TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:13 pm 

I doubt it's a head gasket problem but I suppose it could be? Do G10s lose coolant but not mix it with oil with a blown head gasket?

There's no milky oil and in fact it stays pretty close to the right color. It darkens a little but that's normal. The oil level also says at a proper amount without adding any between changes.

It has a new radiator cap, only a few months old. I replaced it right after the overheat since I began looking for the reason for total loss of coolant. I had to get a safety kind because the regular ones wouldn't seal properly, even after patching the hole in the plastic radiator filler neck with JBWeld's Waterweld.

The cap it had when I got the car was actually the wrong cap for the car. It had a massive seal that ended up tearing. Now there's no leakage from the cap or the hole. I keep an eye on it every so often.

With the standard caps, I could squeeze the upper radiator hose and cause coolant to leak out from the cap. I tried them at both O'Reilly and AutoZone. The safety one at AutoZone sealed properly.

I think the gurgling noise was just air since I didn't notice it doing it yesterday. I will check the coolant level after a few more trips around town. I need to pick up another bottle of 50/50 since I'm actually out I realized the other day. I kept topping it off at the radiator when it had the bad thermostat. I think the bad thermostat may have been causing constant air the system so it was burping it out the overflow bottle before. It would lose SOME but then it wouldn't lose anymore after a certain point. Maybe I was just overfilling it though.

The car definitely warms up properly now with the new thermostat. My radiator fan is operating properly so I know that's not a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:41 am 

if any one wants to know its the same one as a buick allure 2008 dealer should have that

'98 Chevy K2500
'76 Harley Davidson FXE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 am 
Suzuki Elder

i have seen a few of these cars develop a leak where the pick up tube inserts into the back of the water pump housing or get pin hole leaks in the pick up tube. that allows a small leak to develop when the system pressurizes. you lose coolant without seeing a puddle under the car. the coolant sprays out while you are driving and blows back along the undercarriage where it is largely unseen.

coolant loss isn't always a blown head gasket. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 pm 

I got a bottle of antifreeze and topped off the overflow bottle after having the car somewhat warm. I had to drive to the store after all.

I filled it up to "full" on the bottle but it didn't take a great deal. Once I drive it a few more times around town I'll look again and top off if needed. I think it was just low from the shop not burping the air out of the system after replacing the thermostat. Since the thermostat I got has the rattle piece, it should purge itself of the air.

The gurgling sounded like it was coming from the heater core so it probably just had air in it. I couldn't hear it last time as somebody was riding with me and talking. I'll try to pay attention when I go out later today even though he'll be riding with me again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 am 

I suspect you are ok. These engines take overheating quite well, but there is always a risk of head gasket not holding after it gets fried. Keep and eye on your level and post later. You'll know if it keeps dropping with no leaks. To confirm properly, you need to put pistons at top dead centre with valves closed and put compressed air into cylinder. If it blows bubbles in radiator, head gasket is bad. Knowledgable repair shop should be able to do this and will likely charge about an hour of their time. Hopefully level just stabilizes and you are back on track with no further repairs.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!