TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am 

What to do when a car repair shop do unauthorized repairs to your car and will not release it? I have been with out my car for more than 2.5 months the repair shop keep doing a miss and miss, cause to call it a hit and miss would be lying. To this day the car is not running. Now to release my car it will cost me over $600 for repairs I didn't tell them to make on my car. Since I have a new car I really don't care if it sits there for a lifetime, but can they sale my car parts without having title to the car? And I am responsible for the repair cost that I didn't authorized them to do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 am 

In California the Bar B/of automotive repair is a state run office to help the consumer, other than California you have the Better Business to deal with and any repair not authorized you dont have to pay for, and you need a writen inv with a est.....................Scott :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 am 

When you went into the shop they need a inv with a description of repairs and est of cost and your information and a release for auth work , other than that they have to contact you for a verbal ok to do any other work and if they didnt you dont have to pay.............................Scott :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:55 am 

2.5 months, arnt u abit late for asking for car release. Shouldnt you have investigated right away. Wasn't there like a written or verabl contract of time to complete repairs and costs involved.

If you haven't been informed by any means, you are not obliged to pay for anything not discussed and approved by you. Its a simple case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:22 am 

its been pretty well covered.

when you dropped the car off you authorized xx amount. anything over this amount (parts and labor) will need to be authorized by you. if not authorized youre only responsible for the initial agreed amount. any parts they installed on the car will either have to be given to you no charge or removed and your original parts reinstalled.

if they no longer have your original parts they screwed up and will have to eat it.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 am 

Thanks for info

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm 

VR4 wrote:
... anything over this amount (parts and labor) will need to be authorized by you. in writing if not authorized youre only responsible for the initial agreed amount. any parts they installed on the car will either have to be given to you no charge or removed and your original parts reinstalled.

if they no longer have your original parts they screwed up and will have to eat it.

You point out on your written estimate, what you agreed to pay for. If they have done that and the car doesnt run, you still need to pay them for the work you agreed to pay for. If they have done more that what you agreed to pay for in writting and dont want to release the car, I would immediately contact an attorney before saying anything else to that place.

Technically, there is a thing called a mechanic's lein that they can put in place. This means that you would not be allowed to receive, drive, register, sell or even touch that car until you pay them and they release the lein. If you fail to pay them after they place the lein, they can file paperwork to have the title transfered over to their name and do anything they want with the car at that point.

I know this, because I used to own a small window tinting company that specialized in high end customs and exotic cars. I would often borrow client cars for local car shows for advertising. One client was this big 4x4 shop that made these huge monster vehicles. The nephew of the owner of the shop did some shady shit behind his uncles back and had his F150 all tricked out like a low rider! lol. full air suspension, crazy paint, big wheels, sound system...the works! He had the employees of his uncle's shop do all the work and didn't want his uncle to discover the payroll. So, he knew I had a show coming up and offered the lowered truck to me to put in the show as well as 2 or 3 of the typical giant monster trucks. I took all the vehicles and stored them in my werehouse for a week before the show. Took all 3 vehicles to the show for the weekend. After the weekend, a big truck arrived to trailer the vehicles to the 4x4 shop. As the car hauler leaves, I looked in my parking lot and saw the lowered truck still in my parking lot. I called the nephew, he said that he can't take the truck back because the uncle would discover what he had done! I told I wold give him a week to get the truck and then I would charge him for vehicle storage. ... 4 months later and tons of phone calls to him and the uncle. The uncle says he fired the nephew and wants nothing to do with the truck. The nephew couldnt pay for the storage...I got the lein, got the title and sold it for $7000!

I wasn't trying to be a dick but there are laws to protect shops.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:16 am 

Changing the authority of the shop can be a signal, generally reputed centers' owner tries to keep their authority as much as possible...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:03 pm 

rick-fle wrote:
Thanks for info

:huh:

Quote:
What to do when a car repair shop do unauthorized repairs to your car and will not release it?

If this is the situation and you are not getting any solution from that car repair shop authority, you should call the police straight away. You are not bound to pay them those $600 because you did not tell them to make those repair.