TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: overheating geo metro
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 pm 

I have a 93 1.0 liter geo metro. I have ben loseing water for a while.I can fill it up drive ten miles and then it starts to overheat.I have replaced the radiator took thermostat out.The coolant fan comes on like it is supposed to.I presssured up each cylinder with 120 lbs psi and looked for bubbles in radiator no bubbles.I pressured radiator to 15 lbs and it held pressure and no water in cylinders.I pulled water pump and looked good no loose impellor or anything.I put one those gas combution in radiator color of solution stayed blue.I have a new pressure cap.It has 160 psi compression just loses water and then it overheats.I got a problem and get drive car very far.IT runs good no white smoke anytime and no leaks.Ii just blows coolant out of overflow and then overheats :buzz: help philrmech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:38 pm 

While I am no expert. I would say that your Head-gasket is toasted. I believe that a crack in the gasket has formed, between the cylinders and the water jacket that is around the cylinders. This would explain the out-flow from the puke tank. Sorry to be the barer of bad tidings.
Also if you replace the gasket, resist temptation to by-pass having the head re-surfaced and checked for cracks. If you have overheated the engine. it will probably be warped or cracked,or both.
DO!!!!!! resist the temptation to rebuild just the top half of your motor. and leave the bottom alone. EVERYTIME!!! I have done that I started pushing oil out the bottom end,(Burning it past the rings)
others on this forum have had better and different results, so your mileage may vary. Good Luck, Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:59 pm 

I think it is probably head gasket or busted head or block.It loses water but not in the overflow just stem in overflow.It has to be getting water and somehow inject it in the exhaust side because there is no white smoke and no leaks. it uses a couple of quarts in 20 miles.Somebody give me sum help I am stumped thanks philrmech :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:41 pm 

could it have a crack in the exhaust valve guides and burning it without white smoke.Help me out here I cannot figure this out. thanks help phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:19 pm 

Hi phil, I have a 1992 Suzuki cultus, I had the very same problem as you.

My car would actually be fine on short journeys just tipping around the town and such. But on motorways it would overheat and dump all the coolant out the expansion tank overflow tube.

I did a co2 test and the liquid stayed blue, removed the thermostat, bypassed the heater matrix, new radiator, radiator cap, water pump etc...

Turned out my cylinder head was pitted and allowing water to pass. The leak was causing an increase in pressure in the cooling system under hard driving conditions and so, dumping the coolant out the overflow.

I got my head skimmed and replaced the gasket and that fixed it.

These engines are very handy to work on, you would remove the head in under an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:40 pm 

If you were very accurate on pressuring up each cylinder, then your head gasket is ok and you have a cracked head. I would pressure each cylinder up one more time and make sure valves are closed , no bubbles In rad. If there are no bubbles, and no external leaks, you are looking at a cracked head or block. This is not a common problem with the g series of Suzuki engine, and really hard to finally pinpoint. I had it happen once, same exact deal as you, no coolant loss anywhere , but it would lose 4L(a gallon) of coolant on a 100km trip. Obviously if I headed out again it would have overheated. I did a head gasket and of course it didn't change as it had held pressure during testing. Never went further with that car, but I'm quite certain it was a cracked head, most likely as you described, leaking and burning coolant right as it left exhaust port, so there was no smell or sign of it going out the pipe.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!