TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
So here's what happened to my project. My Red Swift is been sitting since it blew head gasket, its been there for 2 years now sadly. I ended up building the daily driver (white) swift and had fucked up the timing while using nitrous, so there goes another engine. So this is the 3rd time now, another vitara rebuild, no turbo though. i bought myself a fiat marea turbo for that and making the swift my daily driver.

WHy the low comp? Well, I had the parts anyway, was better than building stock back in, i actually dont mind the low compression and barely feel the diff to be honest.

I cleaned up the car up, brought it back to a shiny state and here are overall pics of the latest build and a couple videos. Note that the gearbox is kinda messed up and the hardcore clutch im using doesnt help the gears go in properly, especially number 3 if im revvin the shit out 2nd. Now for your viewing pleasure:

Image
Image
Image

Lata 100% nunca batido, duvido mais inteiro.

Fotos da Montagem do Motor:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image




A bit out of the swift world nowadays since I got my fiat on boost. Dont really want to ruin the A/C on this car, so maybe ill transplant this engine later to my red swift since its gutted anyway, but right now no cash for anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Breda, Netherlands
Shame about the red Swift... Was that headlight with the air-intake custom made?
The white Swift looks pretty though :thumbsup:

I hope you do intend to fix the red one, some day?

Any pics of the Fiat? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 326
Location: Barbados
Exhaust note sounds nice is hell, what makes up your exhaust?

I'm having the same gbox problem your having, very hard to find third..

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
DGR wrote:
Shame about the red Swift... Was that headlight with the air-intake custom made?
The white Swift looks pretty though :thumbsup:

I hope you do intend to fix the red one, some day?

Any pics of the Fiat? :)


thanks buddy, the headlight intake was custom made yes, it was the optimum place I could find for the stock position of single tb setup. On the white one you can see the intake moved to the bumper, thou I'm assuming because of the many bends and flexible tube used to get there I never found any gains out of it on the track.

The red swift is indeed a shame, I intend to build it someday, just notright now as I'm real short on cash. I carry special feelings for that car, I don't think I'll be able to let go.

Pics of the fiat sure I'll post that later when I'm off work. It's a fiat marea sedan 5cyl turbo forged motor and gt3582r turbo. Handles like shit compared to the swift but acceleration is awesome!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
DeTune wrote:
Exhaust note sounds nice is hell, what makes up your exhaust?

I'm having the same gbox problem your having, very hard to find third..


exhaust on video is composed by suzukird 4x1 headers and 2" exhaust w/ only 1 large muffler in the middle. Of course the sport air filter helps too. On the street I use 1 additional muffler on the rear, which at the track I replace with the straight pipe.

I don't really have a problem finding 3rd gear, my gearbox is shot and my clutch doesn't help. It's homebrew custom made with a fiat pressure plate and a custom ceramic disc 4 pads unsprung.

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 326
Location: Barbados
DGR wrote:
Shame about the red Swift... Was that headlight with the air-intake custom made?
The white Swift looks pretty though :thumbsup:

I hope you do intend to fix the red one, some day?

Any pics of the Fiat? :)


How is the flex pipe routed?

I had a similar idea in my head for air to the air filter...I was thinking from bumper down between bottom right side of the condenser and up next to the timing cover then to the air filter area

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
DeTune wrote:
DGR wrote:
Shame about the red Swift... Was that headlight with the air-intake custom made?
The white Swift looks pretty though :thumbsup:

I hope you do intend to fix the red one, some day?

Any pics of the Fiat? :)


How is the flex pipe routed?

I had a similar idea in my head for air to the air filter...I was thinking from bumper down between bottom right side of the condenser and up next to the timing cover then to the air filter area


If you're going to use an airfilter, I suggest using some type of box to allow the fresh air in and stay in there for the air filter, otherwise u just going to get hot air. I used to have this in the red swift:
Image

I used a custom aluminium pipe to get the TB to this box, was a bit of a pain to do but it kinda worked good, specially with the box well sealed.

In the White one the Intake goes directly to the throttle body, when I use it I simply unplug normal intake rubber pipe and dont use air filter. I do this at the track only. Doesn't make shit of a difference though, I wish I hadn't spent time doing that intake in my bumper. Unperceptible gains, the route has too many bends, its not very effective. Noticed no difference in track time. The headlight one went straight through with no bends, seemed more effective, though never had the chance to measure any difference if it existed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 326
Location: Barbados
Ricardo wrote:
DeTune wrote:
DGR wrote:
Shame about the red Swift... Was that headlight with the air-intake custom made?
The white Swift looks pretty though :thumbsup:

I hope you do intend to fix the red one, some day?

Any pics of the Fiat? :)


How is the flex pipe routed?

I had a similar idea in my head for air to the air filter...I was thinking from bumper down between bottom right side of the condenser and up next to the timing cover then to the air filter area


If you're going to use an airfilter, I suggest using some type of box to allow the fresh air in and stay in there for the air filter, otherwise u just going to get hot air. I used to have this in the red swift:
Image

I used a custom aluminium pipe to get the TB to this box, was a bit of a pain to do but it kinda worked good, specially with the box well sealed.

In the White one the Intake goes directly to the throttle body, when I use it I simply unplug normal intake rubber pipe and dont use air filter. I do this at the track only. Doesn't make shit of a difference though, I wish I hadn't spent time doing that intake in my bumper. Unperceptible gains, the route has too many bends, its not very effective. Noticed no difference in track time. The headlight one went straight through with no bends, seemed more effective, though never had the chance to measure any difference if it existed.


Well then I guess what I have in mind wouldn't work with soo many bends either....Problem with the red car setup is the headlight is custom and isn't an off shelf product..........or is it?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
DeTune wrote:
Well then I guess what I have in mind wouldn't work with soo many bends either....Problem with the red car setup is the headlight is custom and isn't an off shelf product..........or is it?


It's custom, we made it out using a stock headlight as base, then designed the intake hole with a small salience on the left to force air in instead of just passing through. Was supposed to get it custom paint to look like a real headlight, matching the other, but I never finished that. If you want the whole kit I can sell it for you, I don't think I'm gonna use it anymore as the red probably going to be a turbo setup when I finish. Meanwhile it's just sitting there and I need money.

I can sell it to you the headlight with the paint job done to give a nice finish so it looks like a real headlight. I can also sell the airbox which isolates the filter/intake from heat, the actual light that we used to make it iluminate and the aluminium pipe that we used to get there. Minor modifications are needed to get everything into the right place.

Make your proposition if you are interested. If you want just the headlight, that's good as well. I'll try to bring it up some pics up to date, just have to go to the storage where the car is located. Let me know if you have interest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 326
Location: Barbados
Well thanks for the sale but I'm not sure what direction I'm going in as yet engine wise so I don't want to start buying anything until I know where I'm going with the project.....

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
DGR wrote:
Shame about the red Swift... Was that headlight with the air-intake custom made?
The white Swift looks pretty though :thumbsup:

I hope you do intend to fix the red one, some day?

Any pics of the Fiat? :)


Never showed any pics... well, here's a video :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Breda, Netherlands
OMG :shock: Never knew those cars had such potential! Great work!
Stage 2 should be even more fun by the looks of it :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
Yeah, they got the fiat coupe turbo engine here in Brazil. Good ass motors... sucks that its fwd thou.

tested top speed in my swift with the deep dish vitara pistons:



Not too bad for low comp huh? Guess the mods made up for the deep dish pistons. Someday when I get the money i'll slap a turbo on that bitch :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Breda, Netherlands
My stock GTi wouldn't even hit 190kmh :lol: ...so yeah, that's pretty good for a low comp. engine :D

Btw, what's the reliability like with those Fiat engines? I found out that they're pretty inexpensive here... usually that indicates they're expensive to maintain :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Posts: 246
DGR wrote:
My stock GTi wouldn't even hit 190kmh :lol: ...so yeah, that's pretty good for a low comp. engine :D

Btw, what's the reliability like with those Fiat engines? I found out that they're pretty inexpensive here... usually that indicates they're expensive to maintain :wink:


Exactly, they are expensive as fuck to maintain. If you treat them well, they should be reliable though.

I just bought timing belt, 2 tensors, hidraulic actuator and water reservoir, only that costed me about 700 dollars.

Forged pistons and rods are cheaper than suzuki's though coz we have em built in brazil and argentina, so to build strong motor doesnt cost much. Of course there are tricky parts such as the clutch which is totally custom, the LSD and the pin we changed inside the differential (stock one wears out quick) and few other details.

I ran 13000km with it and only damage was a broken gearbox and 2 sets of front brake pads (lol). Aside from regular maintenance, had a leak in my fuel rail we soddered and couple other shit i cant remember.

Gearbox, the 5spd is the best, more reliable than the 6spd that came in the coupe. Strong ass parts, but u need to still take it carefully. Properly driven should take up to 500whp with the reinforced differential pin.

Now I'm going big with a lot of structural mods, PU everywhere, shocks, srpings, bars n shit. Of course the 150lbh injectors are coming too to turn that boost up :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Breda, Netherlands
Ricardo wrote:
Now I'm going big with a lot of structural mods, PU everywhere, shocks, srpings, bars n shit. Of course the 150lbh injectors are coming too to turn that boost up :)


Keep us updated! That Fiat would make for an awesome sleeper 8)
I'm thinking semi-slick tires on steelies with hubcaps :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group