TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Timing Issue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 pm 

I recently purchased a 1996 Geo Metro, 5 speed with the 1.0L. The engine was burning oil and we decided to replace it with a rebuilt engine. We installed the engine last weekend and set the timing by ear. It is running good and had a great amount of power compared to previous engine.

Today I check the timing and noticed that when I place a paperclip to check the timing, it does not change where the timing is reading.

From my understanding, the computer will advance the timing and this should give the base line. The engine was warmed up and at about 900 rpm.

I went ahead and set the timing to around 8 and the idle decreases greatly, runs rough and a loss of power. The distributor is turned all the way towards the rear of the car. It does not sound like it is pinging (from what I understand pinging sounds like form youtube) from 8 - 30 or in between. It seems different form setting the timing on my v8 F150.

The engine came with the timing belt installed and the mechanic that helped me install the motor said it was good. It still seems to run a little rough but I have read that the engines do shake a little because it is only 3 cylinders.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is why is there no chance when I jump the terminals with the paperclip and why is it reading so high on the timing?

I have searched the forum and google and found only one similar case that they thought it was a sensor, but I lost the page.

Thank you for any help you can offer. I expect to have this car for a long while and do not want to hurt the new engine.

~David~

Post subject: Re: Timing Issue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 pm 

First off, Welcome to the Team!

Double check the cam & crank timing marks. Sounds like the belt is off a tooth. Easy to do. We've all done it.

The jumper should retard the timing to base. Should be very noticeable. Without the jumper, the timing will advance as the engine revs. Does this happen with the jumper in?

Double, double check that you're jumping the ports.

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:29 pm 

Thank you for your reply and I'm happy to have found this site.

I will take a look at the timing marks this weekend. Would the belt being off be the reason that the timing has to be set so high to run properly? Is it still safe to drive it?

I connected the jumper between the bottom left and bottom center on the port. I did this a couple times on two different days. The paperclip was getting a good connection with the contacts. It sill advances with the paperclip in. The wires seem to have a good connection in the port and I traced the wires back into the wire harness and they seem in good condition.

~David~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 am 

Quote:
I connected the jumper between the bottom left and bottom center on the port.

If that's where the sticker under the hood says, then you're probably right. I'm not 100% familiar with the 96+ OBDII Metros. Sorry.
Quote:
Would the belt being off be the reason that the timing has to be set so high to run properly?

Very possibly.
Quote:
Is it still safe to drive it?

Probably won't hurt unless it's pinging to death. Ping can be hard to detect on a fresh tight build. Your power suffer with it off a tooth too. I, for one, would not drive it until the issue is resolved.

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:44 am 

Tip:

I have to manually ground the lead (I have a GT, but I believe the wire to ground is always the purple and green one). For whatever reason I can't get a good ground through the harness even though the wire looks fine. I just run a wire to a convenient ground under the hood and then I can get the advance to stop moving all over the place.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216