TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 am 

WTF! I had to change out my water pump. That of course requires removing the belt tensioner. I swear I did not move the crank or the cam! When I got it all back together, it would not start. So after a lot of cussing and adding a couple of gallons of gas in the tank, I came to the conclusion it was the timing belt out of time. So I took it all apart again and checked it. Sure enough, the marks were off! So I realigned them and put it all back together. Started on the first crank and ran fine. I drove it to school and to work (about 70 miles) and went out the next day and it won't start! I suspect it is again the timing belt.

Before I take it all apart again, I need some advice. I do not have a spring. I had one but it came off and chopped up the crank pulley. When I first got the car, I took the timing belt cover off and found two broken bolts on the water pump and a bunch of glue epoxy crap used to seal the water pump. I took it all apart and cleaned it up. I got the broken bolts out and re-installed the water pump with a new gasket. I also replaced the crank pulley and the timing belt cover with new parts from the dealer. I tightened the old belt down and lasted for several years and 30k miles.

I need some advice on this stupid spring. Is it really necessary? It seems once you tighten the bolt down on the bracket and the idler itself, the spring is pointless? Look at where my bolt is. It is tightened down all the way and it is still a bit loose. I will replace the belt this time, but it looks fine.

What am I doing wrong? I don’t want to have to keep taking it all apart to realign the cam / crank!

Thanks, Shimaze

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:48 am 

The spring helps get the tension right. I dont have one either. If your at the end of the slot then its time for a belt. I believe the service interval is 60k. you should consider changing the tensioner while your in there. its recommended with new belt.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 am 

advice

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm 

Ah, the marks were right online I took it apart and found that nothing had slipped. It did not make since that it would run fine all day and then not start the next day. The only reason I suspected it was the belt is because that is what happened when I changed the water pump, which was just a couple of days ago, and because it was a little loose when I put it back on.

Any ways, I took your advice and replaced the $15.99 belt!

The problem was the plug wire from the cap to the coil. When I took it off, it was "Dusty" with battery post corrosion - the white chalky stuff. I cleaned it up the wires & the cap and it runs great!

Thanks for the help, Shimaze

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm 

Not a problem, always glad to give advice.
:lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!