TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 pm 

Hi guys
I have a question about converting my buggys engine back to TBI. After doing some research it appears I already have the E3 computer (93 model 5 speed). (my block ID's as a 93 as well)

Seeing as i already have the intake and ECM.. how hard would it be to put the TBI system back on my engine? What sensors on the system can i do without? I know the fuel pump will need to be upgraded, and an FPR will probably be necessary.

will my distributor work? can i put a resistor inline on the o2 circuit to tell the engine a certain thing, or is it looking for a pulse/waveform?

anything else i should anticipate during the swap? I'm picking up the TB and TBI this weekend, please let me know if there's other things i should grab.

thanks a ton for any/all advice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 am 

Why, put a Weber on it and a stand alone 90-91 distributor and run it. Where in Oregon are you?

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 am 

It has a 32/36 on it now, but it ain't right and I like the idea of not having to mess with it when changing altitudes., being cold, etc.

I'm in south Salem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 am 

The fpr is built into the throttle body.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 pm 

You won't need much more than intake manifold and complete throttle body. These cars dont throw much of a fit when the oxygen sensor is unhooked, if it were me I would try it with no o2 sensor first, I suspect it will run just fine for your purpose. In a car fuel economy might suffer a bit.
Id use whichever distributor your ecu came with. The 92 up ones have spark advance built into the ECM, the 89-91's(at least here in canada) used vacuum and mechanical advance to do spark curve. Both worked great, but I think you should stick with whatever the ECM and throttle body donor had to ensure a compatible system.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:11 am 

If your going to use a 93 intake and ECM you will need to use a 92 and later distributer. The 93 ECM handles all the advance and the pickups in the earlier distributers are different. If you plan on using the early dizzy then you need the early throttle body to get enough vacuum ports to operate the dizzy properly. Then there are also the mentioned differences in electronics.

Unless you have something special going on with the exhaust I don't see any reason to delete the O2 sensor. It will help the engine to run more efficient. The one issue I do see is the Vehicle Speed Sensor located in the speedometer. I'm not sure what effect deleting that will have.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"