hole in it
becareful your problem is not going away ...jv&s

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 am 

Quote:
those are not oil drain

Correct. They are vent holes, to equalize pressure between the head and block, so the crank case can be more positively ventilated. The larger vent hole "fart prevention" as been tested, and proven, by a member on Geometroforum, over the course of several months.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5274528/1/

Yes, he removed, and re-install his head, many times, to perform an accurate test. I personally have proven the same.

The large hole gasket is not a proper fix. Only tight cam tolerances can do that. But it is a partial solution, to the aging G10, which can be a very odd duck at times. All of my builds will have the large hole gaskets "just in case". Can't hurt.

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29 pm 

Went for a drive yesterday, two passengers, and I hit 150kph without any smoke. I didn't fill it up since last time and the oil level still is a few mm's above the bottom mark, so I guess I have to keep it that way.

Friend of mine is rebuilding his old GTi engine and when he's finished he has a 3 cylinder to spare. That's a nice start :D

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:38 pm 
Suzuki Elder

have you seen bkelly's plan for a crankcase equalization tube? he used the boss on the block where the turbo3 mounts the turbo oil return tube and ran a braided tube to a bulkhead fitting installed into the valve cover.

that should equalize the upper and lower contained atmospheres to control that smoking thing.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:15 am 

Thanks! I will look in to that :D

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=949769&t=5459790

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:12 am 

I have noticed that there are 2 different styles of valve covers as well....some are flat with 3 vertical ribs, others have a large raised portion on the top. was told there was a change-up in the style of valve covers in order to help cure the random oil farting issues. if there is a need to add ''extra'' tubes to equalize the crank-case pressure, that would lead me to believe that your motor is worn and has too much blow-by.
I know from experience that each motor is different on the level of oil that they like to have in them.
I had one car that you could always add half a liter of oil to bring it up.....always half a liter. but if I did not add that half liter, the oil level would not drop any further.
my other 1.0 would not use any oil until it was close to the oil change....then it would start using half a liter, maybe more until I did the oil change...then it was fine after the oil change.
my last 1.0 started losing mpg and using oil, then one day the motor made a odd noise, and pretty much quit running. broken piston, but after some close examination it was noted that the piston that failed had hairline cracks, most likely from new.
different pistons installed, DID NOT ENLARGE HOLES IN HEAD GASKET, and put it back on the road.
has not used any oil, there have been NO oil farting issues, and the fuel mileage is up.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:49 am 

I already changed the flat valve cover to the newer one, but that didn't help at all in my case. I seriously suspect the bottom end, because with the rebuild I only put in new rings and honed the cylinders. At the time they had run 130k kilometers already, so now they're just over 200k, with me redlining it on a daily basis. Doesn't matter anyway, I have made up my mind already. Complete rebuild, high compression, bigger throttle, lightened and balanced where necessary, 8000+ rpm's. I have no idea what that does with hp numbers, but 75-80 would be great. That will be a nice upgrade from where it is now and that gives me room to save up some serious cash for yet another rebuild. That is going to be "The One". Turbo, intercooler, Megasquirt/Adaptronic/KdFi(MS based).

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

my last one was a quick rebuild as well....ball-honed the cylinders, installed mk 1 .20 over used pistons, new rings, head gasket and fluids. cylinder head was ok, already decked .40
mk 1 pistons are not dished like the newer "mickey mouse" pistons, just small reliefs for the valves.
don't know if it made any difference, the car is a automatic. but my first tank was 35 mpg and I wasn't even trying to get good numbers, I just drove it as usual.
high compression does not work with a turbo. KABOOM!
one or the other, stock compression and a turbo, or high compression naturally aspirated
maybe some nitrous as well? :twisted:

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:29 am 

I know high compression doesn't work with a turbo, I think you read my post too quickly :P I'm going for high compression on the next engine, the one after that will be with a turbo :)

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:20 pm 

:-P thought about it after I posted :blackeye:
I was thinking of a n/a high comp build for myself as well. deck the head 2 mm, deck the block 2 mm... those numbers might be a bit much... :lol: but because of the aluminum cyl head I should get away with it, it removes heat faster than cast iron....I would like 12.5 or 13 to 1 compression.

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:18 pm 

I started taking it apart today. Drained the fluids, unplugged everything and took the head off. I'll take the rest out tomorrow afternoon. Cylinders look a bit worn, almost a mirror finish on the front and back, while the sides still show the honing pattern. I can move the pistons almost a millimeter. The puzzle pieces are coming together now. When I first rebuilt it, there was some audible piston slapping, which pretty much disappeared after warming up. The last year or so, the slapping wouldn't disappear anymore, only when cruising at a constant speed. I'm pretty certain now that when I bought the car the block came with, it had 100k more on the odometer than the guy I bought it from advertised with.

I took the other block to the machine shop/BMW tuner last week and ordered 74,5 mm pistons and the owner said he has a guy that can bore the tbi and replace the throttle plate. I think 41mm should do the trick. All that's left to do is taking the head and tbi apart for machining and remove and clean all the parts from the block that I'll reuse.

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

when you measure the cylinder bores you are quite likely to find that they are ovals and will require an overbore to get back to round.

that's the downfall of many quick and dirty re-ring jobs. honing the cylinders doesn't correct the out of round condition of the bores. the rings don't seal and you get blowby that farts an oil cloud behind your car. :blackeye:

an old buddy of mine, chuckwagon, used the larger throttle body from a tracker/ sidekick with a g16 on the g10 in his metro. he wanted to burn alcohol and needed to add a lot more fuel to the engine to get the performance he wanted. he uses that car as his daily driver and has for several years.

it may be easier for you to adapt the g16 throttle body to the g10 than to do the machining for 41mm. that leaves the walls of the throttle body perilously thin. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 am 

I kind of expected it to wear out, it lasted longer than I thought actually. I put on almost 90k since the last re-ring 5 years ago, that's not too bad. I'll look into the g16 tb, those are a bit hard to find here. Thanks :D

I found one: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-onderd ... ousPage=lr Problem is, there is an engine attached to it which I don't need and even if I did I wouldn't be able to afford it. I asked the guy if he is willing to sell me the tbi seperately, offered him €100 for it, who knows..

edit: And I just bought myself a used 1.6 16v for 325 euro. Godd@mmit.

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm 

I finally got the last parts! Today I got my AASCO 3kg flywheel and my throttle and intake manifold, both enlarged to 40mm. I'll post some pics soon. Can't wait to get started :D

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:04 pm 

Here are the pics I promised:

Intake enlarged to 40mm

Throttle body enlarged to 40mm. You can see the ridge is almost gone

New valve

View from the bottom. I think there is enough meat for another mm. Maybe next time

AASCO flywheel. Nice and shiny, too bad I won't see it for a long time

Almost ready to go in

Other side. I decided to go with gold pulleys this time

Gearbox attached. I cleaned it a little afterwards, but not too much

And it's in. So easy with a little engine like this

All filled up and ready to fire. Got to fix a tiny coolant leak first. Same spot as five years ago, where the intake meets the head

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:26 pm 

Looking forward to seeing this completed. Wanting to do some of the same mods.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:39 pm 

If the weather cooperates, we will find out tomorrow. I just have a few things left to do: put the cam, valve cover, distributor and belts in, and remove the sway bar and place back the cat. Then I have a stock engine, 0,5mm overbore, bigger throttle and a 3kg flywheel. Of course, I will post a (few) video(s) :D

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:48 pm 

She lives again!! :) I made a video of the first startup, but some moron (guess who) somehow switched spark plug cable #2 and #3, so that didn't end very well. After I switched back the cables, she fired right up. Throttle response and rev speed are unbelievable, even with rattling lifters and squealing belt. Almost like a motorcycle:

Stock cam, with cat. Only mods at this moment are 13 extra cc's, higher compression, AASCO flywheel and the 40mm throttle. Of course I went for a short drive and man, in the first two gears, that flywheel makes a huge difference compared to stock, or even a lightened GTi flywheel. Pulls like a 1.3 already. She is going to be a little monster once she gets her big cam back and her cat deleted again. Can't wait :)

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:05 pm 

Another update (shamelessly copy/pasted from Geo Metro forum): I've covered 100km so far and all is looking good. She starts fine, runs really strong, no puff of smoke, no slapping pistons, no drop of any possible fluid anywhere to find, exhaust gas smells like it should, I just couldn't be happier with the result. If I were a garage owner and this was one of my customer's cars, I would be proud to send him or her away with it. I went for a 60km drive today and on the freeway she hit 145 on the speedo (141 on gps) and was still pulling. If it wasn't for the busy traffic, strong headwind and my exit coming up, I think she could have made it to over 150 on gps. Definitely freed up some horses with the high compression and 40mm throttle. As far as I can tell, she didn't lose much bottom end torque, I can't really tell why; could be the higher compression, the advanced valve timing from the shaved head, or the flywheel. Probably a bit of all three. Fact is, in 1st and 2nd, it pulls like a 1.3 8v and even with the stock cam and restrictive cat it is already fun to drive. Some pictures of the finished product:

All nice and clean (enough):

The belts are two of the five 'major parts' I didn't replace, they were only 15000km old. Pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing (not in this picture :P ) had even less on them, so I reused those too:

Cleaned up gearbox:

I also cleaned the coolant tank which was all dirty and black from the leaking headgasket last year. I can actually see the coolant's color again:

Like I mentioned before, am very happy with the result. Now all that's left is getting an apk (dutch MOT/emissions test) so it's road legal again ;) After that, put the 3tech cam back in, delete the cat and fit the swaybar and brace again and we are back in business.

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- GTi sway bar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:01 am 

A little update after 600km's: Still going strong, no smoke, no smells, no leaks, not even the distributor, just perfect. I still haven't put my 3tech cam back in, but the cat is gone and the brace and swaybar are already back in place:

She runs really good without the cat and there's this nice raspy sound starting just under 4000rpm. I like how the exhaust system sounds, but I think I might go for a stainless catback in the (near?) future.

I got myself a present, which arrived with the mail today:

It's decently built, welds look good, nice white finish and a perfect fit:

It actually clears the air filter housing, there's just over a centimeter of space between them. Most alternatives require removing (part of) the housing:

I also did some other sideprojects. The horn always sounded a bit dull and was hardly audible from inside the car, so I hooked up an extra one:

Also working on a short shifter:

I'm not good enough a welder to weld it together like this, so I went out looking for some steel pipe that fits around it, but haven't found one yet. Working on it.

- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- srd underdrive pulley
- GTi catback