Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: draw thru turbo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am 

hi new here i have a question.the base model 85 thru 88 sprints are carbed correct?couldn't one just do a tastful old school draw thru type turbo. are the one's that are factory turbo( ie chevy sprint turbo)are they fuel injected? all i'm saying is a draw thru turbo would be much cheaper cause the base models are everywhere and the turbo model is well you know elusive.I understand that there are other factors like not running too much boost as to implode the the little motor.i also heard somewhere that the auto trans in these might actually hold up better to boost?also is the sprint base motor the same as whats in a subaru justy?

Post subject: Re: draw thru turbo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the 87-88 mk1 turbo3 models use a way different control set and they are fuel injected, multi-port fuel injected in fact, using 3 main 210 cc injectors as well as a cold start injector for fuel enrichment that is located in the intake manifold plenum. the turbo3 engines are capable of nearly double the power output of the base models which are, indeed carbureted using an electric controlled type carb.

suprf1y built a blow thru type turbo engine that used a dual downdraft weber carb a hundred years ago. =) he'd be the one to answer your questions. :wink:

while it is generally true that an automatic will handle higher torque than a manual transmission, the output from a turbo3 engine is delivered differently with the torque coming up as the turbo develops boost. my mk2 turbo3 cars have always used manual 4.39 ratio transmissions and i have never had any issues. the manual transmission cars are more fun to drive, accelerate quicker, and are better suited to highway driving. i have never seen a turbo3 mated to an automatic transmission. :huh:

1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: Re: draw thru turbo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 am 

An automatic can often handle more power than a manual. I suspect that's because it's wasting so much of it, turning your power into heat instead of acceleration. LOL

Nothing in common with a Subaru Justy other than it looks vaguely similar and both are three cylinders with twelve inch wheels. The Suzuki Maygar factory in Hungary made four cylinder AWD GEN2 Swifts and called them Subaru Justy's from about '95 - '01, but that was Europe only, none of them were sold in North America.

91 Pontiac Firefly Turbo
10 Suzuki Kizashi

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency