TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

I purchases a full set of brakes for my 93 for this past rebuild... driving around with 1.5 front brakes and no rears was getting annoying.

I hopped on RA and purchased the whole shebang: calipers, ceramic pads, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and all new rubber lines.

note: the drums were Brembo 'wholesaler discount'

why did I use these drums? 1. they matched exactly the p/n cast on the drums I was replacing which was important because a did a 13" wheel/vented brake swap a few years ago and did not record what type of car I robbed the parts from (sedan/hatch/swift etc). 2. name brand 3. CHEAP

The parts arrived and straight away I had an issue: the outer packaging was perfect, inside the main box all my little pieces parts looked fine. upon further inspection one of the drums had been dropped prior to shipping. dropped so hard its box was cut in a perfect circle as if a die had been used AND it broke the outter lip of the drum.

After an email and some pics RA said sorry and not to bother sending the unit back and that they would send a replacement out.

Once the replacement came, I put the whole mess together and got everything bled/adjusted and the car had a horrible vibration during heavy breaking... after a few miles, the vibration worsened to be constant and audibly from the rear. F***er!

Naturally I painted the drums before putting them on so I couldn't exactly try and return them. I pulled the whole mess apart and took the drums to O'reilly's Auto parts and after helping the young kid setup the lathe discovered the drums were warped... WAY warped.

45 min later and a quick re-assembly all is well. Just a PITA. I'm beginning to wonder of RA purchases reject lots for a discount and just rolls the dice.

Autozone and the other local guys may cost more and may have parts made in the peoples republic of thia-beck-istan but at least if you get a set that is buggered like I did, it would probably be a same day turnaround instead of a week long ordeal.

Side note: the core on the calipers was $10 ea but shipping back to RA is at least that because they wont let you repackage or consolidate... umm. ya. Something else you don't have to deal with if you buy local.