TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 pm 

what would be the differences between these? I have option to grab a swift which I like the looks of more so and the added HP would be nice but what other things are better about the swift over the GEO? Thanks for any help :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

there's really not much difference between the 2 cars except the dash configuration.

the swift was available in ga, gl, and gt models. there was the 3 banger, 4 banger sohc 8 valve, and the 4 banger dohc 16 valve available in the us market,

the gt will have 4 wheel disc brakes, a rear screen wiper and washer, driving lights, side skirts and styled front and rear bumpers, recaro designed seats, and better fabrics. the gl will have better brakes, like the vert models, and maybe the rear wiper. the 3 banger swifts were pretty stripped down and most similar to the geo variants.

keep in mind that during those years suzuki variants were based on the sf416 chassis so for the biggest part geo metros and suzuki swifts were pretty much the same except for the trim levels and the styling. the swifts have different hoods, headlights, and upper bumper cover (to go with the headlights.) also keep in mind that since the cars share the same sf416 chassis you can bolt any of the parts (within a group range) on any of the cars.

i have a couple of 91 verts. one i converted to a monster turbo3 car with custom gt suspension and brake parts and another one that was completely converted to a drop top swift gt. the gt-ized vert has so many custom parts, some aftermarket gt parts and some i built expressly for the car, that the car can't even be classified as a geo metro.

your question sort of begs another - what do you want to do with the car? if you want an economy car that drives like a shopping cart, buy the geo. if you want a zippy car that still gets decent fuel economy and handles better, buy the swift. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 pm 

Thanks for the reply and info. Lots of stuff I couldn't find by simple searches. :)

If i end up going the swift route I was hoping to maybe make it a GT clone. I heard people are still getting 40mpg with 100 HP, seems nice on a street legal go cart I must say.

I

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:58 pm 

I had a very nice Metro, it has many Swift parts now and is even better. 70 hp and 40 mpg. The swift will handle and stop better than the metro as built. But as you can see you can mix and match just about any combo you want. If you start with the swift and keep it smog legal you might be able make it a Gt. check with your local CARB official.

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 pm 

Nice swiftro. The carb thing is one factor I did not check. I'm curious if CA smog is harder than NV smog? hmmm :huh:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 pm 

Metro g10 3cyl will burn valves and need rebuilding sooner than g13 4cyl, in all likelihood. The 4cyls were a lot less prone to head problems. Three cylinder will get higher mpg's, 4 cyl has a nice power increase.
After owning many, I don't honestly know what I'd go with given the choice. Mostly depend if I was in a hurry or not! 3cyl head issue isn't a big deal for me, but i think it sure can be a pain for folks who don't have the means to repair their own car.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:27 am 
Suzuki Elder

it's a no brainer for me cody. on the highway my twincam powered cars get 40 mpg and have power to get around road blocking semi trucks.

my 3 banger powered cars would get 42 mpg and passing required strategic planning. :wink:

i have had surprising luck with the reliability of all my suzuki machinery but i do think that the twincam is the winner. a lot of that is like you said, the 3 bangers have valve troubles if you drive them fast for a long time. a twincam will run 80 mph all day and not even miss a lick. 8)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:11 am 

id go with the Swift, Cant deny it but that extra cylinder is fun to drive, I cant stand driving my 3 cylinder anymore, I cant pass anyone on the freeway!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:15 am 

I was being sensitive to all our g10 loving members. Haha. For sure, if twin cam is an option, it's the way to go. It's surprising how close they come to the g10 mileage.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 pm 

if you drive the 1.3 lightly, it can be close to a 1.0......but who drives a 1.3 twincam for fuel mileage? I don't with mine :-P
and like Richard says, the 1.3 has more'' get up and go'' if you need to get out of the way, and better brakes to help you stay out of the way....
I am currently driving a 1.0 n/a sprint, have to wind it up to get it to go, but once moving on the highway it cruises no problem, 65-75 mph, almost 50 mpg ,not trying
my gti at the same speeds, 34-38 mpg, not trying...and it sounds good :twisted: when you wind it up

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:20 pm 

I have owned 3 3cyls now and have to say they are great fuel mizers. Lacking greatly in the hauling ass department. You have to understand when driving them. That you cant just jump out into traffic. If you keep them clean and running tip top. They have power to get you going. Never the less a blast to drive. If you modify a 3 banger with what is available you can squeeze some mor power out of the motor. If you are looking for out of the box power the 1.3 dohc has that for sure. The 1.3 sohc 8v (most common ive found ) has 65 to 75 hp as the g10 has like 45 to 60. 1.3 dohc is around the 100+hp range. As stated above. It all comes down to needs and wants. What do you need it to do and what do you want it to do. These cars with there seemingly infinite parts swapabilty makes them amazing cars. Hell a lot of suzuki parts from other vehicles are interchangeable. Like dash cluster from an mk2 will work in a later model geo tracker! (I know i have one in mine) I made it a point to myself to only buy suzuki cars from now on. They are cheap to buy and reliable. As long as you take good care of them they'll. Out live most things on the road. I personnaly have a place in my heart for these cars and suzuki in general. It saddens me they pulled out of the u.s. i think a lot of people here over looked what great products they make. Its plain to see why they a super popular in japan. Great affordable products that last the test of time. Either way you go. You'll. Be glad you bought a suzuki product.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)