TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Horse power numbers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 pm 

I wanted to see what horse power numbers and dyno sheets if possible. I will try to get mine and post it. It is in my other car at a friends house and i have to get another tranny in my daily befor i can go get it so hopefully the yards to the south of me have something. My numbers last time on 8psi was 152whp and 148lbtq. On 12psi the turbo wasnt handling too well was only 157whp and 152lbtq.
I had a garret off a single turbo 300z.
turbine tech equal length header
half ass made 3in exhaust
msd ignition
ms3.57
ebay intercooler kit
and the trans was a 3.78 geo trans. This was done in 4th gear

I dont know if it makes a difference but it was set as a 3800lb cobra when it was done.
I just wanted to see everyones numbers and if they have proof to some of the outragous whp numbers ive heard. Ive heard numbers in the low 200whp for a half baked non tuned 8psi on stock motor and 12psi was in the high like 270whp range. I was just wanting to see what everyones numbers and set ups were. Im about to just toss on a kit for 5psi on my daily with stock ecu for a little extra for my 3.78 final drive i have. I will post the video as long as i can figure out how to do it. Thanks Stephen

Post subject: Re: Horse power numbers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:55 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l82-bL_toiw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu6rKkJMVAQ there are the 2 links i couldnt figure out how to uploud it here

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 am 

Try here

http://www.redlinegti.com/dyno/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:13 am 

Does anyone know how to convert the kw to tq??? On there is the perfect example of what im talking about. Either ther dynos are way off or some of the people are lieing. On the na part there are guys claiming stock and they are doing almost 120whp and other guys stock are saying 76whp. With the turbo part i know the bigger the turbo the more power and i can understand why dmw and the top guys have high numbers from theyre large turbos and built motors but on some of the smaller turbo ones on 15-20psi they are at 150-200whp. I know everyones setup is different and someguys arent telling all of what they did but some of the numbers sound really low comparing. It could be the dyno that are being used are different. One more example is the first turbo kit i bought was from kyle i think his name was and his kit was a stock t25 of a z32 300z with a stock mk3 supra intercooler the same turbine tech header and a split second for fuel which was bad when i got it. But i used the same turbo used a ms2 used a nice ebay front mount and did everything right and our numbers were way different. He claimed like 202whp at 8psi and on the same 8 psi i only did 152whp with using better parts and the same turbo header. Is there that much difference between dynos??? And my other question sense i dont know the conversion is is everyone on the lower boost making about the same whp as tq??? Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:46 am 

(Torque X RPM) / 5252 = Horsepower

Bascially engines such as those put together by DMWDave are well optimised internally with great flowing head, optimised exhaust and intake breathing and well matched turbo and cams and good tuning (amoung other things).

Other cars might be somewhat limited by their setups in one or more of these areas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:11 am 

you see, that makes more sense. your first post you say 200hp @ 8psi and 270 @ 12. I can't find anywhere someone who claims that much hp.

you last post you say 15-20 psi = 150-200whp. THAT makes sense and is totally possible, even with a stock head. now if you managed to put out 152 Whp at only 8 psi I would suspect that YOUR dyno is wrong :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:08 pm 

KW X 1.341 = HP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:58 pm 

My car made 119hp/113tq at 6.6psi.

I'm sure a lot of that was due to no standalone(only a Garndi turbo mapped chip) but now I'm running 10 psi and BD10's and I KNOW I'm nowhere between 200-270hp you quoted earlier. I'm betting more like 150 atw, but I'm not going to dyno it again untill I get the standalone in it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:13 pm 

I had looked up the numbers right after i got that turbo kit and that was mainly what i foundwas about 200 for 8psi and 12psi was like 250. I know it was about the same as suzukird claims. The other number i posted was from that list that he posted.I know the dyno i had used compared to the others around here is a little stingy. I know of multiple cars who dynoed there and went straight down the street to another because they were pissed theyre numbers were lower then they thought they should be. One did 400whp on the one i used and made about 450whp on the one down the street. So i dont think its high i think i would have got a bit higher on the other one. What type of tourque numbers is everyone getting. Thats what i thought the kw was sence they post hp and then kw. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 am 

airwerks wrote:
My car made 119hp/113tq at 6.6psi.

I'm sure a lot of that was due to no standalone(only a Garndi turbo mapped chip) but now I'm running 10 psi and BD10's and I KNOW I'm nowhere between 200-270hp you quoted earlier. I'm betting more like 150 atw, but I'm not going to dyno it again untill I get the standalone in it.

On standard ECU and MAF sensor the map has been optimised around particular parts for fuel and timing. The MAF sensor is no doubt maxed out and is providing the same amount of fuel whether there is 5, 7, 10 or whatever boost you are running as the ECU is reading off the same cell reference on the map. It just cant supply any more than this. Only way to adjust is to fool it with fuel pressure regulator thus increasing base fuel pressure.

You will find with that chip you will probably be maxing out around 135whp. Is a good chip as beyond this you will have problems with diffs, cwps, fuel pump, injectors etc etc needing upgrading.

You will get more with aftermarket ecu and, as you will no doubt be using MAP sensor, you can optimise fuel and timing for your parts and for the fuel grade used (the garndi chip designed on 91 RON fuel, by adding a couple of degrees timing on 95 RON fuel I got a couple of extra Kw's).

General comments on dyno readings

Dyno's are a tuning tool. When used to give max hp readings they are easy to fool by changing variables (everything from the temp sensor at intake pipe, tyre pressures, how the car is tied down, ramp rates, gear run done in and recorded gear ratio amoung other things). Lots of dyno's in Australia are dyno dynamics and we use the "shoot out" mode. This is designed to lock some of the variables to improve accuracy. I have seen one car run on two dynos side by side and result was a couple of hp on a 1200hp car.

For a rough guide to horsepower possible. You can see my setup on the list. 163fwhp at 11psi. Lots of variables but would suggest that a system that is reasonably well designed will give you 7-9 whp per pound of boost (this is the ultimate roughest measure!).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:21 am 

Ok thanks. Just wondering but how come from over sea whenever listing dyno it is always listed whp and then kw??? Sorry im dumb i know. Just trying to understand it. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:54 am 
Main twit

here is a very good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffomhPR2tOE

at 15psi, it made 194hp / 190tq

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:46 pm 

The only thing is that was 3rd gear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:07 pm 
Main twit

stephennmm wrote:
The only thing is that was 3rd gear

theres very little difference in figures when in 3rd gear compared to 4th.

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:49 pm 

how much is very little??? Wouldnt it be what ever percent is diff from 3rd to 4th??? 1.375 to 1.030. That would be a bit of a difference if so. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 am 

may not be a dyno sheet, hes not pullin blazin quarter or eighth mile times, but this vid still give me an erection, every time :D

- 84 K5 Blazer, 12 inches of lift on SS 44's
- DD: 99 F150 4.6L V8 Ext. Cab, Longbox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:00 pm 

stephennmm wrote:
how much is very little??? Wouldnt it be what ever percent is diff from 3rd to 4th??? 1.375 to 1.030. That would be a bit of a difference if so. Thanks Stephen

about 5whp.

since he has tq readings he had rpm pickup this makes things just that much more reliable. Otherwise its just speed over time with a known weight (drum). Still reliable but no tq since the dyno doesn't have rpm.

now....dynos are easy to manipulate. Not likely though. Either way...its just a number

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm 

Thats my swift:) yes it was a 3rd gear pull but i also did a 4th gear pull too and it was the same.
extremerider wrote:
here is a very good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffomhPR2tOE

at 15psi, it made 194hp / 190tq

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 pm 

i have very heavily worked head, .5mm over valves, custom wiseco 9:1 pistons and a stock 1g DSM 14b turbo -- running 8psi on stock ecu/maf/injectors i put down 193whp/168ft-lb. It was slightly lean so we turned boost down to 6psi and made 160whp with something like 150ft-lb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:23 pm 

ok new numbers with new setup. I put down a wapping 100whp and 150lbtq. That was 4-6psi and blowing out spark befor 4000rpms. I dont think thats too bad. Ill post up when i fix my spark problem