TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:03 pm 

It's been "vapor locking" occasionally for the past year.
It got really bad this past week.

It happens on hot dry days when the car's been sitting in the sun for about 3 hours or more
It turns over fine.
I have to wait about 20 minutes before it'll start.

It also bogs down and hiccups during acceleration.
Once it starts it idles ok.

I had the fuel pump checked and the fuel filter replaced fairly recently.

Any ideas what it could be?
I'll take it to my mechanic soon.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm 

First off Welcome to the Party!

I don't think throttle body fuel injection actually vapor locks. When the injector is off, it's off. However, it could be leaking under hotter temps and pressure.

When you can get it started, do you have to hold WOT? If so, the injector may be leaking & flooding it out.

The more usually suspects, on a 20 year old car, would be...................

Compression? 150psi+, and consistent, across all 3?

When was the last tune up? I mean cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

Give us an idea of a couple more symptoms. Pretty sure we can narrow it down.

May want to check out http://geometroforum.com/index/ for even more information.

Cheers.

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 pm 

Thanks a lot Snowfish!

I had cap, rotor, wires and plugs done about 4 months ago.
At that time, the check engine light was coming on every time I went up a grade.
My mechanic said the code was oxygen sensor so he replaced it.

The notice the check engine light coming on while driving maybe once a week or so for a short while.
It never comes on during start up.

I'll have the compression checked. Thanks for the suggestion.

SnowFish wrote:
When you can get it started, do you have to hold WOT?

I don't understand...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 am 

MetroDavd wrote:

SnowFish wrote:
When you can get it started, do you have to hold WOT?

I don't understand...

WOT is Wide Open Throttle. Peddle to the floor.

A clogged of partially clogged catalytic converter may cause your symptoms as well. If the 02 sensor has never been changed, or you don't know when it was changed, a new one is not a bad idea.

Keep us posted on the compression results.

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:36 am 

SnowFish wrote:
WOT is Wide Open Throttle. Peddle to the floor.

To get it to start...I don't need to put the peddle to the floor.

I posted on the GeoMetroForum. It was suggested that I try it with starter fluid when it won't start.
It wouldn't start today, here's what I happened...

It wouldn't start this evening (after several successful starts throughout the day) so I used...Valvoline Extra Strength Starting Fluid

It started in about 2 seconds after the fluid and started up fine the rest of the night.

When I open the air cleaner compartment, I notice there was a lot of oil inside...

I showed this oil buildup to my mechanic when I got a tune up a few months ago. (There was a lot less oil at that time).

He said it could be a bad PCV.

Could this oil be the cause of my occasional starting difficulties?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 am 

Quote:

It's a symptom of your starting difficulties. You have a lot of blow by. Do a compression check before you invest another dime.
Quote:
............my mechanic.........said it could be a bad PCV

If by "my mechanic" you mean a friend who is willing to help, then both of you need to explore how these G10 engines work. Get a Factory Service Manual, for your model year, from E-Bay. A bad PCV is not likely to cause oil in the air cleaner. With that much blow by, you're PCV & Y-tube are surely plugged or close to it. Pull the PCV, Y-Tube, & Air Cleaner housing. Clean very well will carb cleaner & blow out with compressed air. It May run a Little better for the short term. But you need to find the root cause.

If "your mechanic" is a employee at a service garage, meaning you pay money every time they lift a wrench, then don't ever let them touch your car again. One of these times they'll break something, make excuses, and charge you for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:09 am 

SnowFish wrote:
Quote:

It's a symptom of your starting difficulties. You have a lot of blow by. Do a compression check before you invest another dime.
Quote:
............my mechanic.........said it could be a bad PCV

If by "my mechanic" you mean a friend who is willing to help, then both of you need to explore how these G10 engines work. Get a Factory Service Manual, for your model year, from E-Bay. A bad PCV is not likely to cause oil in the air cleaner. With that much blow by, you're PCV & Y-tube are surely plugged or close to it. Pull the PCV, Y-Tube, & Air Cleaner housing. Clean very well will carb cleaner & blow out with compressed air. It May run a Little better for the short term. But you need to find the root cause.

If "your mechanic" is a employee at a service garage, meaning you pay money every time they lift a wrench, then don't ever let them touch your car again. One of these times they'll break something, make excuses, and charge you for it.

Good post. A factory service manual is one of the best investments you can make in your car, and will save you hundreds in parts and labour if you can successfully diagnose and treat your problems yourself using your own brain and your own tools. That should be your first step in solving this problem for sure. Then, as Snowfish says, get your compression tested to see what's going on in the cylinders.