TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 pm 

Hello,

I'm a new guy here on this community.
First my excuse for the language mistakes, I hope that you can understand me.

I own a Suzuki Swift 1L with 3 cil. (G10A) and simple said, I want more power.
So I went looking for a turbo, because I know that there are more 3 cil. motors with standard a turbo on it.
Now I saw these complete kit on Ebay and I was wondering what you think of this.
It is a standard kit what the seller sells for every car and I know that you have to make parts by your self.
I have the materials or service to make things self, so thats no problem.
Or do you know someone who have used this kit?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:17 pm 

turbo,intercooler,piping way to big! not worth it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm 

Those cheap eBay turbo kits use very cheap parts. I've read reviews of those and the parts don't last very long. You'd be better off waiting and saving up for one of these kits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 pm 

As far as ebay goes hard parts are good and they cant really screw them up. The turbos i have seen work fine as long as you dont push tem hard but they wear out quick. Basically all you need to buy and spend the money on is turbo, manifold, and fuel management. The ebay plumbing, bov, intercooler, oil return kits,......... all of that stuff is good from ebay. But thats my 2cents. I am running those ebay items on my car and never had a problem out of them. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:09 am 

Thanks for the answer.

I think that I go buy a small second hand turbo here and build my own manifold.
The intercooler and pipe kit are not so expensive, I will search on Ebay.
And I go look around what is available.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 am 

I have again a question;
Where connect you the hoses for the oil of the cooling/lubrication for the turbo?
I saw rings/plates that you put between the oilfilter and hear people say that you can weld a socket on the carterpan (black box below the engine, I'm not sure its a english word, excuse me), but what is good for the flowing?
Ans is it always naccesery to use a extern oilcooler when you drive on 9 psi (0.6 bar)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:20 am 

stephennmm wrote:
As far as ebay goes hard parts are good and they cant really screw them up. The turbos i have seen work fine as long as you dont push tem hard but they wear out quick. Basically all you need to buy and spend the money on is turbo, manifold, and fuel management. The ebay plumbing, bov, intercooler, oil return kits,......... all of that stuff is good from ebay. But thats my 2cents. I am running those ebay items on my car and never had a problem out of them. Thanks Stephen

I really like your setup! And I think I agree.. the hard parts look decent.. spend the money where you said, sounds reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 am 

Yes I also agree, I have now a turbo from a 3 cil. 1l charade turbo, an IHI RHB5. For the first tests I think its oke.
On ebay I will buy a intercooler and the piping set.
Only thing is the oil pipes what I don't now for sofare.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:25 pm 

niels v.v wrote:
Hello,

I'm a new guy here on this community.
First my excuse for the language mistakes, I hope that you can understand me.

I own a Suzuki Swift 1L with 3 cil. (G10A) and simple said, I want more power.
So I went looking for a turbo, because I know that there are more 3 cil. motors with standard a turbo on it.
Now I saw these complete kit on Ebay and I was wondering what you think of this.
It is a standard kit what the seller sells for every car and I know that you have to make parts by your self.
I have the materials or service to make things self, so thats no problem.
Or do you know someone who have used this kit?
Thanks in advance.

I asked and he said he could sell it for $100 less w/o the turbo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:47 pm 

All you need is a http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/28-Front ... ccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOV-TURB ... ccessories
Here are what you need. You dont need a turbo timer or any of that stuff. The main stuff you need which will cut way down on the cost is intercooler, plumbing, and bov. The adapter for the oil filter is for when your turbo will be in the way of the filter. The oil feed comes from the head and the return you can weld a bung into the oil pan or if you want to do it nice like i am this time
http://cgi.ebay.com/TURBO-OIL-DRAIN-RET ... 4cf0d08991
Chances are your running the stocktb so all you need is a 2" pipe and smaller turbos are usually 2" outlet. So this will match it all and keep spool time down and keep the turbo from working as hard filling the little extra space if you run a real small turbo. Hope this helps Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 am 

Thanks for the answers.
With your opinion, I think its better to make first the primary things, and test the setup.
After a good run I will invest in things like a timer, gauges or better parts.

Also I find this pages;
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=125
Which are useful tips and pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:12 am 

I am now looking for a 2'' intercooler piping set, but is this nessacery? Works it also with a 2,5'' set or can me give that problems?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:13 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you need to understand the correlation between pipe diameter and sir velocity as it flows in the pipe.

smaller diameter piping maintains a higher velocity for a given pressure. larger diameter piping will slow air down.

when i looked at designing my intercooling system, i used 2" thinwall aluminum tubing with mandrel bends from the turbo to the intercooler. most air to air intercoolers are really big with regard to the turbo and since they are so big, they slow the air flow down a bunch. part of that is a good thing because it gives more latency, more exposure of the heated compressed air to the cooling fins.

also, the most common size the you'll find for things like blow off valve adapter pipes and intercooler inleats and outlets will be 2.5".

i'm using a water to air intercooler with 2.5" inlet and outlet holes. that was the smallest i/c i could find. i don't mind, though, because that will give me some contact time in the i/c. i drop the diameter right out of the intercooler to the 1 7/8" throttle body inlet which should get the air velocity back up.

the ideal dimensions for theoretical laminar flow would be calculated having a straight run of pipe the same diameter as the throttle body inlet that would be 10 times the diameter. (2" diameter x 10 = 20") that would allow the air flow to "straighten" out, air velocity to stabilize, attain laminar characteristics, etc.

i realize how unlikely that is given the area we have to work with. still, a good rule of thumb is to keep the number of bends to a minimum, keep the pipe runs as straight as you can, and keep the runs as short as you can. keep in mind that air acts like a spring. if you have too much area, the air flow will get "lazy" and take longer for pressure to react. it will take longer for the compressor to build pressure every time the blow off valve operates.

look how short i kept my charge air piping.

i have about 20" total of 2" piping before the charge air hits the water to air intercooler. then the cooled compressed air leaves the i/c and dumps right into the intake plenum through the throttle body. to save space and pipe length, i mounted the bov and intake air temperature sensors right onto the intercooler.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:40 am 

Thanks for your explanation, I really like your project.
A water to air cooler is an option, but I have an other airinlet then you, I have to make a cap that I can put on the trotle valve. There are a few things where I have to think about it.
An other option is a intercooler with the air flow trough the hood, just like a standard impreza.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:31 pm 
Suzuki Elder

n1tr0 did one like that. he built a custom intake manifold with a top mounted air to air i/c.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am 

Does anyone know how far the standard ECU can control the inlet pressure on a standard g10a 3 cyl. 1L engine?
My plan is to ride on 9 psi (0.6 bar) but will give this problems to the fuel injection?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:58 pm 
The Smuggler

niels v.v wrote:
Does anyone know how far the standard ECU can control the inlet pressure on a standard g10a 3 cyl. 1L engine?
My plan is to ride on 9 psi (0.6 bar) but will give this problems to the fuel injection?

My T3 runs at 9.5PSI stock no controller, and a stock ECU plus a 2.25" exhaust system.
My AFR guage will show on the low side of green at higher RPMS, but have never run into any issues with the stock ECU

I believe anthing over 10 psi will need extra fueling by means of extra injector or larger injectors to be on the safe side.
but you are running on the edge of the stock system at 10 and up.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 am 

Thats nice, so that is a problem less.

I have a question for t3 ragtop, the hole with treath on the picture where you turn a plug in for the oil return, have you drill a hole into the same room where the crackshaft will turn? Or in a space between the outside and the same room where the crackshaft will turn? Hope that you will understand me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:23 am 
Suzuki Elder

all the g10 blocks have that boss. it was used on the turbo3 as the oil return.

you bore a hole all the way through the block and the angle takes the hole into one of the 3 oil return galleys that come from the head to the oil sump, a factory oil return path.

the returned oil drips down to the oil pan's crank splash shield where any foam has a chance to lose air bubbles from the froth before it drips back into the sump. the crank sits above that splash shield which is welded into the oil pan at the top.

not such a good illustration of the oil return but you can get an idea.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:50 pm 

Thanks for the explenation!
The drawing is nice, I have print it big (A3) and hang it above my bed, sirious!

This is a picture how fare I am, my brother have make the manifold;