TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm 

Looking for a Shove I the right direction.
Could someone please link me a good information Topic about MegaSquirt?

I will need to perches one and need to know what will work for me and what won't. I have very good computer skills and I can solder as well. I have a 2000 Chevy Metro 3 cyl and will be converting to T3 topend with a Mitsubishi Td04- 9b turbo. This will be the first Forced Induction convert I have ever done so I want some help finding something for Fuel Management (MegaSquirt).

I'm looking for Info Like do I need MegaSquirt1 MegaSquirt2 MegaSquirt3? I am still a newbie at this and Im in the research phase of the Project.

Awaiting response,
Trevor

Last edited by didriksen on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:27 am 

Do a search on posts by caaarlo. He is the megasquirt guru here (had a turbo GTi).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:23 am 
Teamswift Racer

Honestly I would recommend buying a good quality commercial 2nd hand ecu, learn how to wire and program that first, it's such a big project if you have never done one, once it works then perhaps build a megasquirt and sell your other ecu, you will probably get 90% back what you paid for it.

MS is quite a good unit but it is a hobby ecu and a huge amount of knowledge is required, you will have enough to deal with the turbo conversion without dealing with all the other MS issues and configuration problems, find a tuner in your area you can trust and see what ecu's he can tune so if you get really stuck at least you will have someone you can seek help from.

Not being pessimistic but I have seen a LOT of half finish projects sold because there was too much work and it was all too hard.

One step at a time, no matter how good your 'solder' skills are :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:00 am 
Suzuki Elder

here's caaarlo's web page. keep in mind that his very well executed project uses an older mega squirt version and not the current stuff. the guide is still well worth the read as it shows interfaces with the stock wiring and that will save a lot of time working out the connections.

http://caaarlo.50megs.com/

i agree with dattman, you have to be a very experienced electronics hobbyist to cope with building and tuning a mega squirt unit. there are so many places to get stuck on the mega squirt project that without experience with the bits and pieces, soldering, wiring, and using the software to flash .bin files, etc. it all takes a bunch of time. the mechanical work is still only about half of the project, you still have to go through all the tuning steps and if you don't truly understand what's going on there, you can send an engine to the scrap heap.

one of the biggest hurdles for me was to get a handle on what i could and couldn't do with the mega squirt and then settle on what controls i was going to use. the kit then requires those control options to be built into the unit. that means that you have to go another step to select and acquire even more hardware to support the control options.

don't forget all the stuff you need in the way of computer hardware to support the mega squirt. you'll need a suitable laptop with serial data capability to program the unit and the stimulator to simulate engine operation while bench testing. mega squirt is maybe the cheapest way to go, monetarily, but it's still pretty doggone expensive - $1000+ to get things running.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 am 

You can pick up a ms for $400 built and a $60 harness. You dont need the stimulator board and all if you do it this way. Then if you want you can decide what parts you want and dont want on the motor. Like getting rid of the maf and using a map sensor and getting rid of the distributer and running a edis setup. Im not too sure how they set those up on the 3cyl or if they can. I would imagine they figured that out but buying the built computer and wiring harness will make it so so much easier and prob cost about the same as if you bought it yourself from buying the stimulator board and all that you would need.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

edis works on 3 cylinders by using a 6 cylinder coil pack and control unit and grounding the superfluous spark towers. the twincam would use the standard 4 cylinder edis.

i watch the used market for mega squirt controls, too. i've also seen a lot of questionable soldering but i'm a real picky sob.

diyauto still doesn't offer an ms v3.57 as a drop in for suzuki swift but i've seen 2 mega squirt systems sold on the board, here. they lasted a mere couple of hours before they were snatched up. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:58 pm 

Ya they dont make one for the 3cyl yet but they do make one for the gt dohc. Its the same as mazda plug. If you buy the wirining harness it is labeled on the wires where they go to so its not that difficult and can be done in a few hours. You should be able to find enough of a base tune to get it running. Hope it helps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:49 pm 

caaarlo's stuff is outdated. since he was recompiling the .inc files for the temp sensors why bother changing the bias resistors? I had to recompile his (otherwise great) custom code so we didn't have to change our bias resistors. now with MS2 the swift GT trigger wheel is already integrated in the code.

but all this doesn't even apply to a 3 cylinder. wiring the 3 cylinder engine is THE most easy and simple MS installation. it has a standard trigger wheel, a standard coil which you can decide to use either the internal or stock igniter, then you wire the existing coolant and TPS sensors, add the IAT on the IC outlet and you're done. MS1 is just as simple to wire, but you have to do some code compiling for the coolant sensor. I'd go with MS2 extra. then when you want to upgrade the ignition you'll already have the ECU for it. Dattman is right, it is for the hobbyist. but who here isn't a hobbyist when it comes to turbocharging a 20year old vehicle? either a MS or a copyrighted EMS, if you don't have tuning skills you'll most likely end up paying someone to do it. choose what your tuner is comfortable to deal with. we found a tuner near us that works with MS. some tuners won't touch them with a 20ft pole :huh: it depends who you deal with.

MS3 is far too advanced and costly to justify using it on a simple engine like this. MS2 can do ALL you might need and more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:34 pm 

Turbohull,
Let's assume a starting point of a factory built MSII with 3.0 PCB with MS2 extra 2.x firmware. Assume batch fire, fuel & spark control, and all 3 cyl engines. Assume MegaTune v 2.25 p3.

You say the 3 cyl disty trigger is "standard". Does that translate to "basic trigger" in "Spark Mode"?
I notice there's a choice for Daihatsu 3 cyl, any relevance?

The OBDII bottom end has a 6 pointed crank trigger wheel & oem sensor. Would you advise taking advantage of dual wheel mode or is it unnecessary complication?

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 pm 

Yes it's basic trigger, as it has 1 tooth per cylinder. I beleive the daihatsu has a 4 teeh custom wheel, they had problems implementing it.

Edit didn't read the full post ...

For your obd2 engine i'd take advantage of the crank wheel, butaybe not in a dual wheel mode unless it's necessary. Shave off 1 tooth and set it as a 6-1