TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:07 pm 

I just bought a 1991 firefly 4 door auto 3cyl TBI. it has 179000km on it and it starts a bit rough. after it warms up it seams to settle down. I haven't taken it on the highway yet. I have noticed a small amount of smoke out the tailpipe.

I pulled the spark plugs (after a 20sec warm up) and one is black and is wet with fuel.( farthest away from the distributor) and the other 2 are white. all three look in good shape so I suspect they are not old plugs.

after warm up, there seems to be good power.

is there an idiosyncrasy about these engines, A small thing that has been over looked during past tune ups?

Cheers BM

i did read all posts in this section and couldnt find or I missed it before I made a post

1972 GMC Seirra Grande 4X4
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
2013 Suzuki SX4 AWD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 am 

There are a few things to know about these cars and engines. The first is that if you haven't rebuilt is at 150-200km you will need to. The specific issue is that the exhaust valves burn and wear out around this mileage. This causes compression to drop due to loss of sealing. Do a cold and warm compression test on yours before you chase tune up just yet.
The repair for that issue is to replace all exhaust valves in the cylinder head and check the rest of head out. Most times I've found a good cleaning and 3 new valves works fine for that. The next thing to be aware of is that these engines are very very likely to smoke and burn oil after a head rebuild, which in turn causes valves to burn again. The fix for this is piston ring replacement.
It can be a pain but once rings, valves and associated parts needed in the repair process are done, the engines run strong for ages, have a nice jump in power and mileage as well. As daunting as a rebuild sounds, it's really a straight forward job and not that costly.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:49 pm 

thanks for the info codyb76. if it wasn't my daily driver I would take on the challenge. how much would one pay for an engine from a wrecker? and how much money in parts you mention to do a rebuild?

thanks

1972 GMC Seirra Grande 4X4
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
2013 Suzuki SX4 AWD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 am 

Check your local parts place, or rockauto.com for parts prices. $500 would buy everything and more Id guess. No idea about a wrecker engine cost, maybe $300-1000 from what I've seen around here. In my experience used engines aren't effective, but may work as a short term fix. Refreshing the engine with a basic rebuild is the only way to go in my opinion. One time repair, proven effective, should last the rest of the useful life of the car.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!