TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: G13BB Turbo Midget
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:22 pm 

i am in the middle of a very different build than any other i have ever done. i have a 1974 MG Midget, a G13BB (SOHC 16V, with 2 coils on the valve cover) from a 2000 chevrolet sprint, and a samurai 5 speed. i want to leave the block as stock as i can (at least for now) and get the thing all together. as for an ecu, i can use the one for the car, but i would hate to have to fight through all the wiring to figure out how to get fire to the computer. i have all the wiring from the ecu to the engine, but im not sure other parts of the harness i need, and before i get all "hack and slash" on the donor car and strip everything from the dome light to the radio, what all do i really need to fire the ecu up, and start the motor?

plans are to get the motor and trans mated, and stuffed into the Midget, and cranking from the driver seat. Then, turbo. probably 5 lbs on stock block unless its going to come from together... in order to turbo, will i need Megasquirt? if so, would it be better to 'Squirt it for the initial install, or keep factory ecu and wiring to decrease problems with chopping up a harness (at least until i know it works..)?

most of my swaps have been in older chevrolets, and dirt track racing. carbs are so much simpler, but this is turning out to be quite the learning curve, and i am up for the challenge.

Post subject: Re: G13BB Turbo Midget
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'd go straight to the megasquirt and get it running on the normally aspirated engine. then go to the turbocharging as that will only require adjusting the tuning.

the reason i say that is that the megasquirt will use it's own harness, not the stock engine's, to operate.

you'll need a relay for the main circuit, a relay for the fuel pump, a switched supply for the coil, injectors, and megasquirt controller. the sensor array will be tps, iat, clt, o2, crank trigger, cam angle sensor, and the onboard map sensor (so you'll need access to an intake manifold port for the vacuum signal.) the battery voltage signal for the megasquirt comes from the switched supply so you want that to be a low loss circuit that runs right from the battery's + post. all your grounds have to run to a common point on the engine block.

all the chassis wiring (starter, alternator, lights, brakes, wipers, heater blower, etc.) is up to you to dope out.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 am 

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. to add, i am not too savvy on circuitry. i can do basic simple stuff like wiring the blinkers and headlights, and a fuel pump on a relay is no problem. the problem i have with megasquirt is that i dont kknow how to assemble the board, and im not good with soldering on a board. i can biuld the harness, and run wires. i actually plan to get a new harness and replace the original harness in the car with a premanufactured harness. the engine will be on its own harness and ecu. that part is fine, and i can do that.

i dont know what version of megasquirt i need. i have a friend of mine that could probably build the whole ecu and harness. i just dont know what to get in order to be able to tune everything i need to tune when going turbo...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 am 
Suzuki Elder

doing the work, building the megasquirt controller and engine wiring harness will bring you along on the learning curve. as with most things, it's about 10% execution and 90% preparation.

i'd suggest the ms2 version 3 controller, available from http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/index.php

i'd also suggest this mod board for sequential operation, http://jbperf.com/quad_ign_inj/index.html

i tried to document my turbo3 build in a way that will help others to get through a megasquirt build. other guys participated in the thread and offered a lot of good information that helped me along. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46400

and then there is the megamanual. http://www.megamanual.com/mtabcon.htm

and it's on! read, read, read, until your eyes bleed. :lol: seriously, i read the megamanual about 10 times before it started to make some sense (and i was an electronics instrumentation guy for 30 years.) i guarantee that you are going to learn new stuff.

several years ago, a teamswift member wrote up a dandy how-to on his megasquirt conversion. the hardware is now a little dated but the process is very similar. http://caaarlo.50megs.com/

ready, steady, go! :D

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 pm 

well, i got a friend of mine to help me and heis wiring it so we can crank it on the original ecu and harness. i got the engine and trans fitted into the car though, and the #4 cylinder intake tube and the exhaust manifold is hitting the footwells of the car. i really dont want to butcher into the footwells of the car, and i plan to turbo the car anyway, so my questions are as follows..

1. Are there replacement intakes available for the MPFI that are "better" and more compact to solve my fitment problem?

2. is said manifold (provided there is one) going to effectively handle boost?

3. how much can i boost before i need a piggyback and what are the steps involved? how many atmospheres can the map sensor handle?

4. what are a good exhaust manifold/ header and turbo combo?

i dont plan on running a crazy bunch of boost, yet. i want to get it running with 3-5 lbs, make sure all of my stuff is right, then finish the build of the rest of the car. after the car is restored, then i will rebuild the motor and run 15-20 lbs of boost. i need something to work and get the car running.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:47 am 

I've been collecting some parts with the idea of putting a G13 Twin Cam in a Midget also.
All the Twin Cam heads I found were cracked, though, so I'm considering something like a 1999 Chevy Metro G13BB 16 valve SOHC head with the stock fuel injection and twin coil pack ignition to allow the most firewall clearance. The Samurai 5-Speed is nice and light but the shifter is pretty far forward, at least in the 73 Datsun 1200 Coupe I was considering using if a good deal doesn't present itself on any of the Spridget family (I sold a really nice 62 Midget MkII in Hawaii for $500 back in 1980, when transferred to Colorado).

I would much rather stick to pre-1973 cars, because they are lighter, still safer than a motorcycle, and free from too much difficulty in modifying them even here in California.

Questions:

1. Any progress on midgets with this combination?
2. Although I think a stock cam would be adequate for the 1,650 lb 1200 Coupe, I'm open to suggestions.