TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:24 am 

Question - (on my new engine rebuild + GTBBT25) I have never seen or run cams like this before, but I am having a hard time getting the engine to idle Below 1300-1400 RPM .... is this normal for these cams? It may be a vaccum leak?, but it smooths out with good 20" vaccum after this.

The 210/340 cams were part of a head I purchased. ported etc. so it seemed like a good deal.

I am suspecting an issue because I can not get the idle up with the adjustment screw either, need to put my foot in to it abit.

I have a wide band on it and at 1400 and above it have good readings, 14 -14.5 below vaccum drops and stumbles then dies

Just do not want to chase things that I do not need to.

Thanks

Attachments:
DSCN3272.JPG
DSCN3272.JPG [ 244.78 KIB | Viewed 678 times ]

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 am 

That's a lot of cam for a turbo motor. You're using the stock computer with a piggyback?
If so, maybe a Sandro chip, or put in a smaller cam. If you have a stock intake cam, it will work fine with that exh. cam (for now), and get you on the road. If you want another perf. intake cam we might be able to work something out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:12 am 

I bet it doesn't want to idle when your closed throttle switch is on, putting the engine on base timing. when you give it some gas you get a lot more advance, giving it a chance to idle. you should try disconnecting this wire.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:51 pm 

turbohull wrote:
I bet it doesn't want to idle when your closed throttle switch is on, putting the engine on base timing. when you give it some gas you get a lot more advance, giving it a chance to idle. you should try disconnecting this wire.

By closed throttle switch you mean TPS ? could I not just adjust this and accomplish the same thing?

I can also advance timeing more taking it out with my piggy back

Basic question is what are these cams like for idling, I was just not sure if I have a small vaccum leak

And from the sounds of it it just tuning for the cams

Thanks

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:57 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
That's a lot of cam for a turbo motor. You're using the stock computer with a piggyback?
If so, maybe a Sandro chip, or put in a smaller cam. If you have a stock intake cam, it will work fine with that exh. cam (for now), and get you on the road. If you want another perf. intake cam we might be able to work something out.

I know its alot of cam - but this was a good deal and I wanted to see how it will run. Its not a daily driver.

In regard to sandro chip - I think I can tune my piggy back "Turbo link" to give me what I need. If its timing it needs, then I can do that and then take it out in the program. I can also add the fuel up top with the extra injector/s.

What can these cams idle at if tuned properly is th emain question?

The engine is all together and I do not want to disturb it just yet - I will want to dyno it and see what up.

Thanks

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 pm 

They should idle, but rough. At or just under 1000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:29 pm 

suprf1y wrote:

...with around 10-12 inches of vacume, as long as you've got reasonable compression ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:56 pm 

suprf1y wrote:

I can confirm this, my gf has the same cams in her GTi. It isn't turbo though.

- 0,5mm oversized pistons
- mildly ported head, 1,7mm taken off
- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- 40mm throttle and intake manifold
- srd underdrive pulley
- AASCO 3kg flywheel with GTi clutch
- GTi catback
- deleted cat, now 2" ss pipe
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- 35mm lower Apex front and rear springs
- GTi sway bar
- Turbinetech underbody brace
- Ultra Racing upper strut bar

0-100kph: unknown seconds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:12 pm 

Sounds about right. I have BD10's in my turbo'd gti (a little more aggressive @ 215/345) and it will run at 1000 rpm, but it idles much better at 1200. I couldn't get it all the way up there with the idle screw alone either, I had to adjust the throttle stop and re-adjust the TPS to match.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm 

airwerks wrote:
Sounds about right. I have BD10's in my turbo'd gti (a little more aggressive @ 215/345) and it will run at 1000 rpm, but it idles much better at 1200. I couldn't get it all the way up there with the idle screw alone either, I had to adjust the throttle stop and re-adjust the TPS to match.

Thanks (to all) this all makes sense now - so how do you like the response from the cams in a turbo situation?

At least its all tuning now ? I was going to play with the stop and TPS next and see what happens.

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 am 

wgotzman wrote:
airwerks wrote:

Thanks (to all) this all makes sense now - so how do you like the response from the cams in a turbo situation?

At least its all tuning now ? I was going to play with the stop and TPS next and see what happens.

I like them, but my setup is limited by the stock ecu with a turbo chip. I'm hoping once I put the standalone in that I've had for forever the car finally should really wake up. It feels like the cams are just starting to come on when it hits the 7600 RPM spark cut in Garndi's chip.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:28 am 

That would be about right.
You should put a milder intake cam in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:43 pm 

I'm using a very simular profile [212/.340] in my racing car which is turbocharged w/ no problems whatsoever. Idles at 1,000rpm just fine once set. However; 1,200rpm gives the smoothest idle. I using an aftermarket ECU though; which allow me adjusting fueling accordingly. I would strongly advise installing some kind fuel controller preferable an fully progammable ECU vs a piggyback system.

Cheers
MF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:07 pm 

I ran this grind of cam in a Mk1 GTi, with R1 carbs and a recurved dizzy, about 8 years ago. Idle was absolutely rock-solid at 1000rpm, with no hunting or deviation. Even with the turbo, with some tuning you should be able to achieve the same. On my car, the way they were set up, it made its best power from 2500 to 6500 - similar power range to a stock engine but just a fair bit more area under the curve. Playing with advancing and retarding them just shifted the curve up and down but that range best suited the cars intended purpose. What rev range is your turbo best suited to? Match your cams to that and you should go fine!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:17 pm 

FormerMember wrote:
I ran this grind of cam in a Mk1 GTi, with R1 carbs and a recurved dizzy, about 8 years ago. Idle was absolutely rock-solid at 1000rpm, with no hunting or deviation. Even with the turbo, with some tuning you should be able to achieve the same. On my car, the way they were set up, it made its best power from 2500 to 6500 - similar power range to a stock engine but just a fair bit more area under the curve. Playing with advancing and retarding them just shifted the curve up and down but that range best suited the cars intended purpose. What rev range is your turbo best suited to? Match your cams to that and you should go fine!

Thanks for the input - its interesting that you say the power range is much lower than what others have been saying. Is this because of the Carbs maybe, My turbo spools quick 4-5 PSI by 3000 RPM T25BBGT which should make a good match if you are right

So far I have been able to get it to idle pretty good but higher 1200-1300, still breaking in engine. No real tuning and been away.

Thanks again

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert