TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:05 pm 

Excellent figures. Looks like it still makes power beyond 7000 RPM. Why did they stopped the plot at 7000 ? Is that the max speed the dyno can show ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:35 am 
Sad but True...

Is It a beast to drive?? OHH HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was sitting in the Pass. seat and He let loose and That car Flew!!! It was fun at the Dyno Pull,,watching woodchucks and a screaming Swift :lol: I was kinda thrilled to see a Swift do a pull of 201 Hp.Again Congrats Dave :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:46 pm 

Yeah, dan pretty much nailed it.. It's insane to drive.. still very streetable, although you can't use all the power due to traction issues. Still on the stock tranny and clutch, which starts slipping in 3rd around 3500rpm. We didn't run it past 7k because of the top end leaning problem. I probably could have turned up the boost and ran it a bit harder for more hp, but its perfect where its at now. As far as timing, it's about 11 deg advanced, with the MSD BTM pulling .4 degrees per lb of boost (my btm doesn't have a threshold setting). We tried raising the fuel pressure, but it kept dropping off at the same point, right around 50psi. Boost started building at about 2.8k, hits 10 at 3.8k, then rolls to 12-13psi at 4.5k. I have the sheets of raw data, i'll post them sometime, it gives all the details. Also, i'll post my apexi settings... i was amazed at how much fuel i was taking away at the 3.5k-5.5k range.. at 5.5 im at about negative 12% then my next rpm range, 6k i'm up at +14%, it's not a nice curve like many think it would be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:11 pm 

Well, it's time for a bigger pump. What injectors are you using ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 pm 

I'm surprised at how aggressive the timing is set at with the vitara pistons, that gives me some confidence whilst tuning mine in the near future.
Are you using a knock sensor? I think you mentioned something about one a while ago but can't remember, I have a knock Link sensor hooked up just wondering if you had something similar?
Also what clutch you planning on using? I'm using a 2500lb pressure plate with a standard disc and I can say it definitely gives your leg a good work out. :lol:
Cheers
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:28 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Fuel pump may be an issue, but if he's using 360cc injectors, they're more than likely maxed out at those hp figures. Ours were at 100% duty cycle at 10 psi only. I'm using 440cc supra injectors for 14.5 psi. The only problem is that it make the car horribly rich at idle/low revs. If you try to lean it out, you will fall out of the ECU mapping and it will shut off. I believe 200hp is about the max you can get out of a stock ECU. If the pump ugrade doesn't improve the a/f, then I would suggest you to lower boost at a more decent 10 psi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:48 pm 

So, what's the solution for the wheel spin ?

So far, I can only think of:

1-Launch in 2nd
2-taller final drive
3-wider tyres
4-LSD
5-run a not so aggressive timing at WOT

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:20 pm 

I'm currently using 370cc injectors from mitsu 3000gt vr4. Eventually I would like to try the 440's w/ a standalone. I was going to try to integrate a knock sensor into my setup, but i decided not to. I think eventually i'm going to go with spec, or clutchmasters track only clutch. As for traction issues, this is my drag car, so eventually i would like a either a blanked off awd tranny conversion with lsd, or a custom dogbox, but again, the car is going to sit in its current form for a while, until i come back home to work with it on a constant basis. Wide slicks will be a definite. The car is far from perfect, but right now the motor is exactly where i want it, and i hit all the goals i set for the motor portion of the project. I head back to hawaii tommorow, so back into the garage it goes, and this time, it'll be there for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:43 am 

Jardamuth wrote:
I'm using 440cc supra injectors for 14.5 psi. The only problem is that it make the car horribly rich at idle/low revs. If you try to lean it out, you will fall out of the ECU mapping and it will shut off. I believe 200hp is about the max you can get out of a stock ECU. If the pump ugrade doesn't improve the a/f, then I would suggest you to lower boost at a more decent 10 psi.

Jess, are you still running the stock ECU and just putting up with idling rich or have you gone to standalone?
I have Kyle's stealth injectors which are 370cc I think and the 190lph pump from yourself and i'm hoping to build up to achieve 200hp or more, maybe I will have to go standalone with larger injectors.

Dave, what boost controller you using?

Thanks
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:41 am 

with so much horsepower you are better off with a standalone, because than you can also (fine)tune things like your accleration-, deaccleration-, warm up- enrichement, boost control (pid), flat shift. thus you can dump the maf and use a map sensor with intake temp.

but this is a very good start dave :yeahyeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:34 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

The VR4 injectors are 360cc, not 370.

What's with the traction issue? Good driver should be able to masterize the gas pedal a bit better. There is more than two positions for the throttle.

I still believe you can have a lot of fun with a 180 hp engine @ 10 psi running on stock ECU. People aren't always looking for insane numbers all the time.

Yourself Dave, how much hp were you after when you first started the project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:18 pm 

So what do you guys reccomend for ECU and stand alone when wanting to go above the 200whp range?

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:41 pm 

Any stand alone is suitable for any vehicle from 1 to 100 million HP. Try the megasquirt, and save your wallet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:08 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Or buy a SDS. Expensive but very easy to install and tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:12 am 

Yes, vr4 injectors are 360cc, my mistake.. Don't get me wrong, I'm not flying down the street with the tires smoking, spinning like crazy with the pedal to the floor.. I was just saying in order to utilize all 201.9 ponies, I need major suspension and tranny rework.. Everything on this car is bone stock except for the motor, and not just stock, but old, worn out stock. I can harness the power and the car has incredible pull, but it's far from the potential. As for HP goal, i'll quote my first email to turbine tech on march 6th, 2005.. "225hp" I believe i can reach that with a few minor upgrades, though im not any bit disappointed.

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:23 am 

Excellent work; a real motivator to hunker down and get my DIS-2 installed, and then do some pulls of my own! :) Bravo, Dave!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:38 am 

if your able to pull 201.9hp on a stock block and etc. then i'm going to be severlly dissapointed if i can't get way above that range with my current set up. You did a great job! i'm impressed!!!

As far as a megasquirt, can you use that as a boost controller as well?

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:32 am 

Boost controller, nitrous controller, dual map for nitrous, water injection, 1.21 Giga Watt driver for Dr. Emmet Brown's flux condenser, or even run a Mr. Fusion energy cell.

The only bad thing about the MS, is that not much people know it and therefore you would end up installing and tuning it yourself. Some things are do-it-yourself and require you to open the MS and solder a couple of things inside. Just like the boost solenoid driver, it is an add-on, but anyone with basic electrical/electronics skills can do it. Even myself :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:50 am 

so i'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I'm glad i found this info. out before i spent some cash on the Greddy Profec B for a boost controller. I googled the MS and found some info. but i'm not sure what all accessories i need to have it installed in my car for my set up. Where can I order one from? If anyone wants to help i'd greatly appreciate it!!!!

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:02 am 

I guess Jess will soon be offering the MS with my custom code for G13B and all the necessary mods.

Anyway, everything you need to know is here http://www.megasquirt.info/

And here http://www.megasquirt.info/MS%20FAQ.htm#order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:27 pm 

sorry to be so aggervating i've just never delt with this systme before. I read all the faqs and etc. i'm still not sure on what to buy and etc. I'm going to try and order one pre-built. If anyone wants to go in dept with what i need it'd be GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks alot guys!

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:23 pm 

I have developed, or actually tweaked a code for the Megasquirt I. Buy the Megasquirt I with V3 board.

The Megasquirt II is newer and has more potential, but for now, the MS II code is not as flexible as the MSnS-E code available for MS I. No custom code for MS II yet, maybe by the end of this year.

It's your choice. I would buy the MS I with V3 board.

Anyway, I would look for MS tuners in your area before buying one. Unless you think you're skilled enough to do it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:08 pm 

The block is stock except for the cylinder bore to fit the vitara chunks.. Also, i went ahead and had everything balanced and blueprinted. Here's the weights they ended up with. Nothing was really lightened, i believe the took the lightest one of each component and adjusted the others accordingly..
At the least, its a good reference for those wondering what the internals weighed..
As for Megasquirt, I can't wait until i can start playing around with that.. it looks like an awesome setup, and you've done some nice work with it Caarlo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:53 pm 

Very good result. :D Can I ask what kind of cams did you use :?:
A stock cam gives max torque @ 4100RPM. :ez_tongue:

Not bad using a standard ECU and a piggy back. Keep on doing the good work.:salute:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 pm 

Remember that the intake pressure is not constant at WOT like on a NA engine, maybe his engine is below full boost at those RPM (4100), producing more torque at 6000-7000 on full boost than at 4000-5000 RPM at lower boost levels, regardless of the cam profile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next