TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:02 am 

Hi, I'm going to look at a '94 Swift tomorrow. I believe it is the 1.3L SOHC engine. This will be my first swift/metro and so I'm wondering what are some things I should check on it. It has fairly low mileage (around 150,000), I know to check the oil and coolant for mixing, run without radiator cap on and look for bubbles and splashing, look for oil leaks... unfortunately I am not able to bring a compression tester with me so can't check that.

What else should I take a look at? Excited and really hope there's nothing major wrong with it and I get it! :)

Zac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 am 

You could easily borrow a compression tester at O'reilly's or Autozone, and doing a compression test is the key to whether the car is worth $120 or $1200.
Of course, if you plan on rebuilding the engine and have $800 cash to do the engine rebuild, just drive it and see if it makes noise in the different gears.
Look for cracks in the CV boots, watch the temperature gauge when you test drive it for a good 20 minutes, and look at the paint, windshield for cracks, locks match, stereo is present and working, and maintenance records.

There are a dozen threads like yours with much better answers than this, and here's a couple:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56341

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53199

I'm sure you can find 10 more even better.

Now that one of the members has responded, it would be nice to take pictures of the car and update this thread as you move forward.

Here is a '94 Swift SOHC in good condition:
If it had low compression, those wheels would be the same as a putting lipstick on a pig, because it would need to be rebuilt before it could be driven reliably and efficiently.

The compression test is the most important test you can do before buying a used car.
It will give you an excellent snapshot of where that engine is in its life, and will tell you whether or not to buy it.
Use the resources available to do a compression test and don't get sucked into a bad deal.

Take 20 minutes to pull all the plugs and check each cylinder.
The owner should be quite willing unless he has something to hide.
Compression should be 200 across the board.
If it is 165 or less in any cylinder, you are looking at a rebuild.

It might be a PITA or make you uncomfortable, but this isn't a big deal.
At least I hope it isn't.

Be a man, Zac and do a compression test.
No excuses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:01 pm 

It's not a matter of "being a man", I've done compression tests before. It's just what he agreed to drop the price to is the only money I have right now, other than gas to get there. I've rented compression testers before from O'Reillys and know it's just a deposit, but I really don't have the money right now or else I would.

Might be able to convince my girlfriend to let me borrow it until I can return the tester tomorrow, but not thinking it's very likely as money is tight for the both of us right now.

But thank you for your insight, and I'll post later on what becomes of this trip.

Zac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 pm 

I have a question. I read the write-up for how to do a compression test... my only question is, is cylinder 1 on the left of the engine or the right, looking at the front of it?

Also if I'm understanding correctly, I will remove ALL the spark plugs, and test compression with WOT. Followed by the same procedure after putting 1 tsp of engine oil into each spark plug hole. Is this correct?

And does it matter what engine oil/weight I use? Since it's such a small amount. I think I've got a little 15w30 or something around here, don't want to buy another quart unless it's necessary.

Zac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 pm 
Island Inbreeder

#1 is on your left passenger side of the car
a real man will do it dry
non of this sissy lube/oil stuff
.....jv&s

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:16 am 

Well, nevermind about all that. I texted him saying we were about to leave to drive the 3.5 hours to look at it, and he said he already sold it. After telling me he could "probably" hold it for me. He was asking $650 and I talked him down to $500.. guessing he got closer to his asking price. Can't say I blame him.

Now if anyone knows a fixer-upper Metro/Swift/Sprint in Oregon for around that much, please do let me know! Have wanted one of these cars for a long time, just don't have a lot of money at the moment.

Zac