TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:01 am 

Is there a thread or a guide for how to adjust the valve lash?

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 am 

6 & 8, same as an MK1, and the process is identical to what has been done for 100 years:

You should have warm and cold settings under the hood.

Is this your first time to adjust valves? If so, this video should be good enough...

Lots of fluff in this young fellows video, so start at 2:30 if you are an intermediate, and 6:30 if you are an advanced mechanic. He's adjusting something a little bit different, but you should get a pretty good idea (and an earfull) by watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

I do agree with one thing he said - 'It's an acquired skill, etc. etc.'
However, it isn't rocket science.

Here's a few tips -

- get your two feeler gauges ready in advance, one for the exhaust and one for the intakes. Unless you are butt poor, two sets of gauges are used.

- pop the valve cover and check for any valves which have clearance. Set them.

- rotate the engine by hand a bit and repeat the above step until all the valves are in spec. Do not worry about his 180 degree advice, just rotate the engine, looking for the valve with excessive slop making the ticking noise at idle. His advice about 'slight drag' is spot on.

Eric the Car guy is talking a lot trying to URGE beginners to do it.

Post a video of your car idling before and after and we should be able to hear the difference.

I have your identical car and have done this several times, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here.

Do your best to clean the valve cover gasket and mating surface so that you won't have oil leaks.

Then boast you can adjust valves on the old cars as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:05 am 

pacapo wrote:
6 & 8, same as an MK1, and the process is identical to what has been done for 100 years:

You should have warm and cold settings under the hood.

Is this your first time to adjust valves? If so, this video should be good enough...

Lots of fluff in this young fellows video, so start at 2:30 if you are an intermediate, and 6:30 if you are an advanced mechanic. He's adjusting something a little bit different, but you should get a pretty good idea (and an earfull) by watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

Sweet thanks man. I am new to valve adjustments. I know its not rocket science. Im sure ill be fine.

I do agree with one thing he said - 'It's an acquired skill, etc. etc.'
However, it isn't rocket science.

Here's a few tips -

- get your two feeler gauges ready in advance, one for the exhaust and one for the intakes. Unless you are butt poor, two sets of gauges are used.

- pop the valve cover and check for any valves which have clearance. Set them.

- rotate the engine by hand a bit and repeat the above step until all the valves are in spec. Do not worry about his 180 degree advice, just rotate the engine, looking for the valve with excessive slop making the ticking noise at idle. His advice about 'slight drag' is spot on.

Eric the Car guy is talking a lot trying to URGE beginners to do it.

Post a video of your car idling before and after and we should be able to hear the difference.

I have your identical car and have done this several times, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here.

Do your best to clean the valve cover gasket and mating surface so that you won't have oil leaks.

Then boast you can adjust valves on the old cars as well.

8mm silicon wires.