TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:57 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 pm 

Whats some of the best ways to add a little power without sourcing turbo kits and such. I was thinking of getting a cam and cam gear, a better header, and seeing where to go from there.

Whats your guys opinion on this?

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:36 am 

Gearing, get a 4.39 from a newer geo/swift, you have the 3.52 so the 4.39 will give you bettee acceleration, if you dont mind the higher rpm and loss of mpg in the freeway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:43 am 

BikeAmusPrime wrote:
Whats some of the best ways to add a little power without sourcing turbo kits and such. I was thinking of getting a cam and cam gear, a better header, and seeing where to go from there.

Don't waste your money, get a Gti (DOHC model). Or if you are smart enough, sell the car and get a Honda... you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:32 pm 

Honda???? Hmmm don't they make lawnmowers, generators,tillers, snowblowers and other generic mechanical household appliances :huh: :huh: :huh: ???

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:58 am 
Island Inbreeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:21 am 

elbola wrote:
BikeAmusPrime wrote:

Don't waste your money, get a Gti (DOHC model). Or if you are smart enough, sell the car and get a Honda... you won't regret it.

I have friends with honduhs. I drive them once and a while. The whole lot of them are crap. My 2007 vw gti has way more power and torque. Rides better. Corners and handles better. More comfortable. And doesn't feel squirly at 110+mph. I just want my work car to perform a little better. Not replacing it with a honda. Or any other car when mine runs fine. I lile to keep it G....13

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:53 am 

I knew you guys would compare the "best" Suzuki to the worst Honda. If you want a performance car, than anything from a B-series engine and up will be better than ANYTHING Suzuki ever made. And don't let me even start talking about gearboxes.
But it doesn't have to be Honda either, there are many other makes out there that offered proper performance hatch-backs. And probably all of them have more options for aftermarket parts. Ever wondered why? That's because swifts are not race-cars and will never be unless you make a substancial investment.
If you want a daily, stick with your Suzuki. If you want a performance-oriented car with potential, then the best cost-benefit option is to sell it and get a better base to start with...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:35 pm 

This is one of the things I love about this forum. everyone is entitled to express an opinion (Even the misguided :shock: ) I sell a pile of Honda's at my dealership. they are good cars.(And for disclosure, I have been A Honda Stockholder for nearly 10 years, and the stock performs just like the cars. Consistently good, but numbingly boooorrrring.) But, as every high school parking lot will show you. Everyone and they're little sister has one. If driving a product from "Me Too" motors is your idea of a good time, go for it. But expect to see three cars just like yours every time you go to Wall-mart. and twice a day in the next lane while stopped at intersections. If on the other hand you like going for weeks (Or months) without seeing yourself driving in the lane right next to you. Or enjoy blowing blowing said Honda Into the weeds, at the "stoplight Grand Prix" by what the other driver perceives is A Geo Metro as he saw it receding into the far distance. Then A Swift GT/GTI might be in order. Best wishes to each. Jonathan

P.S. Please do follow the collective wisdom expressed here,( Including the original thought expressed by our Honda tattoo wearing friend from the Islands. :D :D ) save up and buy a GT/GTI "You won't regret it"

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:00 pm 

I've been thinking about this, intake/filter, cam, exhaust, cam gear, advance timing, and pistons right?

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:15 pm 
Teamswift Racer

BikeAmusPrime wrote:
I've been thinking about this, intake/filter, cam, exhaust, cam gear, advance timing, and pistons right?

Yep, you can spend a few thousand doing all that and make another 15hp or you can sell the car and buy a gti which has 30hp more and is completely stock standard and has better brakes to go with it, personally it's a no brainer decision but it's your money...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:39 pm 

I used to be a die-hard Gti fan, until I got to drive a bone stock B16-powered Honda SIR hatchback. After that I started reading about what people where doing with those engines and the figures they were getting... I couldn't lie to myself anymore, even the mighty G13B is no match. And that's looking at the best thing the GTi came with, now you have to talk about the rest.
An unbiased research about other hot-hatches out there can only get you to one conclusion: when it comes to performance potential, Suzuki just falls short. I'm a practical man, not a romantic, so I don't fall for the common subjective reasoning that most drivers have for defending their cars... at least not anymore. Right now I want to go as fast and cheap as possible, while still maintaining safety and reliability. I don't care about the make of the car.
HOWEVER, I will NEVER forget when I got to drive the Suzuki swift Gti for the first time after previously owning the 4-door and 2-door SOHC models. I can tell you I was smiling for days, the feeling was just awesome 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Prairie to Pine Co. wrote:
This is one of the things I love about this forum. everyone is entitled to express an opinion (Even the misguided :shock: ) I sell a pile of Honda's at my dealership. they are good cars Best wishes to each. Jonathan

P.S. Please do follow the collective wisdom expressed here,( Including the original thought expressed by our Honda tattoo wearing friend from the Islands. :D :D ) save up and buy a GT/GTI "You won't regret it"

.not to jack this thread BUT.......
I too owne a honda
and I'm a fan because many honda aftermarket parts same era fit our Suzuki cars....JV&S
(my 93 accord)

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:46 pm 

elbola wrote:
BikeAmusPrime wrote:

I had several several of Hondas. But Honda never made a a real competition inspired car like Suzuki Swift gti. The power to weight ratio is unbeatable. Even the Crx si was no where near!. If you want a daily driver to save gas buy a Metro. But if performance is your goal get a GTi.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:51 pm 

elbola wrote:
I used to be a die-hard Gti fan, until I got to drive a bone stock B16-powered Honda SIR hatchback. After that I started reading about what people where doing with those engines and the figures they were getting... I couldn't lie to myself anymore, even the mighty G13B is no match. And that's looking at the best thing the GTi came with, now you have to talk about the rest.
An unbiased research about other hot-hatches out there can only get you to one conclusion: when it comes to performance potential, Suzuki just falls short. I'm a practical man, not a romantic, so I don't fall for the common subjective reasoning that most drivers have for defending their cars... at least not anymore. Right now I want to go as fast and cheap as possible, while still maintaining safety and reliability. I don't care about the make of the car.
HOWEVER, I will NEVER forget when I got to drive the Suzuki swift Gti for the first time after previously owning the 4-door and 2-door SOHC models. I can tell you I was smiling for days, the feeling was just awesome 8)
Columbians eat B16 for a snack. And its still 1.3 litters! Honda has never Made a High output out of 1.3 litters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:37 am 
Teamswift Racer

RP91gt wrote:
Honda never made a a real competition inspired car like Suzuki Swift gti. The power to weight ratio is unbeatable. Even the Crx si was no where near!. If you want a daily driver to save gas buy a Metro. But if performance is your goal get a GTi.

Nonsense, Civic type R and Integra type R... both cars make fantastic race cars out of the box, my gti is a very modified dedicated race car and I have a hard time beating a stock type R civic or teq in both acceleration and under brakes, don't bag a type R until you have driven one.
RP91gt wrote:
Columbians eat B16 for a snack. And its still 1.3 litters! Honda has never Made a High output out of 1.3 litters

More nonsense, Yes Gonzalez is making 400+hp from the g13b but he's about the only one, how many hundreds of people are making more than 400hp from a b16... heaps, fact is 500hp is attainable from a b16 and not with a g13b, capacity, stroke/bore ratio and stroke to rod ratio are some of the reasons.

As far as 1300 cc naturally aspirated engines go then yep, Suzuki is king, thats the only reason I race a swift, best stock engine in it's class, excluding the gti cultus engine at 113bhp which I use, the standard 100bhp is the best, however both Honda City2 and the Diahatsu Charade's were available with 1300cc multi point injection with around 95hp, they might not of been sold in the States but it doesn't mean they didn't make performance 1.3's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:11 am 

so far im doing some tune up stuff. I am pitting the timing at 12deg. New fuel filter, timing belt (and all the related stuff) adjusting lash.

That I actually need help with. I have never had a metro or swift with mechanical lash adjusters. They werr all hydraulic. So if someone could help me find info or help me do it to my car, I would really be stoked. I habe some minor tticking coming from right inside the valve cover. I am really positive it needs proper adjustment, or rebuilding the head. Plus some times at idle I can hear a minor misfire and it idles with a small misfire/sputter.I also hear a little poping sound like it it misfired and came back up the throttle body inside the intake housing.

Anybody able to help look it over with me? I have cash and car audio stuff to barter for your time.

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:23 am 

BAP,

I'm new on here and shocked at the responses you've gotten. Hondas? What? Wrong forum. Buy a GTi/GT? What? You weren't asking if you should buy a certain car -- I believe you were asking for help with a car you already have. I don't know where you're located but I have a 92 with the same motor and would be up for comparing notes -- either here or via PM.

LT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:55 am 

one little secret i do for a bit more power is run premium/super premium gas and crank the timing as far as i can with out any knock. really helps the bottom end. on my auto car i run 18-20. it also gave me better fuel economy as i didn't have to work it as hard to get up to speed.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:14 pm 

I will let you know how they work. I have a cam and advanced cam gear ordered from 3tech!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 pm 

elbola wrote:
I knew you guys would compare the "best" Suzuki to the worst Honda. If you want a performance car, than anything from a B-series engine and up will be better than ANYTHING Suzuki ever made. And don't let me even start talking about gearboxes.
But it doesn't have to be Honda either, there are many other makes out there that offered proper performance hatch-backs. And probably all of them have more options for aftermarket parts. Ever wondered why? That's because swifts are not race-cars and will never be unless you make a substancial investment.
If you want a daily, stick with your Suzuki. If you want a performance-oriented car with potential, then the best cost-benefit option is to sell it and get a better base to start with...

Which generation of b16 are you referring to?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:16 am 

LT7A wrote:
BAP,

I'm new on here and shocked at the responses you've gotten. Hondas? What? Wrong forum. Buy a GTi/GT? What? You weren't asking if you should buy a certain car -- I believe you were asking for help with a car you already have. I don't know where you're located but I have a 92 with the same motor and would be up for comparing notes -- either here or via PM.

LT

Im in north portland off i5. Around interstate st and lombard st.

I have driven many hondas. Had many different cars. There are fine. I jist knock them becuase every body has them. Not many of them look good (imho). The only generation I really like that I can afford with my car budget is the 92-95 civics. They are okay. As long as everybody is modding or tuning up their own car. I dont care what you drive.

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:33 am 

hey mate, I too are looking for more power.
are you going for a mechanical tune setup on your engine, if so you are wanting to do most of the bolt
on up grades that most people do :) .
or their is the more $$$ way of supercharging, weather it's a turbo, supercharger or nos.
it's just not practical to pimp this motor unless you are doing it for a learning exercise, then cost to performance
out put ratio doesn't mater. :)
best of luck :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:48 pm 

Let's dump the B.S :wink: . For starters never mind all the GTi,Gt stuff and who cares here about Honda! (you would be some where else then!!) "right"!.......First of all get a good tune up on your car check compression. It's a good start
with the basics. Open the air via filter . and open the exhaust up. that alone will free up some hp. next if you wish for more on the same motor, go for cams get them here from 3 tech. Its all right to enjoy a sohc valve motor. If that is all you have at this time. search old threads here for sohc cam motors , and you will see the mods they did and it was fun and great. I know we all talk about dohc 1.3 swifts. But reality is that they are not easy to find. and now days not even the regular GS are not getting any easier to find. So its 2015 and we some times talk like if it was 1999.

Last edited by RP91gt on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:44 am 

Amen, i will be auto crossing with my 94 swift, a 4.39 tranmission and a cam for lower rpm will make it fun at the events.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:45 pm 

RP91gt wrote:
Let's dump the B.S :wink: . For starters never mind all the GTi,Gt stuff and who cares here about Honda! (you would be some where else then!!) "right"!.......First of all get a good tune up on your car check compression. It's a good start
with the basics. Open the air via filter . and open the exhaust up. that alone will free up some hp. next if you wish for more on the same motor, go for cams get them here from 3 tech. Its all right to enjoy a sohc valve motor. If that is all you have at this time. search old threads here for sohc cam motors , and you will see the mods they did and it was fun and great. I know we all talk about dohc 1.3 swifts. But reality is that they are not easy to find. and now days not even the regular GS are getting any easier to find either. So its 2015 and we some times talk like if it was 1999.

Im waiting on how some one elses performance cam works in thier sohc. I plan on putting full tune up stuff on it soon. In tje summer possibly rebuild the motor. High compression pistons worth anything along with 1.6 valves?

8mm silicon wires.