TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:40 pm 

I have finally manage to install 99% of my turbo setup. Only missing BOV.
I decided to start to engine and see how it would run. But i see no boost on the gauge. :(
The only time i have seen boost is when I blow into the boost hose and see needle move a bit...

Engine runs strong IMO. it's a standard GTi engine ('96) never been rebuild. Only mods are 210/340 cams, cultus intake manifold, 50mm tb and underdrive pulley.

I have tested the engine with chipped ecu, stock ecu, I checked the wastegate to make sure it's closed, checked intercooler for leak, tighten everything up, still no boost. I can hear the turbo at around 2.5k rpm start to spool. at 3k rpm to 3.5k rpm the turbo whistle's very loud (and sounds pretty nice actually). I'm running it at the moment without a downpipe.

Also at first start up I noticed oil leakage at various points and smoke / oil coming from the exhaust side of the turbo. I had to reroute the return on the oilpan because it was too low. Also made some changes to the oil feed line. The first banjo bolt i had installed has an opening of 4mm. I changed that for one with an opening of around 1.8mm. After this still smoke and oil from the exhaust side of the turbo. Then I decided to make some changes on the oil catch can hoses. First I had two hoses coming from the valve cover that goes to the oil catch can. PCV valve is still used. And from the oil catch can I have a hose with a breather filter. Then i changed to breather hose back into the intake manifold. (obviously) still no boost but the smoke and oil from the exhaust side of the turbo is gone. No oil or smoke whatsoever on the exhaust side of the turbo anymore. But still no boost. Also no leakage anymore at the return line.

What am I missing? :( :huh:
Sorry for all this. I'm new to all this turbo stuff. Kind of a dissapointment after all this work and i can't see boost.

Here are pics of my setup.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:56 pm 

is this plugged?
also where you have the catch-can are the cold air valve holes covered?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 210.93 KIB | Viewed 4249 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:48 am 

crnolic wrote:
is this plugged?
also where you have the catch-can are the cold air valve holes covered?

Yes it's plugged with a rubbwr cap.
The catch can is inside the car, under dash.

The cold air valve is just after the tb behind the manifold right? Yes that hole is covered.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 pm 

Breather (manifold side) still connected like this? boost is blowing straight out to catchcan.

Do you have a smoke machine? hook it up to blow smoke into your intake, see if there's a leak. Dont let engine run :wink:

If there is no leak, disconnect wastegate hose, plug it, and use a vacuum pump to keep wastegate shut, it should boost infinitely, watch out trying this :lol:

Use something like this that you can switch to vacuum/pressure:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:11 pm 

Devil-GTi wrote:

Breather (manifold side) still connected like this? boost is blowing straight out to catchcan.

Do you have a smoke machine? hook it up to blow smoke into your intake, see if there's a leak. Dont let engine run :wink:

If there is no leak, disconnect wastegate hose, plug it, and use a vacuum pump to keep wastegate shut, it should boost infinitely, watch out trying this :lol:

Use something like this that you can switch to vacuum/pressure:

I know. That's why I used the word "obviously" in my first post. :wink:
But with the hose hooked like that, turbo won't smoke.

I don't have a smoke machine. I'll try and have it started and spray carburator cleaner at the manifold to see if I notice any kind of changes while the engine is running.

2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:12 pm 

If there isn't any boost, could the turbo just be bad?

2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 pm 

Quote:
I don't have a smoke machine

Can you get a your hands on a nice, fat, stinky cigar?

Best excuse to start smoking ever =), and yes this does work, just puff smoke into a vacuum hose connected to the intake. Massive boost leaks usually = lots of whooshing and whining noise...

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 pm 

Teeth wrote:
Quote:
I don't have a smoke machine

Can you get a your hands on a nice, fat, stinky cigar?

Best excuse to start smoking ever =), and yes this does work, just puff smoke into a vacuum hose connected to the intake. Massive boost leaks usually = lots of whooshing and whining noise...

I might try this this weekend.

2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:41 pm 

Are you driving it or just free reving?

Turbos have to have a load to make boost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:24 pm 

Joe Dirt wrote:
Are you driving it or just free reving?

Turbos have to have a load to make boost

I'm actually pretty embarrassed to say that it was free revving... :( I have no previous experience with turbo and the funny thing was that I actually asked a couple of friends with turbo GTi's and they didn't knew. :lol:
But the situation led me to look for possible leaks and I actually found a big one. :shock:

Got that fixed now with belzona (amazing stuff), and it's as smooth as new again.

2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm 

JB WELD or any epoxy weld would do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:58 pm 

Caaarlo wrote:
JB WELD or any epoxy weld would do the trick.

Thanks for the tip Caaarlo. I'll keep that in mind next time I need to fix some metal.

2003-EVO7 GT-A