TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Torque Specifications.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 pm 
@ssclown

I'm getting ready to replace the clutch in my 91 Metro and im in search of the Torque Specifications. for the pressure plate the housing and so on.I have changed out lots of older Honda's clutches (74 to 87) but this is my first Metro clutch.im really looking forward to doing the job i just want some Torque Specifications. and any tips tricks would be most appreciated. My Buddy JV&S has been a great source of information.

YUMMY OUT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 pm 
@ssclown

I found this on the Net but it was still missing flex plate and housing

Torque Spec Chart............................................ Ft lbs (unless indicated)

Camshaft bearing cap bolts
Three cylinder...................................................................96 in-lbs
1998+ four cylinder...........................................................96 in lbs
Camshaft sprocket bolt
Three cylinder....................................................................44
Four cylinder......................................................................43
Cylinder head bolts
Sprint................................................................................48
Metro 1998 and older.......................................................54
Metro 1999+ 3 cylinder.....................................................54
Metro 1999+ 4 cylinder.....................................................49
Crankshaft pulley bolt
1994 and older ................................................................96 in-lbs
1995+ 3 cylinder..............................................................144 in-lbs
1995-1998 4 cylinder........................................................97 in-lbs
1999+ 4 cylinder..............................................................144 in-lbs
Crankshaft sprocket bolt
1994 and older Sprint.......................................................52
1994 and older Metro.......................................................81
1995-1996 3 cylinder........................................................81
1997+ 3 cylinder...............................................................96
1995-1996 4 cylinder........................................................79
1997+ 4 cylinder...............................................................96
Distributor gear case
3 cylinder..........................................................................96 in-lbs
4 cylinder..........................................................................96 in-lbs
Exhaust manifold
3 cylinder..........................................................................17
4 cylinder..........................................................................17
Intake manifold
3 cylinder..........................................................................17
4 cylinder..........................................................................17
Flywheel bolts
1994 and older.................................................................45
1995+ 3 cylinder...............................................................55
1995-1996 4 cylinder........................................................45
1997+ 4 cylinder...............................................................57
Oiling system
Pickup tube bolt................................................................97 in-lbs
Bracket bolt.......................................................................97 in-lbs
Pump to block...................................................................97 in-lbs
Oil pan..............................................................................97 in-lbs
Rear main seal retainer.....................................................99 in-lbs
Valve Train
Rocker arm adjust............................................................156 in-lbs
Rocker arm retainer..........................................................97 in-lbs
Timing belt tensioner bolt ................................................20
Timing belt tensioner nut..................................................97 in-lbs
Valve cover 1994 and older .............................................96 in-lbs
Valve cover 1995+............................................................44 in-lbs
Valve cover 1999+ 4 cyl....................................................97 in-lbs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 pm 

Hey yummy,
How about adding your results to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=38816

Usually, a flex plate is used on an automatic transmission.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:25 pm 
@ssclown

Will do.so far the tranny is out i ran into a little problem with the cv joint seals. i had no idea the right was a diffident size then the left. i will have some pics soon im in a time crunch so getting a lot of pics is hard but i will get some and i will let you know what i find but i will do it in the transmission section.

Yummy out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:28 pm 
@ssclown

I always called it ether Pressure plate or flex plate.I think my manual calls it something all together different.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm 
banned and still posting

if it's a manual transmission, it will have a flywheel (with ring gear,) a pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel, a clutch friction disc, a pressure plate, and a throw out bearing.

the automatic will have a flex plate (with ring gear,) and a torque converter that bolts to the flex plate.

sometimes i find the transmission output seals for the axles locally at autozone and sometimes i get them from rockauto.interweb.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 am 
@ssclown

Ya cool I really never put much thought into it pressure plate flex plate any how I tried to get the seals from rock they sent me the wrong ones.I spent 2 hrs running around town I finally got them from Westbay auto. It would have not been a big deal but my dad took one seal out and realized the new one was to big it was hard to see when it the old one was in but it was obvious when he took it out. Such is life this kind of stuff happens.it took us a little over 2 hrs to take out the transmission and I think we could have had it done in 4 hrs if we did not have the seal problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:51 pm 

2 different sized seals on the tranny output shafts.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:56 pm 
@ssclown

Ya you are right about the seals.I will post all part #'s in a bit.
Many Thanks to my dad at 70 he is still as good a wrench as ever i asked him when we were done if he was ready for the vert clutch hahahahaha he wants a little break he said.

Yummybacon