TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:57 am 

I decided to remove my drivers side (RHD) 1/4 panel today to remove the inevitable build up of dirt etc that catches in the "wheel well" near the door and can potentially rust out. In the process I also decided to remove the air box behind the panel to clean it out, which got me thinking as to what is the actual purpose of the box?

Does it do anything other than catch debris that comes in from the open inlet? I was also wondering as I have the G16B "Tennis racquet" air filter configuration if moving the air intake to inside the engine bay rather than the stock location behind the 1/4 panel would increase air flow?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: Behind the 1/4 panel
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG [ 539.25 KIB | Viewed 616 times ]
File comment: Air Box
air box.jpg
air box.jpg [ 523.61 KIB | Viewed 615 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm 

It's more or less a sound box so you can't hear the intake well driving. I removed mine 2 years ago and have had no ill effects. As for moving the intake it would be better where it is as it draws in cooler air then under hood. That's why most cheap "cold air kits" that just have a tube and filter at the end are a down grade. All they do is suck in really hot engine bay air. If you wanted more airflow run a tub to the front of the car behind the grill it will also somewhat act as a ramair effect by forcing air into the intake as you go faster. People might laugh at this but on my old chevette I had a heating duck behind my grill and tubed into my intake. But I gained 3/4 of a second in the 1/4 mile so i know it worked.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 pm 

Interesting, thank you for the information. Makes alot of sense with the cold air, It just seems counter intuitive to put the intake for it behind the 1/4 panel when there is limited air flow as it is blocked by the park lights and the wheel arch is covered. I might try the intake idea thanks!