TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:41 am 

Jardamuth wrote:
dug wrote:
i no this has prob already been asked but wot is a knock sensor. i remember sum1 sayin the cultus has 1 but wot are they for?

dug

Dug, This is a forum, not MSN. The use of acceptable english is required.

Thanks

Thank you Jard, it's nice to know I'm not alone here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:48 am 

sorry guys. im just used to txtin etc. its hard to get out of the habbit. hehe

thatnks R.I.B. are these that important or should i not bother, as im curious why the cultus has one and our swifts dont

cheers
dug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:15 pm 

Well, still making progress here. The intercooler and piping is mounted for the most part, I feel it came out pretty good. Only a few more odds and ends, and the car should be road-worthy. I have my tuning electonics on the way, so i might be playing with them this weekend. My ghetto gauge cluster is coming togeather as well. Here are a few pics.

As usual, comments and concerns welcome.

Thanks,

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:46 am 

Looking superb mate! I bet you can't wait, I know I couldn't. Just make sure you've checked everything over and over, you don't want anything to go wrong.
Might be just because I can't see the piping on the intake, but have you decided what your doing about your cold idle valve? I had to plumb it back into the charge pipe before the throttle body.
One more thing i'll check you've done, have you installed a restrictor before the oil feed in on the turbo?
BTW, you still need to get rid of them jubilee clips on the hoses ;)
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:49 am 

Thanks Phil.. Yes The turbo oil restrictor is there. As for the cold idle valve, it's blanked off. And jubilee clips? You mean the worm gear clamps? I'll be replacing those with T-bolt clamps eventually. Thanks phil, i'll keep you updated.

db

Post subject: nice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:16 am 

who done those nice 2inc (?) for you. 8) .
by the way you have done a damm good job.

Post subject: Re: nice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:24 am 

hotboy183 wrote:
who done those nice 2inc (?) for you. 8) .
by the way you have done a damm good job.

Thanks for the compliment..although i'm not quite sure what your asking about...

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm 

sorry for thinking that you would understand when their are so meney pipes :oops: .
i was talking about the intercooler and intake pipes. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:10 pm 

Damn nice when the cooler is mounted, bring us another vid when you can make it road worthy :)

i hope your cluster will look better when finished :oops:

dont you need the air vents ? guess not in CA

Suzuki Swift GTi ´90 (Sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:19 pm 

Ah, ok hotboy.. The pipe and intercooler were done by Turbine Tech. I'm pretty impressed considering the tolerances needed for the proper fit, and the fact that it was done without having my car available for fitment. Although i had jess pulling is hair out.. (oops, nevermind) during the whole process, it was much appreciated.

As for the airvents and such.. This isn't a daily driver, it's being built for drag racing, so i didn't find them necessary. Not to mention, the temp here in san diego rarely wonders far from 65 degrees. Although it looks like i may be roadtripping it back to nebraska if it's in the proper condition, so that might be a cold ride.

db

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:30 pm 

man if you get that finished up sometime soon maybe i'll head down from LA in my turbo talon and we'll race :-P or i can bring the geo just to make me jealous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:06 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

You're definitively doing a great job Dave. Keep up the good work.

I'm pretty sure there will be no more update from this setup after the car will be fired up with everything in place. You will no longer be able to spend anymore time on the computer.

:ez_wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:44 am 

db wrote:
Thanks Phil.. Yes The turbo oil restrictor is there. As for the cold idle valve, it's blanked off. And jubilee clips? You mean the worm gear clamps? I'll be replacing those with T-bolt clamps eventually. Thanks phil, i'll keep you updated.

db

No problem dave, just trying to help with some suggestions as I know when I was in your position I valued everyones input highly.

If you get any idle problems with cold starts it may be because your cold idle valve is blocked off, (the one at the rear of the intake which lets air bypass the throttle body to higher the idle when the car is cold). Yet if you don't get cold weather there it may not be a problem.
The Worm gear clamps are called jubilee clips here, don't know why though, gear clamps sounds a more logical name. I still think you have a slight chance of pushing oil out the hoses with any type of little clamps, let me know if the T-Bolt clamps work well after some prolonged highway driving. I'm actually having some special hoses made up with pressed on connectors for my new engine build up.
ATM i'm driving around in a 1.3 fiesta that barely has enough power to finish 2nd gear up a slight incline and shakes to death if you manage to get it to 70mph lol. Suppose I can't complain for free whilst i'm building my baby back up :D

Also, are you going to spray them very nice looking charge pipes? :D
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:08 am 

It was a successful break in this weekend. I worked on it all day friday until about 1am saturday morning to have it ready for the so-cal meet. It rolled out of the garage at 7am on saturday and made the 400 mile roundtrip without a catch. (including 1.5 hours of standstill LA traffic) Its currently running 5 psi on the stock wastegate, which makes it very streetable. It pulls well at 3k rpm and up, although i haven't pulled it past 5.5k yet. I'm still on the stock clutch and fuel pump, so i'm trying to keep it reasonable. I'm hoping to have my wideband and boost controller within the next couple weeks, then hopefully i can score some dyno time.

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:49 am 

Well, I drove the swift back to nebraska. 1800 miles in 36 hours without a single problem. It was actually a great chance to tune it. Averaged 30mpg and i couldn't be happier....except the part about leaving it here while i move to hawaii. Hopefully i'll save enough to have it shipped out before the summer rolls around. I'm still trying to get some video footage before i leave. i'll keep in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:27 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Dave, I thought you were allowed to bring one car with you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:02 pm 

I am, but they will only ship a car that is registered. I didn't have time to register it, i'm still trying to work some title issues out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:28 pm 

Here are a few inside videos of the swift. The quality is pretty bad, but its all i have for now.

http://www.davebaxterjr.com/inside1.AVI
0-80 on 10psi

http://www.davebaxterjr.com/inside2.AVI
15-65 on 10psi

http://www.davebaxterjr.com/inside3.AVI
shot of the boost gauge while doing a quick run at about 80% throttle. The beginning of the yellow shading is 10psi. Crappy quality.

http://www.davebaxterjr.com/inside4.AVI
Another run from about 15mph, little more traction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:01 am 

I'm home for a week and i got the chance to snap a vid of the gt at idle. Turn your speakers up, the sound quality is pretty good (hear that sucker rattle), sucky video though.I'm looking for some dyno time this week, so i can do some more tuning. Dan, Ej's was all booked up this week, which is too bad, he seems like a really cool guy, with a hell of a shop. Looks like i'll be heading to sublime, either tues or weds, i havent called them yet.

http://www.davebaxterjr.com/idle1.wmv

the young lad at the end of the feature is my brother dan (bax311)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:12 pm 

MMMMMM that sounds nice and lumpy! How is it driving?

Currently driving a 1996 Geo Metro 1.0L
Mods coming...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:55 pm 

I got the swift on the dyno today.. Ended up making 201.8whp/155 ft/lbs torque max on 12psi. Here's the sheet of the final run, and compilation vid.

http://www.davebaxterjr.com/dyno.wmv

On the first run, it made 175whp with my prior self-tuning. A/F was all over the place.. started good at about 12.3:1 at 3k, then dipping 10:1 at 5k until about 6k, then leaned out to about 12.8 @7k.. On the final of about 6 runs, we had it fairly steady at 12.2:1, leaning out a bit to 12.8:1. I went in expecting a max of around 170-180. I'm still on the stock fuel pump, which i feel was the cause of the leaning towards the end of all the runs. I'm happy where it is now, I'll get to play with the suspension and everything else next time i come home.

db

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:41 pm 

Thats a very good result dave! But I personally think that 12.8:1 is way too lean for a boosted engine at WOT, I though it would atleast be 12:1 or at an even safer 11.5:1 especially in the high revs. But i'm no tuner, so I could be wrong.
Damn good power though, I bet thats a beast to drive, I hope I can get similar results at 12psi when I iron out my problems on my new engine and run it in.
Cheers
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:06 pm 

a very nice result, great job! is it still able to drive with so much power?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:29 pm 

i have a habbit of asking all the high out put guys what transmission set up thier using. so.... what are you using for a transmission set up?

Great numbers though! i'll find out my final HP numbers in about 2 weeks!

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Not a bad performance from the Mitsubishi 14T turbo. :wink: You can now see the real benefits of a integrated BOV. If you were external, the car would stall all the time.

What is your boost threshold with it?

I know the fuel pump may be a problem but I think you should try to richen out the lean spot on the top end by rising the fuel pressure a little bit and then, lean out the rest with the apexi.

What are your timing settings?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next