TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:25 pm 

I'm getting 50, 75, 50. On compression test. I'm going with its probably rings. As the oil looks fine and the engine runs but shakes a bit. Now my question. Is do I re-ring or just replace the motor? If I replace the motor that gives me a spare motor to tweak on in my spare time. As this car is a daily driver. would like to mod the crap out of a 3 banger. Now I have looked at re-ring kits. And they would be cheaper but would put me out for 2 days. Motor transplant but the same time. Which would be the better option? Also am going to supercharge the 1.0 in the future. Would I need turbo pistons and stronger rods to run say 15 psi? If so could I install them before I boost? Are the pistons the same size? With compression so low something needs to be done soon. Opinions? Thoughts? Insight? Anything is welcome.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:37 pm 

Exhaust valves are burnt and/or sunken into the head and not sealing, thats the cause of you low compression. Quite common. A head rebuild with new exhaust valves will get your numbers up, but you also do need to replace the rings to get a long lasting repair, just a head will make it run nice, but they quickly start consuming oil and quickly burn valves again.
What I would do is get rings, rod bearings, gaskets, timing belt and waterpump if they are older, and three exhaust valves. This is assuming you have the ability and location to do an engine repair. This can be done in a day, although I suspect the first time will take longer, but it's not an awful job regardless.
Your call on whether you want to replace the exhaust valves and clean and lap them in, or have a machine shop do it. Machine shop won't cost a huge amount, and will get the best results but many have done them themselves with great results.
The issue with a used engine is that the valve sealing and oil consumption issues are so common that a good used engine is awfully hard to find, so it often isn't a long term repair, yet costs as much as a ring and head repair does.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:18 am 

cody is bang on there i would just rebuild or get a new engine and rebuild that before you drop it in. its not hard to r & r these engines so if you had one ready to go you could swap it in an afternoon. as for a supercharger it can be done but not with stock rods. I would go with stronger rods/pistons see if someone has some from a turbo engine or find a turbo parts car. that way you have the stronger rods pistons and a forged crank. at the very lease find stronger rods. the stock 1.0's are not that strong and 15 psi would make short work of them. if you wanted to go all out i have been doing some research to get some H-beam rods, vitara pistons. that would be the best way to go but would require boring the block as they are 76mm but would also lower your compression which means you can run more boost and make more power. the rods i think i have found are about $450 and the pistons are $150. i would also invest in some arp main and head studs for the extra strength. so it really comes down to how much you want to spend now and how much you want to spend later.

personal i would just rebuild what you have and find another motor to build as your toy.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:17 pm 

Well. There was a huge exhaust leak. So I would guess valves as well. If I am going to do a head. May as well send one to 3tech and get a nice deep cam and cam gear. His rebuild would be cheaper to do than a newly rebuilt motor. I could always pick up a junkyard head and send it to him for rebuild while I rag out what head I have left. On its return I will do a re-ring when I replace the head. This way I have another head to send off later if I want to do any changes. Like port matching to a header and an intake plenum design I am thinking of. I think they have pistons and rods for turbo metro/fireflys on the ebay. Hmm, so are the turbo pistons the same size as the non-turbo pistons? If so what would be the benefit to doing said piston rod swap on a non-turbo? What makes those pistons better than stock?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:37 pm 

trust me, if your doing the head you will also want to do rings or it will burn more oil then gas. the pistons are more or less the same. might be a slight different comp. but its the turbo rods that are about 3 times stronger then stock rods. and they are full floating not press fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 am 

Well I've been looking around and finding turbo metro connecting rods is coming up short. Now from what I remember the blocks for the G10 are the same. Am I correct here? So turbo sprint (1985-88 G10) block is the same as any run of the mill G10 blocks? aside from the G10B.

So I could say use Chevrolet sprint turbo G10 connecting rods? Or are there another type of connecting Rod I need to be looking for? I mean if I am going to have the head off and do rings etc. May as well do rods as well since I am in there.

Another question about the pistons. I'm seeing piston size (oem) as 74mm and 77mm in stroke. Can I use my non-turbo pistons with the turbo connecting rods? Also is the stroke different with the turbo model than the non-turbo?

In short, is it worth doing the turbo connecting rods now? or waiting till I have everything bolted up for an AMR500 supercharger? I'd like to get another 230,000 out of the engine before another over haul :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:02 pm 

I beleave the blocks are the same. As for the pistons they are different from turbo to non turbo as non turbo have smaller pressed in pins and the turbo have 19mm floating pins so not interchangeable. But the bore and stroke are the same and any turbo rod should work. But I would also try and source the crank as its stronger. If you were not planing on boosting it any time soon I would say just wait and try to find a turbo motor to build. That way you have all the strong parts. Bore it 1mm over, get the 75mm vitara pistons and you will have a good lower compression bottom end perfect for high boost. As for the head I would let 3tech know your future goals and get that head done up now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:43 pm 

Well the plan is around 8-10psi. I feel the motor is too small for 15 or over. Vitara pistons are a long time goal. But if I can get a small amount of boost say from an Amr500. It's finding things I can do now and the money. I am sure the g10 can handle low boost. I did find out that shock pistons are 74mm on 1.3 sohc and also turbo 1.0's. what I am getting at is I don't want to bore the block just yet as that will cost some money. So turbo rods and pistons can be done without a turbo crank? Or is the crank size different? Different stroke? Since finding a turbo crank is difficult these days I may have to wait and source one. I'm buying a rebuilt head. Installing it and sending the old head to 3tech. By then I hope to find a turbo block, bore it, and bolt the rebuilt with cam and amr. For now I will keep it simple. It's starting to look like I am going to have to bench built a spare motor. Lol!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 pm 

Turbo or non turbo the bore and stroke are the same. Crancks are the same but turbo is stronger. Thes little mm otors can take some boost. I run one of mine at 14psi no problem. The other one I'm building right now will run about 20. But your goal around 7 should work for now if you can find some turbo rods/pistons. I know the stock rods can't Handel much more them 5-7 psi before they bend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:30 pm 

And running the turbo pistons will give you the compression ratio you need. With he turbo pistons and 8psi boost you will have about a 13.1 comp ratio. With the stock pistons you would of had a 14.7 ratio at 8 psi which is way to high.

Or here is the math

Final Compression Ratio (FCR) = (Boost / 14.7) + 1) x CR
Boost = Maximum Boost
14.7 = Psi. at Sea Level
CR = Engine Static Compression Ratio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 am 

Thanks for the help! Like I said its looking like my best option is to get a new motor all together at least a turbo short block and run from there. Do any of you know if the 1.3l sohc pistons are floating or pressed in? If so piston side for the 1.3 says they are 74mm as well. Or should I just go with the simple re-ring? It'd be nice to make the lower end beefier.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:58 am 

The sohc is pressed. Only the got dohc got the floating. That's what I would do for now. A simple rering and go. Build a motor to suit your needs

Post subject: Rings n' things
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:10 pm 

I'm looking at basically the same thing. Turbo motor was low in the cylinder psi department. Gonna do a ring/brg/seal. It's good to know about the valves. I'll look out for that.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:45 pm 

If the head is off. Replace the valves. Even I they look good b