TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:11 am 

So like the title says im thinking of getting back into the geo sceen and had a few questions if you guys don't mind. First is what kind of power have you herd a n/a 3 cyl. Metro pull at the wheels?(90-94 years) Im talking 13:1 comp pistons tripple carb and the biggest cam 3tech makes with all the supporting mods to go along with?

Next question is how much boost can the stock crank and main bearings support? I know the stock non turbo car rods and pistons limmits from my last car lol.

Nect question. How high of rpms will the stock top end hold up to running either high comp. or high boost?
And last but not least have you seen or heard many reviews about the parts from suzuki racing development as far as their forged pistons and rods?

Thanks for any help with my questions. I am in a personal debate as to which way i want to go. And yes i do know boosted cars make more power than na im just trying to get an idea more so from others as to how much of a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:33 pm 

Is this Bob?

The stock crank and mains can handle more boost than you're going to be able to make.

By top end, what do you mean? If properly fuelled, and timed, I don't see a problem with 8500-9000 RPM

As far as pistons and rods, I would stick with factory stuff. Some of it is very good and there are some good options. I don't see a reason to spend big money on forged parts when the T3/GT forged rods are very good, and factory/replacement pistons are capable and reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:01 pm 

Yea this is bob. Im looking at 25-30 lbs of boost. (If i go the boosted rout) thats good to know about the gt and g10t internals. By top end im curious as to how high the revs can go before valve float. Also a good friend of mine in the dsm (eclipse/evo) world is having valve float issues from the ammount of boost he is running pushing them open. Thats why i was curious about the springs holding at high boost leavels. Granted he is pushing 46lbs @9700rpm. The main parts I was curious about from suzuki racing were the high comp [13/1] pistons for a n/a build.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:26 pm 
Suzuki Elder

what he said........ :wink: :werd:

you can give a g10 a tremendous rev range using the twincam/turbo3 rods. you can pretty much prep them the same as any good build on a v8 and they work great. :D

the engines are easy to build but to unlock the ultimate fury of all 3 hamsters the secret is in engine management, fuel injection, and ignition timing. :twisted:

3 tech performance can hook you up with proven head work and cam options. i found a local machine shop, one where the guys understood the work i asked them for and didn't fight with me when i asked for something they thought was wierd. honestly, the tiny 3 banger responds to little things that remove the manufacturing errors that resulted from mass production. blueprint and balance one these little boogers and you'll be amazed. :ez_pimp:

i reduce the base compression on my turbo3 engines to something on the order of 8.1:1 and then boost them. i have an engine that was holding 21 pounds and breathing pretty well up to 9000 rpm (although the power was falling off.) the engine management controls are where it's at to do that.

i run megasquirt2 extra recently re-worked to sequential injection, 450cc/min injectors, one of mike's medium grind cams, sequential cop ignition, a turbine tech manifold with a kkk ko4 turbo, water to air intercooling, on massaged oem turbo3 internals.

guys before me had some problems with high boost on the 3 bangers, chucking rods through the block, fueling problems, and the like. you need to devise an absolutely rock solid timing system. an ignition reset or a fart of any kind in the ignition timing and you're done at high boost.

i built my timing set using hall effect devices and external conditioning boards and then bench tested the timing set up to 19,800 rpm to make sure it would turn 9 grand without a hiccup.

for an n/a build you can use twincam pistons and shave the head (or deck the block) to get the base compression where you want it.

good luck in your endeavors. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

I've already built one turbo 3 metro but it was on stock n/a3 internals and kept the stock tbi setup. Mike did his extreme cam grind for me and degreed the cam gear. Thank you for the advise on the timing and such though. This will be a long build process.....still have to find a car lol. What kind of power were/are you making @21lbs?