TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 pm 

Well, even after not owning any metro's for 2years, I couldn't help but pick up this 1995 black Metro 1.3auto. For $300 & title issues.

First is pull the dash for paint and new VIN.... once I find a title and a vin for sale.

Then strip the inside to clean it all, not "bad" but damn dirty...

Then go into the engine: She said she put a fuel pump on and right after it wouldn't fire, then after tune-up they found "chocolate milk" in the oil.

When I push on the brake pedal with key on the buzzer makes a weird rap.

Here's the before pictures....
Many dents but can just pop out most.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/95-Metro/11943749

Why this one, only 100k miles & ZERO RUST plus professional undercoating

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have to point out that changing a vin is a felony crime in 50 states and monkeying with a title could get you a nice visit to the gray bar hotel.

and if you were inclined to do that, blabbing it on the internet isn't all that smart. :roll:

just sayin'........

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:24 am 

He may have some one that work for a title company that can get it fixed. Here in South Carolina there are a few companies that are title service companies. That is what they do every day. In Georgia next door to South Carolina if a car is over 10 yrs old they don't have to have a title so these companies Came out of this reason for being here. May be he can find 1 in his state.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 am 

hotrodray1 wrote:
He may have some one that work for a title company that can get it fixed. Here in South Carolina there are a few companies that are title service companies. That is what they do every day. In Georgia next door to South Carolina if a car is over 10 yrs old they don't have to have a title so these companies Came out of this reason for being here. May be he can find 1 in his state.

Hey thanks ^^^^

Well no I didn't think it to be a felony, I searched and couldn't find what law you are referring to. Illegal to steal, illegal to fraud, but illegal to swap over all parts containing vin in honest attempt to recover a project car? maybe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 am 
Suzuki Elder

you don't say where you live but here in ohio it's listed in the ohio revised code with a whole bunch of other things related to automobiles. you can't roll back odometers, you can't legally change a vin assigned by a manufacturer, you can't modify or "wash" a title, you can't legally substitute another title, etc.

you can request that the state issues a new title. towing and impound lots do that all the time. mechanic shops can place liens against a vehicle and get new titles issued so that they can sell a car to recover repair fees. there are ways to legally obtain a title for a car. sometimes the only criteria is having possession of the vehicle for 30 days and trying to contact the previous owner at his last known address.

it's against ohio state laws for a minor to hold title to a motor vehicle. if you are under the age of 18 you cannot buy or sell a motor vehicle. when you apply for a title at ohdmv you have to provide id and it you are not 18 they will not issue a title.

as far as the seller is concerned, bill of sale or not, a seller cannot leagally convey title of a motor vehicle unless the car is titled in their name. jumping title on a car in ohio is illegal. the previous buyer has not paid the sales tax on their transaction and so they don't really own the car.

ohio has some other things going on, too. if you don't apply for a new title on a car purchased within 30 days of the previous owner signing the title over to you, you have to pay a late fee at the time you make application for the issuance of a new title in your name. the seller must have a notary public witness their signature and apply a notary seal before you can run the title at the ohdmv and apply for a change of ownership.

the great state of ohio also limits a person to 5 vehicle sales per year. sell 6 and they will send you a letter that basically says you need to hold a vendor's license and make yourself a legit car salesman. when you do that you are on the hook to collect sales taxes for the state, pay quarterly income taxes on the sales, keep records in accordance with state law, etc.

the ohio state patrol is a good source of information on what's required for you to obtain a new title (and their information sometimes differs from that you get from the ohdmv.)

i hope that you can get things straightened out with the car title. just be careful and do it legally so you don't get your butt in a sling. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 am 

When I bought my vert from a junk yard it had no title. I rummaged thru glove box and found old registration and insurance card. VIN's matched the car. I went online to the Nebraska DMV website and found the forms for a vehicle records search. Printed and completed form included my $1 money order for the one record I wanted. Two to three weeks later I got a letter back with the info, name and address of last registered owner. next step was the phone book. Called the lady up, she still had title but not sure what she did with it but would get replacement if needed. I paid the $14 for the new title.
The junk yard tried telling me it was $250+ and 6 month process to get replacement.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:57 pm 

Good news is the motor's fine! Not a cracked head, full of gas from stuck injector. They must have got some dirt in it from the fuel pump change and that's why it never ran again there after.

Got the mirror on and some dents popped out, digging the motor being full of gas over being full of coolant ;)