TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

The guy I bought it from said the fuel pump is bad. He parked it for 5 years. First I put in a new battery. Second, Rather than drop the gas tank and replace the $100 part on the dudes word, I decided to start with replacing the fuel filter, and siphoned off old skunky gas. Still no start. If I take off the air filter and trickle a few drops down the throttle body, she starts and sounds quite nice. She dies when I stop adding drops of gas.
Is there a way I can test the fuel pump? Thanks in advance.
Pictures speak 1,000 words.
It's a 1994 Swift, 1.3L single overhead cam, 99k miles. 5 speed manual. Nonturbo.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 pm 

On the 3 cylinder engines, there's a ground wire that attaches to the back of the intake manifold.

If the ground wire is loose or not connected, the fuel pump will not operate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 am 

Also check fuel pump relay. To check fuel pump pull the big fuel hose off and if fuel comes out when key turned on.

14 ford Mustang v6.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 pm 

sledgehammer wrote:
Also check fuel pump relay. To check fuel pump pull the big fuel hose off and if fuel comes out when key turned on.

Now that you say it like that, it makes sense. Ok, I'm under the Swift, filler hose is off, and no noise when the key is on. Tells me either the pump is dead, or the relay is. How do I test and where is the relay?
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 pm 

On the gt the fuse is in the black box next to the battery. Maybe it's missing or blown.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 pm 

Ok I bit the bullet and pulled the gas tank. Glad I did. There was more rust than parts in there. The inside is coated with rust, mud, crud, and gook. The fuel level sensor rusted off, and the pump has a hole rusted in the side. All I need to know now is how to clean out the inside of a rusted tank. Ideas?
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am 

If it's that crusty, I'd just get a new one. I did.

Rock Auto

1994 SUZUKI SWIFT 1.3L L4 SOHC : Fuel/Air : Fuel Tank Price
SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # GM35 Lock Ring Kit Included
32-1/4" x 20-1/8" x 8"

$127.79

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm 

OK I've been on the internet for hours and finally found the Fuel level sender unit. Inside the gas tank there is a little float that sends the fuel level up to the front. Well mine rusted off and was laying on the bottom of the tank. The wire the float was hooked to was like a clothes hanger. Now if you want a fuel pump, you can buy 30 different kinds and find them everywhere! BUT if you want a 1994 Suzuki Swift fuel level sensor AKA 1994 Suzuki Swift fuel level gauge AKA 1994 Suzuki Swift Fuel Sending Unit, there are only two places I've found one for sale. The reason why I did that is maybe a google search will lead people to this post and save them hours of searching.

The part number is 3481160B20

https://partsouq.com/ {[{[[{{ Now they are sold out}}}}}}}}]]
http://www.oemsuzukiparts.com/

Last edited by climbinghalfdome on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:27 pm 
Suzuki Elder

snowfish is right on it.

ditch that troublesome fuel tank and snag a new one from rock auto. the tanks are all the same from 89 thru 94. i'm relatively sure that all the sending units, wire bales and floats are all the same, too.

there are differences between the big rectangular bolt on fuel doors, though. nothing odd or incompatible but the gt fuel doors and fuel pumps are different. as rule, from now on i'm using the gt stuff no matter whether it's going on a 3 banger, a sohc g13, a turbo3, or a twincam. the pump is bigger and i believe it's more robust. the pump would be an e8023.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 am 

Thanks t3 ragtop.

Then I found one from http://www.oemsuzukiparts.com
The magic part # is
3481160B20

Then with a little searching I found this;
http://geometroforum.com/topic/5181428/1/#new
I've bought the white viniger, now I just need to drop it in.
Stay tuned.
Kevin