TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:54 am 

RtsBlwn, keep up the good posts. I think most of us like reading about your home crafted project. Guy's like you make the forum an interesting visit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:57 pm 

Agreed.
We need more low buck DIY projects on this forum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:12 pm 

im lazy, its hot, and im out of shielding gas untill payday. you can see where im going with my handlebar strut brace...it will be triangulated to the firewall. protaper carmichael bend haha. they are tough as hell. light too. gonna whip out the strut portion of bar brackets tommorrow from some 1/4" mild steel. the handle bar was free.

i modded the wheel hub because i couldnt source a pn from grant for a adapter...turned out real nice. i likey. i also didnt feel like playing the crossreference pn game. new dash mat too!

Attachments:
swift interior 001 (Small).jpg
swift interior 001 (Small).jpg [ 44.77 KIB | Viewed 6749 times ]
swift interior 004 (Small).jpg
swift interior 004 (Small).jpg [ 54.2 KIB | Viewed 6749 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:20 pm 

Good idea. The way I bend bars, I should recycle them as braces, and make my money back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm 

since i had to fish long and hard for tach/coil wire info, to come to the conclusion i did for my '97; i figured id point out that the tach signal wire at the coil is the brown/white wire. works fine. for those interested in tach wiring-- under the hood style....

I also failed to mention that i locked out my distributor by jumping the pins on the connector, and just leaving them jumped permenently. base timing is now also total timing...roots chargers dont really need much in the way of a timing curve as things happen instantly. im at 15* currently with room to play..

just fyi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:00 pm 

This morning i left to work in the cool air (7am=75*F) . upon arrival, i popped the hood just for a gander..and for the first time, i noticed an interesting phenomena first hand...frost and condensation on my intake elbow after a 20 mile one way commute and driving like a dick most of the way(65 in traffic with a couple wot pulls)..so then i placed my hand over the charger, and to my amusement..it was cold to the touch immediately after shutting the motor down..something i have never experianced with gas...im assuming that thermodynamic efficiancy has got to be pretty close to 100% with ethanol vapor being drawn through the blower..

gasoline blows..haha..im really liking this e85...1750miles so far in some seriously gruling summer heat..so far all is dandy. hell i daily drive mine on the same roads detroit's big 3 use to test their camoflaged factory test vehichles..

heres the best i could capture using my phone...just looks wet but this is significant...wait till winter...more timing, lean it out a bit..a dyno session is in the works in the next couple weeks.

Attachments:
condensation (Small).jpg
condensation (Small).jpg [ 47.86 KIB | Viewed 6598 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 am 

I'm just loving that you just called 7am 75* temps COOL :shock:

I can't wait to see some in car video pulls, and maybe a timeslip or 2.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:34 pm 

ive been pretty lazy untill today..im just burnt out on summer out here. i need a/c in my garage!

anyway...heres the start of my 40$ big brake upgrade...: late 90's nissan altima front rotors which are roughly the same thickness as suzuki vented stuff, but are way bigger..damn near 11"..just a hair under in fact. and some 99 civic calipers and brackets..im thinking this will be as big as i can fit within my wheels. offset is pretty close. close enough anyway..

i had test fitted most of this crap on a metro in the jy and judging from my eyeball..its a go.
none of that fufu slotted rotor crap for me..7.50$ each for these brand new race pieces haha

it will get braided hoses, ebc greens, and some high temp oil. the additional leverage should aid stopping without adding a whole bunch of weight. im not too concerned with bias or peddle travel quite yet. im betting all will be gravy.extra diam should aid in cooling also..

i have lots of fab work in order....brakes, bracing..i need to get out in the garage and off the cornputer. heres some pics for ya.

Attachments:
big brakes 001 (Small).jpg
big brakes 001 (Small).jpg [ 46.29 KIB | Viewed 6515 times ]
big brakes 002 (Small).jpg
big brakes 002 (Small).jpg [ 29.89 KIB | Viewed 6514 times ]
big brakes 003 (Small).jpg
big brakes 003 (Small).jpg [ 33.08 KIB | Viewed 6518 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:33 pm 

im havin a hell of a time sourcing a adapter or cable to go from mini dvi -which i have good quality video on- to usb...my laptop is not firewire ready.

anyway heres some walk around footage after a grocery run this am...from my digi still cam, so audio sucks bad as does video quality..too bad the exhaust note doesnt come through.. just sounds like valvetrain clatter..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjowHtO4CbQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am 

Pinnacle makes a video capture box that offers a Firewire input.

I'm guessing though since you mention you have Mini-DVI, that you have a MacBook ecspecially if it has no firewire... To use the Pinnacle box, you'll have to boot camp the system and install Windows 7.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 pm 

AEM brake pads for my civic calipers on their way..they were n.o.s. items from a closing shop...12.50 shipped. good old ebay.

Attachments:
37868155_125.jpg
37868155_125.jpg [ 3.11 KIB | Viewed 6404 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:20 pm 

This might be a stupid question but from what im told from a cobra guy i know he was saying you can run meth through the blowers because they corode them and ruin the rotors after so use. Do you know if that is the case because the alcohol would be the same case??? I know the old roots styles did but i didnt know if something changed with the newwer screw types. This is just what he told me and didnt know if you knew if there was any trueth to it.Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 pm 

methanol= corrosive/ water trapping nastyness.
ethanol= gentle cousin, with gas already blended in. no aluminum corrosion, rubber swelling, none of that.

the rotors are a powdercoated finish and are not teflon anything. eatons have proven successful in draw through carbed apps as it is already sealed and prepared for vaccume conditions (post the throttle bodys) in all oem applications. bearing wear is questionable but 2 cycles run crank roller bearings in fuel heavy conditions without problem..so i dunno. im not really concerned..there are many meth/ h20/ n20 combos out there with eatons and no problems...i think those with problems are often the loudest and you dont hear much from the majority out there havin a good time!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:09 am 

Ok thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:10 am 

suprf1y wrote:
I've looked at that blower, but I seem to remember that there was something goofy about it. I don't remember what.

The one I have is fed by engine oil, and has a strange blower bypass valve on it. Who wants to see me put it on a T3? :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:00 pm 

I do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:44 pm 

me too. its probably a ihi twin screw....like from a mazda millercycle engine from a millenia. my friend is putting one on a 22re pickup. i dont know much about them other than they are notorious for seal issues. i say go for it. i have a intercooler for one. they would make a good t upgrade cooler. nice cores.

Attachments:
ebay2010 001 (Small).jpg
ebay2010 001 (Small).jpg [ 42.23 KIB | Viewed 6288 times ]
ebay2010 002 (Small).jpg
ebay2010 002 (Small).jpg [ 42.17 KIB | Viewed 6285 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:44 pm 

miniman82 wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
I've looked at that blower, but I seem to remember that there was something goofy about it. I don't remember what.

The one I have is fed by engine oil, and has a strange blower bypass valve on it. Who wants to see me put it on a T3? :twisted:

You've got my vote! ...start fabricating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:05 am 

rtsblwn wrote:
the rotors are a powdercoated finish and are not teflon anything. eatons have proven successful in draw through carbed apps as it is already sealed and prepared for vaccume conditions (post the throttle bodys) in all oem applications. bearing wear is questionable but 2 cycles run crank roller bearings in fuel heavy conditions without problem..so i dunno. im not really concerned..there are many meth/ h20/ n20 combos out there with eatons and no problems...i think those with problems are often the loudest and you dont hear much from the majority out there havin a good time!

Yes but those 2 cycles also tend to have oil in the gas to allow for proper lubrication, e85 is very dry in comparison.

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:15 pm 

your talkin to a life long two stroke opperator and banshee enthusiest!

amsoil at 75:1 isnt much for lube..but i still dont think its a problem for eatons..this is proven stuff by now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:57 pm 

Hehehe... Ever since I had a little 2 stroke single on a tiller seize at 50:1, I still stick with 25:1... :lol:

It's amazing how much heat you can make when you aren't moving all that fast... :lol:

I'm more of the snowmobile kind of 2-stroke guy.. =)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:22 pm 

rtsblwn wrote:
me too. its probably a ihi twin screw.....

Yep, that's what it is. Scored it for $60 at u-pull it. Someone had already taken the twin IC's though, so I was kinda pissed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 am 

gamefoo21 wrote:
Hehehe... Ever since I had a little 2 stroke single on a tiller seize at 50:1, I still stick with 25:1... :lol:

It's amazing how much heat you can make when you aren't moving all that fast... :lol:

I'm more of the snowmobile kind of 2-stroke guy.. =)

i worked as a commercial landscape equipment repair mechanic for a big shop for about 4 years...we did some large accounts in north scottsdale and were required to undergo failure analysis inservices from some big manufactures like echo, shindawa, stihl, ect...many 2 stroke seizures and lower bearing failures were caused by dirt/ dust intake and bad gas or varnish believe it or not. back pack blowers run under some seriously tough conditions in phoenix AZ. lean air fuel ratios were also cause to many failures, but hardley any premix related failures in the thousands of machines i have been into personally...maybe a scuffed piston on occasion when someone forgot oil and it seized..never seen a siezed lower end from lack of lube personally. the hybrid 2/4 strokes run very lean 50:1 mix for the top and bottom end lubrication...not argueing..just dont think it will pose as an issue..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:08 pm 

got some federal ss 595 in 185/55/14 on their way. they look like a nice tire..we shall see.

Attachments:
product_photos-small_image-3537-88x.jpg
product_photos-small_image-3537-88x.jpg [ 7.72 KIB | Viewed 6130 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:06 am 

Looking great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next