TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 pm 

Hi,

I just picked up a 1994 3 cylinder with automatic transmission.

The transmission control module has a bad capacitor so I disconnected it and am shifting manually until I stop by radio shack. I have not tested the solenoids, but from my understanding disconnecting the tcm should eliminate them from the equation.

The problem is the car seems sluggish when starting in first gear. It seems to have plenty of power in 2, 3, and R.

Also, what seems odd to me is that it is inconsistent. Sometimes it is a little more sluggish than other times. This behavior does not seem to be related to temperature, ie starting the car cold or hot the sluggishness remains inconsistent.

All the manual car fans please don't respond with 'buy a manual car'... I have 2 of those and this is my third automatic, all 3 cylinder. My other automatic cars do not exhibit this odd sluggishness in first gear. I am not sure what the ratios are but R seems fine which I find puzzling.

I can change the transmission fluid this weekend but I don't really have a lot of hope that will change much in itself. I am hoping someone with more experience with the automatics might have some additional tests to suggest? Other than looking for metal shavings in the box what else might I inspect while I got the pan off (other than the shift solenoids of course)?

Oh yeah, it seems more sluggish in 1 regardless of having the AC on or off. Slightly better with it off of course but the performance is still not what it should be.

I will check the compression this weekend too, but I wouldnt expect the performance I am getting in R, 2, and 3 if the engine was bad. Note check engine light is off and idle seems acceptable.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:03 pm 

Hi,

So I checked the hoses and TPS. Those checked out but the problem persists.

However, while nosing around I found a sensor that appears that may be broken. Unfortunately, I do not know what it is called or how to determine if it is working. The problem with the sensor appears to be mechanical so I am not sure if it is working or not. The tab that the plug attaches to spins around on the sensor. This does not seem like it would be normal.

I was hoping someone may be able to tell me what this sensor is and how I can determine if it is working or not.

May not be related to my sluggishness but I might as well fix it regardless.

I attached an image with an arrow pointing to the sensor that is toward the bottom of the throttle body on the passenger side.

Thanks!

Attachments:
pq.jpg [172.26 KIB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 pm 

That is coolant temp sensor for cutting power to ac if engine over heats.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for the info on that sensor! Turns out it was bad. Coincidentally my AC mysteriously quit working this week. It would not engage the compressor. So on a whim I wiggled the sensor and voila - working AC!

...AND, I figured out the problem with the sluggishness! The timing was set to zero. Good grief, I should have recognized such symptoms (lack of power) and checked that first! :thwack: duh! What was wierd was I swear the performance was as inconsistent as I described in my first post. But, oh well, I finally got her running nicely now!

Hopefully my mistake can help someone in the future.... Poor performance? check that timing!