TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: oil pan interchange?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am 
@ssclown

Does anyone know for sure if an oil pan off a 1997 Geo Metro 4 door sedan with automatic transmission and a 1.3 litre four cylinder engine is going to fit on my 1994 Suzuki Swift 4 door sedan with 5speed manual transmission and a 1.3 litre four cylinder engine?
The oil pan on my 1994 Suzuki is dented and holed and the previous owner patched the hole with some beige coloured substance which is now leaking so if it fits I want to go and buy the pan off the 1997 Metro.

Post subject: Re: oil pan interchange?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:38 am 

coasterII wrote:
Does anyone know for sure if an oil pan off a 1997 Geo Metro 4 door sedan with automatic transmission and a 1.3 litre four cylinder engine is going to fit on my 1994 Suzuki Swift 4 door sedan with 5speed manual transmission and a 1.3 litre four cylinder engine?
The oil pan on my 1994 Suzuki is dented and holed and the previous owner patched the hole with some beige coloured substance which is now leaking so if it fits I want to go and buy the pan off the 1997 Metro.

All 1.3l engines have the same block, so I don't see why not...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:43 am 

It won't work. The 97 will have a crank sensor hole through it that wont seal properly on the 94 oil pump end. You will need a pre-96 pan. 96 up all have the crank sensor through the pan.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am 

codyb76 wrote:
It won't work. The 97 will have a crank sensor hole through it that wont seal properly on the 94 oil pump end. You will need a pre-96 pan. 96 up all have the crank sensor through the pan.

oops, good to know. We didn't got 95+ cars over here...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:29 pm 

Sorry didn't check your location. My information refers to north American models. Regardless, it's the crank sensor in newer models that needs to be checked for. Long as there isn't a hole for that, pans are the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 pm 
@ssclown

codyb76 wrote:

Great stuff Cody, thanks a ton, you've saved me wasting half a day and fifty bucks or whatever, I was going to go out there and get it as soon as I had the time. I'm going to look around for the pre 96 pan but if there isn't one around for cheap I'll scrape that beige stuff off the dented and holed pan on the 94 and see exactly what the hole is like and see if I feel like welding it up or not.

Can you see the crank sensor hole while the pan is still installed on the car? My daily driver right now is a '98 4 door sedan Chevrolet Metro 1.3l with manual trans so it should have the same crank sensor hole. If I can see the crank sensor hole while the pan is still on the car I could slide under my 98 metro and look at the hole and see if I could easily weld it shut then get the 97 firefly pan and weld it shut.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:19 pm 
@ssclown

codyb76 wrote:
Sorry didn't check your location. My information refers to north American models. Regardless, it's the crank sensor in newer models that needs to be checked for. Long as there isn't a hole for that, pans are the same.

My location is Vancouver, British Columbia, so I'm pretty sure we got North American models. I'll double check though, since nothing's for sure out here, this place being so infested with left wing degenerate wing nuts and what not.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:28 pm 
@ssclown

jankoelbola wrote:
All 1.3l engines have the same block, so I don't see why not...

I never knew that, it's a good thing to know if I'm looking for other used parts again down the road, thanks for letting me know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:15 pm 

You can clearly see the crank sensor, it'll be a bit oily usually, but easy to spot from underneath with car lifted up. I don't think welding it up would really work, you will see why once you look at it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:54 pm 
@ssclown

codyb76 wrote:
You can clearly see the crank sensor, it'll be a bit oily usually, but easy to spot from underneath with car lifted up. I don't think welding it up would really work, you will see why once you look at it.

Thanks, I'm going to go check it out right now but I hopefully won't have to mess around with any hole welding or whatnot because since I last posted that I think I've found good used oil pans that'll fit. They are on pre '96 2 door hatchback Swifts with the 1.3litre 4 cylinder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 pm 
@ssclown

coasterII wrote:
codyb76 wrote:

Thanks, I'm going to go check it out right now but I hopefully won't have to mess around with any hole welding or whatnot because since I last posted that I think I've found good used oil pans that'll fit. They are on pre '96 2 door hatchback Swifts with the 1.3litre 4 cylinder.

I see what you mean, that whole end of the oil pan is dished in to clear the crank position sensor. However, the bolt patterns appear to be the same so I think it would be possible to plug the hole if you had to. I'm pretty sure I won't have to though, I'm going to take my pan off and take it with me to check for fit after I remove the pre '96 2 door hatchback Swift pan I plan to buy. Hopefully that will be tomorrow and hopefully that will be the last extra work creating problem that pops up in getting this new clutch in.
Although now I'm finding it real hard to get motivated to put this one back together because the 4 door sedan metro 1.3 litre 5 speed manual that I bought three weeks ago and is my daily driver has four fuel injectors and a better looking intake manifold than my other four 4 door sedans which all have have one fuel injector and throttle body injection. the 98 I'm driving now seems to be much quicker than what I remember the one I'm putting the clutch in was. I've only ever driven it for a couple of days and that was when I first bought it over a year and a half ago but I remember that the engine seem tired and gutless. I want to find more cheap '98 four door sedans with four injectors and lose all of the single injector throttle body injected sedans. Unless I can somehow easily make them much faster. But the automatics I'll just ditch once I have enough daily drivers and backups back on the road. Or keep them for parts.