TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:50 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:01 am 

As you may have read in my other threads, I am rebuildin/restoring an 89 Geo Metro LSI. Well, I got the car put back together and wasnt thinking when it came time to add oil to the engine for the first time. I bought the right oil filter and a 5 quart bottle of oil.... and you guessed it, put the WHOLE 5 quarts in. It ran great at first and I thought it felt like the valves were floating every now and then whenever I reved out the motor. So, I thought that it was because of the combination of have never driven the car after the 3tech econo cam and gear and rebuilt/board out motor. I dismissed it as the sacrifice for the better gas mileage. I even emailed 3tech about the floating valves. He said, it should definitely not do that.

Yesturday, I begin to get on the freeway and punched for the first time. I have put about 150 miles on the rebuilt motor so far. I rev to about 3200 RPMs for 1st and 2nd. In 3rd, the power felt stronger so I stayed in it and as I was around 4300 RPMs... puked blue/purple smoke and instant loss of power and the motor sounded like someone shoved a cork in my tailpipe! I instantly let off the gas and start to pull off the road thinking my motor just blew out. The second I let off the gas, the smoke stopped... so I rev the motor as I find a gear and sure enough, no smoke and power was restored. So basically, the oil pushed it's way into the combustion chamber and .. yeeehaaaaa...SMOKE SCREEN!

I get to my house and look at the oil level, it is almost 1.5 inches passed the second dot on the dipstick! So, I then look up the correct amount of oil to discover my mistake. The manual says 3.5 quarts including a new filter. Doing an early oil change today...

:lol:

hope this made you smile and maybe even laugh for a second at me. We live and learn right?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 am 

driven about 40 miles since i changed the oil with the correct amount of oil (3.5 quarts). car runs awsome!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:16 pm 

at least you over filled it. me and a buddy were workin very late at night and forgot to put the drain plug in. 6qt's of delo on the floor :blackeye:

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress