TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 am 

Hi guys,

You all seem very knowledgeable so I was hoping you might help me figure out my little problem.

I just "inherited" a 92 Holden Barina MH (G13BA) that had been sitting for a year with no use. I have been in the process of getting it running again, and have changed all the fluids, battery, wires, etc. Also, it was completely empty of fuel, whatever that means. It runs now, but it is pissing out fuel somewhere near the engine (the bulk of the fuel seems to be spraying near the battery tray). When looking at the engine bay from the front of the car, there is a lot of spilled/sprayed fuel on the right-hand side. While idling, it seems to be less of a problem than when pushing on the accelerator. The more I accelerate, the more it leaks. It doesn't leak if it's not running, as evidenced by no puddles if the car is left off and stationary. To me, my gut is telling me there is a bad gasket or clamp or something, but I'm just not sure where to start looking.

My question is this:

What is the most likely place to start looking to find where this fuel is coming from? I've worked on cars before, but honestly I haven't much experience with fuel delivery systems. If it's not a simple fix, and I need to change the lines out, do I need a special disconnect tool? Can I swap out the metal for rubber hoses? What size hose would I need? Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to find a PDF repair manual, and they want something around 70$ for a Haynes here in Oz. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, obviously, as I can't justify dumping a bunch of money into a car this cheap. Thanks for your time and help!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'll take a crack at it although i'm only familiar with the north american market cars.

the fuel systems here for that vintage has 3 steel fuel lines that run from the rear of the car, from the fuel tank, to the front of the car and terminate at the center of the firewall. one is a supply line, one is a fuel return line that carries the bypassed fuel from the fuel regulator back to the tank, and the third runs from the tank as a vapor vent which is part of the emission control system and connects to the line with a rubber hose that runs to the activated carbon vapor canister (which in turn is vented via an ecu triggered solenoid to the intake manifold.)

you could have a rotted rubber high pressure fuel hose on the supply line which is pressurized to something as high as 60 to 90 psi. you could also have a leaking hose on the pressure return line which will have a much lower pressure. the vapor return line should never have any raw fuel or any larger pressure and shouldn't be a problem.

you could also have a rusted of cracked steel line on the firewall on either the supply or return.

whatever it is, you shouldn't operate the car with a fuel leak going on under the hood. there are too many opportunities for ignition of the fuel, especially in sprayed droplets, which could result in a crispy holden. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 am 

Thanks matey, I have a feeling it is one of the pressure hoses then. I am going to get under the hood later today or tomorrow and see if I can't get a picture or better idea of what's going on. Yes, I have since put this car on leave from any driving duties, scary seeing a puddle of petrol all over a bunch of electrical lines.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 pm 

Just wanted to give a big thanks to T3 Ragtop!!

Turns out I was looking in the wrong place after all... I took a look at the fuel hoses near the firewall, and sure enough, the fuel supply hose from the fuel rail was cracked through in about a dozen places. A quick trip to the parts store, and a bit of freebie cut off later, she's running like a beaut!

Thanks again mate, you're a legend!

:D