TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:19 pm 

My engine may be telling me it's getting worn out (compression). Or maybe it's something else?

The other day, it seemed to stall out the first time I tried to start it. I shrugged it off as maybe I let loose of the key too soon since I was in a hurry to leave and get back home. I had no more problems with that until yesterday.

Yesterday I drove about 40 miles round trip, about 70% hwy 30% city. I had no issues until I got back to town and stopped off at the grocery store to pick up something for dinner. Then the car wouldn't start at first. I tried a few times normally and it wouldn't stay running. It acted like it wasn't getting any gas or something.

I stopped and thought about it a moment and decided to try running the starter a bit longer than normal and I got it going. I drove a mile or so home, parked it, shut it off and let it sit about a minute. Then I tried starting it again.. and it started fine on the first try.

I realize I need to get the compression checked either by a shop or by just taking an hour or less and doing it myself with a free tool rental from O'Reilly, but assuming it passes the compression test, which may be wishful thinking at 197,2XX miles with an AT, what else might I look into?

I may just have to face the writing on the wall though. I did notice that my last tank of gas got suddenly much worse MPG. But then again, I am heavy on the throttle taking off from stops and it was 100% city driving, including up some very steep hills where I throw it into 1st to climb from a take off due to stupid traffic lights on steep up hills. I haven't had the car 1,000 miles even so my overall fuel economy tracking is in it's infancy.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/geo/metro/1993/cubey/312036

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:22 pm 

Oh and it might be worth mentioning... it was in a body shop for 2 weeks getting the bumper and related stuff replaced from a recent wreck. There's no telling how much they might have let the car sit idling eating up gas without putting any miles on it. I doubt they could have let it idle enough to eat up an entire gallon of gas but you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:01 pm 

I haven't done any starting to see, but I went out to check the distributor cap and rotor just now. The upper screw was tight and after loosening but not removing, I found the lower screw as loose and was I was able to unscrew it by hand. Maybe that was part of the problem. Also, the distributor gasket isn't present.

The cap and rotor looked pretty new. Next thing to check is the spark plugs themselves once I get a 13/16" spark plug socket.

The loose cap may have been the problem, though.