TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:08 pm 

Hi to all, just need some guidance on an issue I have with this 91 convertible Metro with automatic transmission. I bought this car from someone around here because I always wanted to have one of those cars (I have another 1988 MK1). The issue I have with the car is with the idle speed, when I got the car from the previous owner, at normal idle and with the auto transmission at Neutral or Parking the engine rpm is at around 2,000 so when the tranny is placed on gear it will not die. I started looking at some things and doing some reading and found out that the throttle body coolant passage was clogged, so I went ahead and put in there another known good throttle body. Now when the coolant is cold the engine RPM is high and as the coolant gets hot, the idle RPM goes down to a normal value. But when the tranny is shifted, the engine is not increasing the engine rpm to compensate for the load, and it practically dies. I further did some other checks and found that the engine starter can be cranked at any tranny position (P, R,N,D), do not know if this has something to do with this, but wanted to mention just in case.

Can someone provide some light and guidance on this issue? I want to use the car but hate to have the idle speed that high with the engine at neutral.

Thanks, luiso16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:13 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my thought is that you should perform a compression test on all 3 cylinders.

when compression is low on an autotragic the power unit shakes in the engine mounts. sometimes the engine dies when the car is stopped in drive because the engine doesn't generate enough power to keep the torque converter spinning.

care needs to be taken when adjusting the engine idle speed that you do not adjust the position of the throttle plate to achieve a specific idle speed. fiddling with the throttle plate position also changes the tps adjustment with bad results.

the proper idle adjustment would be made using the idle air screw on the rear driver's side of the throttle body under the rubber plug. there was also an idle adjuster on the firewall in the center piped to the little tube manifold. i'm not sure that all verts had that spring loaded thumbscrew but all of the verts i have seen with air conditioning had them. i removed one from my 91 blue vert, 3 banger, stick shift, with no a/c.

be sure to let us know what you find on the compression check. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:49 pm 

Ragtop, thanks for the info, will get compression check figures when I can, but doesn't this engine has like a sort of idle up compensator that activates in situations like this like the old MK1s? I know on the old MK1 it has an idle up actuator kicks in when shifting into D or when load is applied like lights ON.

Thanks, luiso16